1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

E. Sanders. Time to move on?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by CANTON STEEL, Jun 14, 2012.

1. CANTON STEEL

CANTON STEEL Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Once again Sanders is sidelined with an injury. This time to his knee. It's starting to become a constant issue with him and injuries. He's been praised by the team since his rookie season for running solid routes and possessing great speed but the guy can't seem to stay healthy. With the Wallace situation and Ward no longer here, coupled with Sanders appearing injury prone, our WR corp went from looking top notch to worrisome IMO.

I'm not saying write the guy off (i'm a Sanders fan and hate seeing him injured all the damn time) but I think it may be time we start to think about the high possibility that he's not going to pan out. I hope that isn't the case at all but it's very possible. Now more than ever i'm hoping that Clemons impresses and makes the roster. I'm also hoping Sanders gets healthy and stays that way. His potential is pretty high IMO. But we may need to consider the fact that Sanders may not be "the guy".

2. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    The injuries are a concern. Hopefully this is the end of it for a while.

3. FeartheBeard

FeartheBeard Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Oh MANNNNNNNNN! I cant believe he is injured already :-(

4. SteelByDesign

SteelByDesign Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    He's worth keeping around for cheap, because he would be cheap... But if we somehow manage to sign Wallace and Brown long term, Sanders will definitely be gone, which I'd be okay with.

5. CANTON STEEL

CANTON STEEL Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Kinda what I was thinking too. I really don't see how we would be able to keep all 3 for long except the fact that Sanders would come cheap because of injuries. But then again, if he's not on the field then he's really not worth paying anything for, no matter how cheap he comes. If it's nagging issues then that may be different, but if injuries are constantly keeping him off the field for extended periods then.......

6. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    His injury in the superbowl and us losing him for the second half was a big blow to the offense.

7. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Not time to move on yet but I agree that he has the injury bug, I was just saying that in another thread somewhere. Definitely seems to be injury prone, which sucks, I think Sanders can be real good.

8. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I read on here a lot that it will take a lot of money to sign Brown, Wallace and Sanders. While that may be true of Wallace and Brown, Sanders is not going to cost us a lot of money unless he goes off for about 2500 yards this year. Sanders hasn't done anything in his short career to be deserving of a big contract. It won't take much money to resign him because nobody else in the league is going to throw big money at him.

9. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    A bigger problem facing him is showing everyone he can stay healthy. If he does that and gets a 1,000 yds, they won't be signing him for peanuts.

10. gpguy

gpguy Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011
    The past injuries to his feet drew some concern. But he's back to 100% they say so I'm not worried about a little knee tweak in mini camp....there were a number of others who have missed some mini camp or OTA with tweaks/etc like this...its nothing serious and I am not concerned about it.

11. SteelYourPoints

SteelYourPoints Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011

What he said. With Wallace and Brown having big contracts in their probable future, it might actually be a good thing as it will keep his value down. That being said when he is healthy it's almost like having another Antonio on the field

12. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    brown and cotchery as the one and two was not in the plans this year. sign a contract, heal some legs and let's go get this thing done. :clapping: :cool:

13. Somathus

Somathus Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011

??Did you forget about Wallace? No way does he hold out all year. he would just be in the same situation again next year.

14. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I think that's what he ment with the sign a contract part.....
    I actually think we will have a better Team with Brown and Cotcery taking most of the snaps....Both of these guys are better route runners than Wallace,both of them have stronger hands than Wallace,and both of them are better blockers than Wallace...So if you know how the Gap system works then they are a great fit....Wallace is all but done as a Steeler IMO...

Either he finally gets in and he never fits in or he doesn't show at camp and Rooney simple says trade his butt away....Rooney is not happy and each hour of practice that Wallace misses the greater the anger the owner will have....I am sure we have made a lot of offers yet Wallace will not budge enough...

IMO a new contract for Wallace this year has little to no chance...

15. Emerald Steel

Emerald Steel Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2011
    Isn't it a little early on still? He missed some mini camp because of a non-serious knee injury. Not a big deal, imo.

He's set the bar pretty high for himself this season. Next year is the final year of his contract. Let's give him a chance to prove himself.

16. steelers5859

steelers5859 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I haven't read any reports that he was hurt.

17. ivanarevalo07

ivanarevalo07 Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Oh my LANTA!. You guys are making mountains out of mole hills. Nothing serious was reported he just sat out a bit of time with a tweak. Here's an article that says no major injuries happened. If you're already counting him out for missing a bit of time then I guess we need to get rid of Harrison, Worilds, Sylvester, Saunders, C. Brown, and Foster! C'mon I know he has the injury prone but it's a slight tweak not even worth bringing up.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2012/06/st ... -injuries/

18. edog55

edog55 Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    All I'm saying is that the Steelrs have other options now that they can go to if Sanders is hurt anytime during this season because his rep is he is a injury prone guy. There are three options that they can go to; Derrick Williams who played for Detroit as a WR and return man. A legit possibility. Rookies, Tony Clemons, and Marquis Maze. Both of these guys have a chance just like Brown and Sanders had as rookies. Remember Tomlin said one hat for two guys. Each week they would compete for that hat during practice. I see one of them suiting up each week. I see Williams making the 53 man roster as one of the WR's.

19. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    williams is quite fast himself. so is clemons and he's 6-2 which is a nice size target. they will be good, just not wallace,brown, sanders good. it takes quite awhile to not just learn the plays, but how to play with ben. young money and ben are on the same page with back shoulder catches and what bens thinking when he leaves the pocket. the youngers guys don't have that repore with ben yet. it took cotchery a good part of the season to get with him and he's a seasoned vet. it got better as it went with those two. we may need that again if we start the season with them as 1-2. brown will demand the double team and cotch may have to be the playmaker. :cool:

20. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    I'd like to think that the coaches and FO make decisions based on more than "rep". I like what I'm hearing about Clemons, Maze and Williams though.

21. darcrav

darcrav Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2012
    god i hope he pans out

22. oldschool

oldschool Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I'm not worried about this at all yet either. I would assume many players tweak things all the time in practice with pads on or not. They are athletes pushing themselves at high speeds and making cuts. It happens. I won't even label him injury bugged until it happens a couple times in the regular season too.

23. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    I agree, OS. I'm not worried about his missing AM practice in mini-camp. Multiple beat writers reported that there were no notable injuries in practice. I am a little concerned about the overall picture though. He's had multiple foot surgeries, has screws in his feet, and had knee surgery already. All we can do is wait to see if he truly is 100% like he said recently. :towel:

24. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Wow! Talk about what have you done for me lately.

25. SteelerFanInKC

SteelerFanInKC Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    This is why it was and is crucial to sign Wallace. I know alot of you were saying good riddance to Wallace for his high demands and while I agree that his demands were too high for him to expect, there is now way our offense can be explosive without Wallace especially now that Sanders is hurt AGAIN!