1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Landry Jones terminated!

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Fugitive60, Sep 1, 2018.

1. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    You might be right but we will never know because Landry never did either

2. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I’m not saying he wasn’t a serviceable backup, but he’s not the world beater some are acting like he is and how dumb the Steelers are.
    Cajun is citing LJ’s wins. I can’t help that they were all against the Browns. I mentioned that he did good against the Cards, but against the Chiefs and Pats he lost.
    I still think he was easily replaceable.

And Thorn I’m always happy to discuss the Steelers with you brother!

3. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I don't think LJ was the next guy. Dobbs or Rudolph could be the next guy to take over for Ben.

4. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    I just hope this decision wasn't based on Thurs night's performance and nothing else. Coach was looking pretty starry-eyed when Dobbs came off the field after the 2nd TD.

5. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I think it was his total performance over the preseason and camp.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. funkysteelersfan

funkysteelersfan Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2011
    agree with your statement entirely. The big surprise for me was that they couldn't find someone willing to give up a late round draft pick for him.

7. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    I can't believe the gnashing of teeth here!

Dobbs showed the level of improvement year one to two that almost everyone was expecting Jones to show in his years amd were happy he had that much last year in preseason.

I do think there may be some truth to the "Working a deal for Dobbs and bringing him back after though"

8. fansincethesixties

fansincethesixties Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2016
    Ben was definitely the exception to the rule. And all he had to do was manage the game...Stillers had a great defense and that "close the game out" running back Jerome Bettis. Game has changed greatly since then. Jones had that in game experience which the youngsters lack. If Ben goes down you can kiss the season goodbye. Throwing Dobbs or Rudolph to the wolves is downright SCARY.

9. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I think I needed to see Dobbs play Week 3 when the starters had more of a practice run. If he would have played well Week 3 I would concede that he earned the #2...Why didn't Dobbs play in that game?

They gave Landry the lowest snaps of all the QB's this preseason. Yet all the media guys and analysts at camp would tell you with certainty that Landry was the clear #2?

My concern is they saw Dobbs and Rudolph light up scrubbs and they made the call based on the wrong info. I feel we are in win NOW mode and we don't need 2 guys with no experience if we want to try to win NOW.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2018
  10. Bend Steel

Bend Steel Well-Known Member

May 26, 2018
    Does anyone think that L. Jones EVER pushed Ben for worry of his starting job? NO! They were both comfy in that role. Now, Ben has some young guns nipping at his heels. Ben either maintains, improves or....as they say next man up...and we have two decent possibilities. Competition is a very GOOD thing for Ben IMHO.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    Pretty much sums up my thoughts on the matter. I don't think Jones will go long without being signed.

I like that we have two young guys in the mix competing. Think it will make everyone better. Also we have some more cap room to get more offensive lineman to protect Ben.

I kid

12. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Don’t kid yourself there’s competition with these two and Ben for the near future.

13. MattyMo9

MattyMo9 Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2017
    Just not as many as NE

14. TheTerribleOwl

TheTerribleOwl Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2017
    If he goes down for more than a game or two that was true with or without Landry.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I still think it was about the future. Less money. Pretty close in game management. Dobbs can run out of trouble.
    If we cut Dobbs we would have to sign Landry next year which would cost more. If for some reason we didn't then we would have to find another QB with zero time in our system. Ben will need extended next year. More money. We may try to sign Bell again. More money. Next year we will have backups with 2 and3 years in our system. Not many teams run the same amount of the playbook when a backup has to start anyway. We adjust at that point.:cool:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I don’t know. I don’t obsess over NE.

17. LoneGranger

LoneGranger Well-Known Member

May 5, 2016
    Don't forget to fire Colbert as well. In fact Colbert may have talked Tomlin into it. Which is good thing.

18. LoneGranger

May 5, 2016
    As long as Bell is not under contract the Steelers have an extra slot to stash Jones or Dobbs at least another week. Why risk losing Jones if you can keep him another week while the trade gets finalized? Unless your fantasy is ... well ... a fantasy.:roflmao:

19. LoneGranger

May 5, 2016
    Geez, you make this sound like a Colbert decision.

20. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    Wow! Crazy how it all went down. It would have been nice to get something for Landry. I wish him well no matter where he ends up. He certainly had a rough begining, but all in all he was good Steeler.

As for Dobbs I'm really happy for the guy. He worked his tail off to earn this job. He is playing heads and tails better than he did last preseason. I never saw much in him. I'm happy to be proven wrong.

I'll trust the Steelers judgment here. If they didn't think Dobbs and Rudolph were ready, they never would have cut Jones.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Said team does not cross my mind until the Steelers play them.

• Like Like x 2
  22. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016
    Just realized something.

I know Coastal Steeler is throwing a party for certain. Happy for him! :lolol:

23. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I'm sorry for Landry, good guy as well. Dobbs was the right choice though, especially clear after the preseason he had.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

As do I.

I am, by no means, am throwing a party over Landry's release either.

I wish all players the best in their future endeavors; Jones included. However Blast, as you and I know, the NFL is a business. The business is winning.

Pittsburgh has done good business since 1970. They know how to win. Do the tough choices have to be made? Sure. Will the Steelers make mistakes? Absolutely.

Do the results speak for themselves? Most definitely.

25. Daddymac10

Daddymac10 Well-Known Member

May 1, 2015
    It's gonna get really scary if anything happen to Big Ben ...God awful scary