1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Does Bell report today?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by R2sojr, Sep 3, 2018.

1. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    But he is not allowed to negotiate with any one regardless of signing the tag or not. The Steelers control the rights as agreed to in the CBA. He isn't a free agent. He is a franchise tagged player.

2. MattyMo9

MattyMo9 Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2017
    To me this situation is beyond repair now. I know I was in the camp of letting him walk after last year knowing we couldn’t meet on a deal. We should have drafted a RB and used his wasted money on D upgrades. I didn’t know if he would hold out for sure but I was worried he wouldn’t give 100%. Unfortunately I was dead on about that and now what can we do?? UGLY

• Like Like x 1
  3. Coastal Steeler

Coastal Steeler

Oct 16, 2011
    Glenn I am shocked! I thought we were like this and that LOL

4. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    I don't know what's going through Bell's head but here's a scenario. His hope is that the Steelers lose multiple games so that they'll beg for his services, change their policy of never dealing with contracts in the reg season and give him the money he wants. It's totally ridiculous and would never happen but we're talking about Bell here.

5. bhandsome08

bhandsome08 Well-Known Member

May 6, 2016
    Jackson signed for nearly the same amount as his tag and had some good productive years except maybe his last year.

6. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    It’s pretty telling how the Steelers felt by the contract they offered. Really good money, but he was going to have to earn it. They’re smart, not giving out a ton of guaranteed money to a guy who’s been suspended twice not to mention the way he acted last year and his social media antics.

• Like Like x 1
  7. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Ha Ha I’m just trying to psych you up.

8. BobbyBiz

BobbyBiz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Here's what's going through my head.....
    I hope the douche holds out until the 10th game. Tomlin benches him and plays him only on special teams the rest of the season and into the playoffs. In the AFCCG losing 20-14 to the Bengals with :30 left and no TOs on 3rd and 20 from their own 15, Connor takes the draw all the Bengals 1. Clearly out of gas he needs a break. Neither Ridley, Samuels, or Nix can find their helmets and Bell is sent in. Hurriedly he dives over the gl just as Burfict launches at his knees, blowing out his acl in both knees.

That my friends is the way this needs to end.

• Winner Winner x 2
  9. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    I don't agree with @FootballAnalyst98 on this issue but gotta commend him on this 100 vs 1 argument. :biggrin:

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Commend him or feel sorry for him?

11. bhandsome08

May 6, 2016
    And we win SB LIV making it back to back SB wins. :D

12. takenoprisoners1

takenoprisoners1 Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2011
    I like the vision..... only one problem.... how do the bengals get to the AFCCG?

Oh and.... notice how I choose THAT as the issue and just go along with the Steelers calling a draw on 3rd and 20 from their own 15 with no timeouts? Yeah I’m ready for anything

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  13. bhandsome08

May 6, 2016
    They finally win some playoff games.

14. BobbyBiz

Nov 30, 2011
    Don't know. I just want VB to deliver the hit.

Although, I guess that its my dream. Can I change that to the Patriots who acquired VB from the Bengals in a mid season trade?

15. SteelerBark

SteelerBark Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    The deadline to offer a new contract has passed. Because he was franchised, his salary for this year is fixed at that 14.5 million mark or thereabouts. So even IF the Steelers changed their minds and wanted to up their offer...it’s too late, they can’t. Until he signs, he will lose about 900k for every game he misses while ‘holding out.’

So, he’s really not holding out for more money. He actually may miss the first 10 games to eliminate the risk of a major injury which would totally ruin his chances at a big pay day during the free agent period next Spring. If he doesn’t show up by game 11, he will forfeit the right to be a free agent next year.

If he waits until game 11 to show up, he might not even see the field at that point.

All in all, sad situation for both Bell and the organization. But it sucks the most for us fans.

• Like Like x 1
  16. BobbyBiz

Nov 30, 2011
    He's hurting his chances at a big payday by refusing to play to avoid injury. Other teams are noticing. Other players are noticing. Not only is he an injury prone pothead, he's now a guy who's proven to be willing to give less than 100% for his own self interests. That sh*t won't fly in a league where sacrifice is sacred and self interest takes a back seat to the team and the greater good. The douche nozzle is too stupid to realize it.

• Agree Agree x 3
  17. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    But it’s a business and the players support him.

18. black hat

black hat Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    What makes you think ANY team would guarantee 45 million to a player who's already been suspended twice???? Honestly, the risk is just too great, and his best years are likely behind him, especially considering the number of touches he's had. I think any team would be foolish to guarantee him much of anything at this point. Some team might, but I'm sure it'll regret it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Danthesteelersman

Danthesteelersman Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2018
    Fixed

20. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Maybe he can't pass a drug test yet.

21. Trellaine

Trellaine Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2015
    I disagree with my friend re. Rules of putting the franchise tag on a player

Question: can the Steelers negotiate with Bell currently? For a long term contract?

Thanks

22. 4n2t0

4n2t0 New Member

Sep 11, 2015
    No.

23. Trellaine

Trellaine Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2015
    Thanks. I tried telling him that. And he thinks he’s always right. But I won’t text him. He will probably get super defensive.

More peace of mind for me.

24. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    It sucks for the fans and it is sad for the organization, especially Bell's teammates. He is betraying them. That is why you see Pouncey and Foster starting to bash him. That, and their own self-interest. They make him look better, but he makes them look better, too. Foster's going to be looking for a job after this season, so having his running back put up huge numbers would help. I'm not sure Pouncey is as worried about that, assuming he means it when he says he will retire when Roethlisberger retires.

It's not sad for Bell. He deserves any ugly thing that happens to him as a result of this holdout. I get waiting through all of preseason, but now he's screwing over his teammates and I can't respect that.

• Like Like x 1
  25. black hat

black hat Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Ineteresting thought...