1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Bells actions

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by SteelerGlenn, Sep 3, 2018.

1. He being selfish and unreasonable and I'm sick of it

72 vote(s)
    88.9%
  2. He's working within the rules and getting a bad rap

9 vote(s)
    11.1%
  1. bhandsome08

bhandsome08 Well-Known Member

May 6, 2016
    No one has leverage at this point. He can only get the tagged amount.

He can sit out till week 10 to get an accrued season getting him closer toto free agency. The Steelers can keep him tagged all season, no need to rescind.

Bell was offered 60mil for 5yrs, not sure how much was guaranteed. This year he was offered 70mil for 5yrs with 10mil guaranteed, which is garbage.

Bell deserves a better guarantee, he not only runs, he blocks and lines up wide at receiver.

James Conner is still unproven, Ridley is a special teamer.

He can't be traded till he signs the tag.

Colbert has no leverage, no one does right now.

2. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    BS guy. Why does he deserve a better guarantee? Remember he was suspended twice. You don’t think that’s cause for concern?

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. bhandsome08

May 6, 2016
    Nope. Not for me, especially when he's touched the ball over 400 times last season, 85 of those were receptions. He almost never comes off the field, no need when he can play receiver. Teams can't play their base D, he'll line up out wide. Defense can't go nickel or he'll plow right thru.

4. black hat

black hat Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    This! What is he....one failed test from a year-long suspension? Ridiculous.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Well you in a very small Minority and I suspect if you were spending your own money you’d think differently.
    It’s pretty much asinine to give a guy who’s been suspended twice a large amount of guaranteed money.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    He doesn't come off because he doesn't want to. They literally run him to death and he disappears in the big game because he is exhausted.

7. bhandsome08

May 6, 2016
    Wouldn't that be on Tomlin or the OC to make sure he's fresh late in games, the season & postseason. I thought Bell was only suspended for weed once and the other time for missing a test which he appealed and won.

8. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    It's on tomlin but he has shown if a player says he is good to go, he leaves them in. His second fail was for missing the scheduled test and he claimed new phone and didn't get called to say the test was at such and such time. Under the rules a missed test is a fail. He appealed and lost hence hte second four game suspension.

9. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    I believe the going assumption was that only 10 million was guaranteed. He's playing on a 14 million tag this year (if he plays). I believe it's $800k a week he loses?

he can hold out until week 10, but he loses that money and the Steelers don't have to activate him at that point or they can rescind his tag. Not sure if that takes away their compensation for the free agent loss.

This is a dumb move as he's going to be a year older and there are teams that will sign him, but he's banking on them seeing he's concerned about his longevity.

Not to mention, that his style of running doesn't suit the blocking most teams use. He's not going to give you too many 20+ or 30+ runs either. He had just 3 last year.

You can look at that and say he's on the downside of his RB career already.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    Bell will show up to collect his $$ which amounts to over three quarters of a million dollars per game. In my estimation, it will be sooner rather than later.

If it's before the trade deadline, trade him. If it's after, he's not worth the drama and baggage and simply rescind the tag.

The Steelers have leverage. It's their team. It's rolling forward with or without Bell. He's chosen to make it without. The team has been vocal about their support for Conner.

Conner did fine. Ridley did fine, both last year and this year in preseason.

Bell won't admit it, but a lot of his success has to do with the offensive line. As for him lining up at WR, the vast majority of his receptions are on a dump option out of the backfield. This attribute is grossly over stated. If Bell was so good at wide receiver he'd be a wide receiver. He's a good pass blocker, but this doesn't warrant 18 mill a year or whatever he wants.

Time to move on from Bell. He's lost his teammates. He's lost the majority of fans.

We'll see how great he is without Pouncey, Decastro, Gilbert, et al.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. Confluence

Confluence Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2017
    edit your work, ur grammar/spelling alone knocks u down to at least C and thats not considering your content

12. lewisha

lewisha Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    139D0FD3-A877-49A4-B20F-D08CB041FA9E.png

• Like Like x 3
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 3
    • Winner Winner x 3
  13. Daddymac10

Daddymac10 Well-Known Member

May 1, 2015
    Even if it cost us a ring, I don't want the guy back because he's all bad mojo from day 1. Got busted for smoking weed then suspended, his mysterious last minute injury kept us from the Superbowl in championship game against Patriots, last 2 years he's crying about money when he's very well paid. For God sake can we please trade this dude & move on??

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    I was speaking contract wise since it's the basis of he OP question.

Off the field there is NO comparison ...... Bell isn't anywhere near Woodaon!!

Cajun

15. Jares

Jares Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2016
    What tax bracket are you in that 10 mil is garbage? I'd sign up for that garbage in a heartbeat. I'm a blue collar worker and no one in my profession would get away with what Bell has and still have a job. Also, you have to be a special kind of arrogant to scoff at 70 mil over 5 years and also expect payment up front for work you may never do.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I believe he got it reduced but a missed test is still a failed test. 1 more and he's out for the year.

Also, in regards to your other post, It was 33 million guaranteed and 45 million in the first 3 years.

70 million deal over 5 years with the guaranteed money noted above is nothing to sneeze at.

17. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    To compare..

"Todd Gurley signed a 4 year, $57,500,000 contract with the Los Angeles Rams, including a $21,000,000 signing bonus, $45,000,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $14,375,000. In 2018, Gurley will earn a base salary of $950,000 and a signing bonus of $21,000,000, while carrying a cap hit of $7,228,306 and a dead cap value of $24,028,306."

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/los-angeles-rams/todd-gurley-16734/

""Pittsburgh reportedly upped their offer by $10 million total compared to last year's, which would've paid Le'Veon $14 million annually"

https://www.12up.com/posts/6119093-...elers-contract-offer-le-veon-bell-turned-down

So basically Bell is just being unreasonable. Can't win with this guy. << pun intended.

18. D0bre Shunka

D0bre Shunka Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2012
    It was not in the Steelers' favor to F-Tag Bell, it's not chump change. It will cost them 25 mil + for just 2 years and that makes Bell the highest paid RB in the league period. Add to the 25 mill his next contract, meaning next season where ever, and not only will he be the highest paid RB ever but he'll be up there with the Franchise QBs! If you take tag money and compare it guaranteed money wise, the gulf is even larger. This man, all in all, will make out like a bandit and no one is saying this. That kind of money is up there in the highest tier of the league. So, don't give me the sacrifice to do right speech.

But!

He has us, and we have to pay, that's it. He holds the cards and the money.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  19. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    If... and for the record i see him signing before game 1 because he is 100% about the money.... .if he sits out till week 10 he loses about 8 million of his tag amount

BUT IF he is still sitting out around week 7...i pull the tag and let him try to earn his mega deal elsewhere with half the season gone... he would need to learn a new system...new teammates... move... what good could he do us down the stretch... either Conner proves himself for 7 weeks.. .or the Steelers have lost games they should have won and the Team didn't really want to hear from Bell after his selfishness puts the season in jeopardy

HACK

• Informative Informative x 1
  20. 58stillers

58stillers

Nov 14, 2011
    Here's where I think the irony is.....

Bell wants to be paid as a RB and a WR.....
    But he doesn't want 400 touches or to be run into the ground..... isn't that like the anti-WR personality?
    "Give me the damn ball, I could have won the game, if they gave me the ball more"

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    There has been one player who was franchised and sat out the whole season but it turned out OK for the skins:

DT Sean Gilbert, Washington Redskins (1997): Gilbert took protesting the franchise tag to a new level by sitting out the entire season. In April 1998, the Carolina Panthers signed him to an offer sheet. The Redskins chose not to match it and received two first-round picks in return.

• Like Like x 1
  22. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    He played two years on the tag but also another thing he doesn't play with a position with a short shelf life as rb. Rodgers at 34 just got the biggest deal in nfl history. No rb EVER at 34 will get any huge deal my whole point Is they knew they couldnt agree to a long term deal so they opted otherwise.

23. TheTerribleOwl

TheTerribleOwl Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2017
    If you rescind the tag then you don't get the compensatory pick when he signs elsewhere. That will likely be a 3rd round pick and it would be incredibly stupid of the Steelers to give that up just to try to screw with Bell.

24. TXSteelerFan69

TXSteelerFan69 Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2017
    At the end of the day, I could care less if Bell reports or not. I know it his right to not report and sign. I know that he is within the rules. I know that he is doing what he thinks is best for him. He has all the right in the world to do that. Just like I have the right as a fan to not like what he is doing. So as far as I am concerned, he can go to hell and move on to another team. There are stupid teams out there that will pay him. He will not be as successful. We have had several Steelers move on because they wanted more than what the team was willing to give them and they were not very successful after leaving. So let his ass hit the door and we can rally behind and support James Conner.

• Winner Winner x 1
  25. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Should have used the non exclusive tag and his market value would have been determined.

• Agree Agree x 3