1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Cotchery,Brown,Miller and Redman will

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by PWP, Jun 15, 2012.

1. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Make this new Offense go....I think people forget or they don't unerstand just how Important the system is to domination....The Gap system favors great blocking from the Receiving crew....The Gap system favors a Power runner at RB.....

The scheme will dictate to the D the package they play,it will also dictate where the open spots on the fiels will be.....The PA pass is huge in the Gap system and there are reasons as to why,if you have the right players....

The first thing is the running game and How the RB hits the hole,the next thing is the Power of said RB.....If he has the potential to break tackles then it negates closing speed from the DB'S......As a result Teams will choose to either run blitz or insert a extra LB or DL.....This is the basis of my post....It makes no difference in the PA game which way they choose to play it,as either way creates more 1 on 1'S and mis match problems....

The true beauty is they will more than likely try and play man/zone which is the most commom way to play it......This will actually make Ben and the OL look better because players must play the run and the pass ,this makes it hard on the D to call blitzes and determine what packages to put on the field...

Redman is a North and South runner so this forces Teams to crowd the box and Keep him from getting a full charge,this is exactly why the PA game works,this allows guys to get an extra step and prevents the D from just dropping into their zone,because of these things the best blocking WR'S and TE'S get to do a lot of acting....If they block well on runninng plays then the D will try and get off blocks and close on the runner .....This creates a natural space and is how PA really works....

Cothchery,Brown, and Miller are great blockers so in essence the better the blocker in a Gap system the more space they will have in the passing Game.....Now when you add a RB getting down hill it makes this type of scheme almost impossible to stop,esp if the QB can make the correct reads and is accurate....Ben can do both.....The Gap is a mixture of Pre Snap reads and Reading on the Go.....Exactly the right system for Ben.....

Haley Loves Miller for a reason...And the reason is he is a great blocker and a real threat as a pass catcher....Brown and Cothery Love the new Offense because they understand Football and are good blockers in their on right....Simple math the harder they work bloccking the more potential they have to get open in the passing game......

To close the reason a North and South 1 cut runner is better to get all this going is because Teams can't play umbrella style and drop first then react.....This is what you do when the RB looks for holes or waits for blocking ....This kills the Gap system and gives Cover guys time to stand their guy up and then collapse on the run.....This takes away that natural passong window.....Again simple football 101 stuff....As a Defender do I want to get off this block right now so I can hit the Strong RB or do I want him at full blast when I try to bring him down?The answer is simple and that is where the space will be and why this spells big games for guys who can block...

I am waiting for camp to see how Rainey,Batch,Pope and others can block.....Make no mistake this is the 2nd. biggest area when running the Gap system......I could get into the OL and how this fits as well,but this is long enough at this moment....LOL...

2. Emerald Steel

Emerald Steel Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2011
    I'm looking for them all to have great seasons under the new offense.

Bruce Arians ran a good O, but the Steelers 'retired' him because the talent wasn't being utilized to the maximum potential. Haley was brought in because he could design the offense to fit perfectly with the players.

3. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Ben will be the guy most responsible for making the offense go.

4. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I think you're really overstating the importance of Redman. I know you're a big fan, but saying that the entire offence revolves around how hard Redman hits the hole is overstating things a bit.

Very few offences have big bruisers these days. The NFL has changed, even if many of us Pittsburgh fans haven't. The RB situation now revolves around playmakers. Look at the RB's being drafted these days, many are smaller, but very explosive. Redman isn't explosive in the least. He's got good speed, or at least he would if he was a DE, but as a RB he's quite slow. The game has changed. We need playmakers, guys that can take it to the house on any play, guys that can make players miss in the open field. That's Mendenhall, not Redman. Redman is not the long term answer for us at RB. Even if Mendy leaves at the end of next season, they will draft someone to replace Redman.

5. edog55

edog55 Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Shaner, you are wrong. First of all, Redman is not exactly as slow as you are stating. Earlier this year he stated that he worked on his speed this off season, plus he said that he is coing in a little lighter so that he could pick up so speed. He said that he would like to come in at 225 or so which would help his speed.

Also, pwp said the most importatant thing about the offense was the blocking of Cot, Brown, and Miller and the fact that Redman was a north and soth runner which is best suited for the gap system.

In addition, your feeling that Arians ran a good "O" is silly, thats why he lost his job, and good ridence! Haley will do a much better job. I bet our red zone offense will be outstanding. I bet the game plan will be outstanding. I bet Haley will utilize the talent accordingly. I bet our scording average will go up. I bet our offense will be better in all catogories under Haley. And thank God Arians will be screwing it up in Indianapolis and not Pittsburgh. So please don't insult us with talk about how good Arians was. Can't get that guy far enough away from Pittsburgh and Big Ben!

6. edog55

edog55 Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Redman is not big, he is just a north and south runner who gets it done. His style is not to waste time dancing in the hole, he is just straight up get in the hole and punish somebody. He doesn't go down on first contact and he has "BIG HEART", unlike Mendenhall.

Also, we now have those change of pace speedy back in Rainy and Batch who can catch passes out of the back field. Even Redman has good hands and catch the football out of the backfield. I know for myself that the Steelers are better off with the backs that they have now other then Mendenhall.

Infact, after Redman gets done this season getting it done and putting in work, Mendenhall will be done as a Steelers. The money they will save by not signing him will be used to sign Brown and or Sanders!

7. shaner82

Oct 16, 2011
    Slow down a bit. I never said Arians ran a good offence. I've always said the complete opposite. I agree with everything you said about Haley and I've been preaching that on this site since before he was hired. You need to re-read this thread because I never said a thing about Arians.

8. shaner82

Oct 16, 2011
    If you disagree with me, that's fine, but it doesn't make me wrong. Redman is slow, period. He ran a 4.76 40 time. That's not great for a RB. It's great that he's worked on his speed, but speed is something you either have or don't have. Can it be improved by losing a bit of weight? Perhaps a little bit, but again, you're either fast and explosive, or you're not, and Redman is not fast or explosive.

The game has changed and RB's are getting smaller, faster and more explosive. I stand by what I said that Redman is not the long term answer as he is not a true playmaker. Mendy will either reclaim the starting job or they will draft someone to replace Redman. You disagree with me, fine, but don't tell me I'm wrong until I'm proven as such. It's all opinions at this point.

9. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    I haven't seen enough of Brown blocking to get a sense of how good and consistent he is. We'll miss Ward in this respect, that's for sure.

While I'm sure the system will be better this seaosn, I'm still cautious about the young o-line going up against NFL defenses. I think we'll be better than last year - for a whole number of great reasons - but won't be surprised if there are hiccups here and there. System is vital; but so is execution.

10. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    This is not a thread about how much I Love Redman's game....This is a thread about our Team and how certain types of players make certain systems go....
    And just for info sake when peeps call Redman slow....He was clocked at 4..76 in college after a injury....The Team reported a 4.63 his first year at camp ,he has also gained speed each and every year since then...

Redman runs a legit 4.55 now maybe even closer to a 4.50 this year....He has plenty of speed for his style...

Anyway the Gap system requires the RB to get North and South that's the whole basis of the scheme....When I make a post like this it is from first hand knowledge of how a system works, and why it works, from both sides of the ball......It is really Football 101 from guys who know the game.....The objective of the Gap system is to force CB'S to tackle and to force LB'S and Safeties to cover.....If the RB waits and looks for holes then the system will not work to its greatest potential.....

This is why great blockers are needed from the WR/TE spots,most Gap plays leave the CB'S and block the LB'S and Safeties ,this is where the scheme gets its power.....The reason why is the PA pass and the route trees....They run routes that attack where the Safety should be in coverage ,thus the CB must try and hold them up or that space will be there because of the run threat...Again the space is only there if the RB gets through the whole right now,,not in a second or 2,it must be right now....This means even is he runs up the back of his OL....In the Gap system this is how it works....Totally different from a zone blocking system and the zone passing game... The Gap system is Best suited for bigger OL and bigger RB'S who are down hill runners....

This is why I scream PA because good blockers will get open more often as the CB''S are scared to hold them up as much if you have a power runner as now they fear the Power RB at full speed and them at half speed when they meet...Advantage Power runner even at 4.6 speed against a 4.4 CB running at only 10 MPH....Advantage WR/TE as guys are coming off blocks sooner to get to the North and South runner thus creating space between them and the other coverage guys.....This is perfect for sure handed run after the Catch type of recievers....Get them the ball make a guy miss and now those speedy WR'S can take it to the house....This is why the TE/RB need not have game breaking speed within the Gap system....Their job is to force the front line of the D to play aggressive and they do that by breaking tackles and punishing tacklers....As stated the job of the speed guys at WR are to slow the DB'S on run fits....Give the RB a extra yard or 2 to get to top speed while the DB'S react to the play....

So make no mistake our Team is built for this system and Redman is the best RB we could have to make it work....He never waits,he doesn't go down easy ,and he breaks all arm tackles....Coverage CB'S want no part of Redman in space,his power is simply to much....He also has a few moves as well that they must think about....The tape shows him breaking ankles in space...Again because of his Power that guys fear ....

Our WR'S are also a perfect fit as they are physical and enjoy physical play....Brown is a great return guy so by hitting him in space early you are playing to his Strenghts...Cotchery is the seasoned Vet and he knows where the space is and is also a great blocker...Miller should be a PA monster he is very physical and is a mis match to almost all who try and cover him....Again the Gap system force Teams to spend the Maximum to stop the run and they will only have the minimum to stop the pass...

Is why I hated the old system,we allowed Teams to spend the minimum in run protection and sell out on the pass..Our Team is not built for that....We would need a Pre Snap Read QB smaller and more Athletic OL,WR'S who are great route runners,faster vertical threats at TE.....Thats the Zone system where the QB and Recievers can out smart and out play the D and the OL are fast enough to PU the Quick blitzes....This creates more space in the box with less defenders,thus it enables a Zone Runner to wait for holes to develop where he can then reak havok in the open field.....Again the totally wrong system for us....The only Player that looks the part of the Zone Offense on our Team is Mendenhall..