1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Time To Cut Le'Veon Bell

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Marko, Sep 6, 2018.

1. TheMatrixHasYou

TheMatrixHasYou Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2018
    I don't like what Bell is doing any more than anyone else but some of you are taking this way too far. He's not a cancer. He did the same thing last season and we went 13-3.

He will show up for the Brown's game. Don't buy into this talk of him skipping the first 10 games. He would lose something like $900,000 for every missed game. There's just no way he's going to lose all that money for only 16 days of work.

The comments by some of the team are frustrated players who are putting in much more work just to earn $2m while Bell skips all of training camp and preseason and is going to get an easy $14 million.

2. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012

They can’t trade someone that’s not under contract. I don’t know why this is so hard for some people to understand. Personally fingers should only be pointing at Bell. The Steelers made solid offers to him and he kept changing his demands. He could pick up the phone and say I will report on this day. Instead he’s choosing to play childish games and only hurting himself in the long run.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    That offer was more than fair especially considering the fact he’s been suspended twice. Not to mention his social media antics.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. TheTerribleOwl

TheTerribleOwl Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2017
    It isn't up to us to decide what is fair for Bell. Both sides need to agree. One side didn't.

5. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    My bad, should have highlighted what I was referring too. You stated they should run the wheels off him, I was replying to that portion of your post. I don't think they should cut him.

They may be able to do something like they did with AB but as far as increasing the tag amount, thats set in stone.

I don't know about that. There comes a time when people are being greedy.

6. TheTerribleOwl

Sep 1, 2017
    I don't think it is greedy to want to get what you think you are worth. And hell, greed is virtue in our country.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  7. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Not a virtue of mine.

And Bell is super greedy, IMO.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Here it is. Don’t know if it’s true or not.
    @TheSteelHurtin2188

9. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Greed is good.

- Gordon Gekko

10. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I just where the Steelers have no intention of releasing him. The article gave no specifics so I figured a link was worthless.

11. Ender

Ender

Apr 5, 2014
    Hard for the Steelers FO to hit a moving target.

Lev: I wanna be the highest paid RB in the league!
    Colbert: ok here's a long-term deal making you the highest paid RB
    Lev: um um...I also wanted to be paid as a WR!
    Colbert: ???

Lev: I need $15 million a year!
    Colbert: ok here's a long-term deal for $15 million a year.
    Lev: um um... I want it all guaranteed!
    Colbert: ???

Bell is behaving like a petulant child. He made demands and when his demands were met he changed them or added to them.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2018
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    A LOT of teams probably wouldn't have done it, along with his other dumb ass antics

13. Frost33

Frost33 Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2014
    No, you don't cut him, you make him play out his contract offer. At this point, I'm not sure what his endgame is. Holding out only makes him lose money and if by some chance he decided to hold out all season, the Steelers still own his rights, he can't just walk at season's end.

Also, this isn't the same thing he did last season. He showed up after the final pre-season game, he didn't sit out a single game. I don't think he's a cancer, he's a distraction for sure. WHEN he comes back, because he will, then we'll see what kind of teammate he'll be or if he will end up being a caner. I'd like to see Bell in the lineup, I think we're a better team with him, but I do like that we're going to get to see Connor and what he can do now.

14. zcoop

zcoop Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2018
    The Player's Association need to get rid of the Franchise Tag crap. That is the genesis of this whole situation. It is a flawed practice that has to be addressed, if not we will see more situations like this with the escalating salaries.

We should've closed this deal last season but we played hard ball.

15. TheTerribleOwl

Sep 1, 2017
    I don't disagree but I also understand why he might be annoyed at still having no control over his own career. He has never gotten to decide where to work or for how much since he came into the league.

16. Coastal Steeler

Coastal Steeler

Oct 16, 2011
    You will not get anything by keeping him. He will come in for the last 6 games and play scared or just fall down when he gets the ball. Then leave after the season for nothing any how

17. FeedTheMachineFTM

FeedTheMachineFTM Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    I Still don't quite understand how some can stand behind him or even justify how he's acting.How many players do get to pick and choose where they get to play for millions,or how they want to be played.These players all have more than they need ,some have performance incentive bonuses if they reach a certain yardage or TD or whatever..But it sure as heck doesn't work the other way around now does it..
    Like Ender said ,they offered to make him what he asked "highest paid RB " in the league..He's being uncooperative and unreasonable

Last edited: Sep 7, 2018
  18. bhandsome08

bhandsome08 Well-Known Member

May 6, 2016
    Expect a lockout when the CBA is up in 2021. RBs are severely underpaid. They stay under a rookie contract for 4-5yrs and then can get tagged 3yrs in a row. That's 7yrs that the team has control over them.
    That's basically the career span of a RB.
    After that they get low balled in FA because the teams run them to ground.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    Alter the CBA to limit contract lengths to [some fraction] of the average career span for the position. Unless the player consents to a longer term.

20. TheTerribleOwl

Sep 1, 2017
    It absolutely does work the other way since teams routinely cut guys with years left on their contract if the team does not think they are worth it anymore. But no one calls the teams disloyal for dumping players as soon as it suits them.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. FeedTheMachineFTM

FeedTheMachineFTM Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    They still get paid! Can walk away from the game in their 20’s as millionaires!
    If they under perform they don’t return any money,there is no under performance clause in a contract

22. Sojourner

Sojourner Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2015
    I don't think the should cut him either. Why let him be a weapon that could be used against us? I was only meaning that unless it was clear he was going to hold out it shouldn't even be considered.

I think that since it's Friday and he still hasn't been seen the odds are a lot better that he's going to be a hold out. Which sucks. If he holds out they won't be able to run the wheels off. And if Connor is doing well, and let's hope that he does, they may not play him much at all when he finally has to show up.

In any event I misread what you were saying. Sorry about that. It was a good point.

• Like Like x 1
  23. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Maybe, but what other profession can you walk in and say I want you to pay me a majority of money up front in addition to your base salary? And you could quit anytime you wanted and get to keep that money?

24. Dustin

Dustin Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2016
    Not going to get much for a one year rental...

25. TheTerribleOwl

Sep 1, 2017
    What other profession would you never have gotten any say in where you work or for how much, even though you've been the best or close to the best at what you do for several years? It is pointless to make these comparisons. Being an NFL player is not like most jobs.