1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

New member - First post - my frustrations on yesterday’s game

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by SteelerFaninSocal, Sep 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SteelerFaninSocal

SteelerFaninSocal Member

Sep 10, 2018
    New member here. I’ve lived in Southern California my whole life but have been a huge Steeler fan since I was 12 years old in the early 80’s. I just registered and did so because I’m pissed about yesterday’s game and need to vent lol:

Obviously, another very winnable game turned into a tie thanks (mostly) to Big Ben, and on a lesser scale Mike Tomin. Ben continues to regress. Five turnovers is a complete joke. The top tier QB’s just never do that and Ben seems to have 2 or 3 games like this a year. He continues to just try to make every play a home run when he doesn’t need to. So how does a vet who’s supposed to be one of the best in the league single handedly lose this game? He just isn’t in that class anymore. There is way too much talent all around Ben for him to play like this. I put Ben somewhere between 16 and 18 in QB rankings in a league that’s stronger overall at QB than ever.

Tomlin is a horrible head coach.
    Most Steeler fans seem to agree on this point. Bens woeful showing is overshadowing Tomlin in this case, but any bad loss like this falls on the Head Coach IMO. Specifically, we had 12
    Penalties. That falls on coaching. There was also the conservative calls in OT that resulted in the missed FG. Granted, every head coach seems to follow this script, but Tomlin, as usual, was oblivious to the conditions and situation. He just followed his script. For a team absolutely loaded with talent to have games like this year after year is all Tomlin.

And i am so sick of seeing that wide eyed, deer in the headlights, look on his face after every bone headed play we make and his “gotta give the other team credit” post game conferences are so laughable. The Rooney’s are loyal to a fault, but another underachieving season might finally be enough.

The positive of course is James Connor’s performance. He showed us all that he’s really good and also how much credit the O-Line deserves for Bell’s success. He had some gaping holes. See you week 11 Bell.
    Enjoy your professional suicide

It’s Great to be here! Hopefully we turn things around next week.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
  3. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Welcome and I agree with everything you posted. Warning... there's a few members here who frown upon constructive criticism of players, coaches and front office. Just a heads up. :cool:

4. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    are you criticizing our criticism of you criticizing? :lolol::cool:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 7
    • Like Like x 1
  5. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    I blame Tomlin for 2 things

1. settling for a fg in OT. Conditions were awful and you could tell bos was not going to make it. That is playing scared
    2. Not using a RB to spell conner. This is just Tomlin's nature.

The rest of the game was lost because of a multitude of things

Weather, ben holding on to the ball too long, turnovers that were 50% on ben, going haley mode while being up 21-7, conner playing scared after fumbling, Sutton not doing hot after haden going down.

if you want to look at it from a deeper perspective, it's game 1, on the road. Ben= history of low scoring on the road. Game 1= Ben's Steelers history of starting slow.

AND if you want to just look at it from a simple point of view. many turnovers = likely loss.

lol

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. DSteelerCT

DSteelerCT Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2011
    Welcome, good first post.

7. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    1 post in and he's already blocked by glenn lol

• Hilarious Hilarious x 8
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    I think it was Tomlin proving a point to Bell that he will run a back 31 times regardless who that back is, so quit whining about being over used.....

9. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    not whining, just saying I don't blame tomlin for this loss, I just don't like that he does that lol

10. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    I meant tomlin was saying to bell quit whining about being over used......

• Like Like x 1
  11. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    Welcome to he board.

I too am sickened of our performance Sunday, but sadly not surprised.

We have a culture of tolerating a bad or sub par early season team performance. That is mostly on Tomlin.

Ben does not have the burning desire for perfection, to be ready to play ala Tom Brady, and Tomlin should know that by now so we could expect it is Tomlin`s role to push Ben to be ready. Pushing a vet like Ben is not Tomlin`s way. He is not that kind of coach. That is Tomlin`s greatest weakness as a coach. However, an argument could be made Ben would rather retire than be pushed to be game ready at the start of the season.

We do not play the offensive starters much in preseason from what I have seen. There is an obvious gamble there. Injury in a "meaningless" preseason game vs finding out if your "lazy" or slow to get doing QB is ready to play at a high level. It seems to me the coach and player are on the same page, just do what they are doing now and take your chances on a slow start, try to make the playoffs during the season, let the playoff seeding fall as it may. I see no change coming to this approach.

I ask Tomlin supporters to consider this. Can you imagine the Evil Emperor ever letting his team start a season looking like we do? Hmm?

12. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    I get ya. Bell will show up very soon, especially if Conner keeps producing like that.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    The Chiefs game this Sunday will tell us all we need to know about the 2018 Steelers.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. SteelerFaninSocal

SteelerFaninSocal Member

Sep 10, 2018
    I don’t think so. Tomlin doesn’t have that kind of savvy. Tomlin always tries way too hard to be a players coach, so I wouldn’t be surprised if the O-line and Connor went to Tomlin and told him they wanted to show Bell what’s up so he may have been following orders lol

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  15. TheMatrixHasYou

TheMatrixHasYou Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2018

Great, another constant complainer who is only a "fan" because he loves to hate on the team.

Ben doesn't "continue" to regress. The playoff game against the Jaguars Ben threw for 469 yards, and 5 TD. They were the better team.

Five turnovers is a complete joke? Welcome to the NFL! You might want to put your seatbelt on because it's going to be a bumpy ride.

I agree that Ben tries to make every play a home run when he doesn't need to. I hate it when he throws it deep on 3rd and 1 plays instead of just running 1 yard to get the first down. But that's Ben. It's always been Ben. You take the bad with the good.

Ben single handedly lost the game because he's the QB. A lot of our best players did not play well. Villanueva was getting beat. So were DeCastro and Gilbert. Boswell missed a game winner. That's football.

Ben is the 4th best QB in the league behind Brady, Rodgers, Brees, and maybe Ryan. One poor performance every year doesn't change that.

Tomlin is not a horrible coach. We were 13-3 last season and almost beat the Jaguars to move on. The Patriots have lost 3 super bowls, do you see Patriot fans calling Belichick a horrible coach?

We had 12 penalties and that is on the coach? And the Browns had 11 penalties. If Boswell makes that kick no one cares about the penalties.

Conservative calls resulted in the missed field goal? What?!?!? You're kookoo for cocoa puffs. 90% of the time Boswell makes that kick but he's not perfect. You must have lost a lot of money on that game. Gambling is a sin.

It's a tie. The season is not over, it's actually just starting. I just think that some of you guys can't handle the NFL.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2018
    • Like Like x 4
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  16. TheTerribleOwl

TheTerribleOwl Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2017
    I wish Tomlin would stop turning the ball over and committing penalties.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. DSteelerCT

DSteelerCT Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2011
    Ryan sucks and is extremely overrated!!

18. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Yeah maybe.....stupid point to make

19. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    I am......I do......me neither

• Like Like x 1
  20. TheMatrixHasYou

TheMatrixHasYou Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2018
    You guys have impossible standards that no one can live up to.

21. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    Agreed. I do think most fans like Tomlin. I don't like him at all. He didn't commit 6 turnovers yesterday but he's responsible for this team and it plays well below it's talent far too often for me. That's on the head coach.

22. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Wow classy way to greet a new member....he has a different opinion than you,how dare he? " That's football" doesn't justify the 5 TOs,12 penalties and questionable coaching that is becoming more the norm than a outlier. Yes it's early ....doesn't mean he or anyone else can't express his feelings like he said he was doing ,hence the use of the word vent. I say the same thing every year. The people who complain about people complaining are just as bad. It's a message board where people have and share different viewpoints. It's cool to disagree but try to show a little humility at the same time...

• Agree Agree x 2
  23. MikeFanForLife

MikeFanForLife Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Well it was Cleveland, so let's not anoint Conner the next Bell. I'm done with Tomlin as well. His team is never prepared.

24. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Welcome aboard....

25. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    I was pretty much with you until this. Looks like you awarded them 2 mulligans last season. ;)

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.