1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Missed Tackles: Fact and Fiction

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Aug 25, 2018.

1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Seems to be this years hot topic, last years was man coverage. So I decided to dig into it a little. This is what I came up with. Enjoy.

Steelers were the worst tackling team in the league: Fact
    Steelers bottomed out with 149 missed tackles.

Steelers were the worst tackling team by far: Fiction
    Buffalo finished only 10 behind at 139. But you’re thinking, yeah well Buffalo sucks, too. However, the SB champs were the 3rd worst tackling team in the league at 137. And the team that faced them in the SB and with the best coach in the league finished 23rd with 119 missed tackles.

Steelers tackle poorly every game: Fiction
    Steelers are plagued by inconsistency and it’s no different when it comes to tackling. 9 games they tackled poorly. One game alone assured them of being the bottom feeders, they missed an atrocious 18 tackles in the Chicago game. Thats not a typo, 18. The other 8 games saw them among the top tackling teams in the league. Their biggest loss of the season, they missed only 3 tackles to the Jags. Poor tackling had nothing to do with them losing in the playoffs.

Coaching affects tackling: Fact
    Of course, and I admitted that early on in my response to TuRnDoWnForWaTT, but there are good/great coaches that have poor tackling teams. Which leads me to believe talent is the underlining factor for separating teams and the CBA has driven it down as a whole. Which brings up the following.

Tackling is pretty shoddy throughout the league: Fact
    Steelers were the worst at it but you can make an argument there are only 6 good tackling teams. Coming in at the top are Arizona with 80 missed tackles, Seattle with 81 missed tackles and Denver with 83. An average of 5 missed tackles a game. Just goes down from there. By the time you get to the group in the 100-109 missed tackles, you’re closing in on 7 missed tackles a game. Steelers fell in at 9 a game. The 8 games that they performed well, saw them in the 5 missed tackles group. As always, the Steelers achilles heel is consistency.

Conclusion.
    No team is great or even good in all phases of the game. Steelers can hover right around where they are now and win the SB. They still won 13 games being the worst tackling team in the league and the Eagles proved you can suck at tackling and still win it all. However, you can't have clunkers either, like the Chicago game and expect to win or like NE did in the SB with 15.

A look below, breaks down how many missed tackles each team had.

80-89 Missed Tackles
    1) Arizona - 80
    2) Seattle - 81
    3) Denver - 83
    4) Minnesota - 89
    5) Indianpolis - 89
    6) Baltimore - 89

90-99
    7) Oakland - 90
    8) Chicago - 95
    9) Green Bay - 96

100-109
    10) NYG - 101
    11) Dallas - 101
    12 ) Houston - 102
    13) Jacksonville - 102
    14) New Orleans - 103
    15) Carolina - 104

110-119
    16) Cleveland - 112
    17) LA Rams - 113
    18) Miami - 116
    19) NYJ - 117
    20) Atlanta - 118
    21) Cincinatti - 118
    22) Washington - 118
    23) New England - 119

120-129
    24) Tennessee - 121
    25) Detroit - 123
    26) San Francisco - 125
    27) Kansas City - 126

130-139
    28) LA Chargers - 130
    29) Tampa - 130
    30) Philadelphia - 137
    31) Buffalo - 139

140-149
    32) Steelers - 149

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Great stuff Blast, one more factor that comes into play about tackling. It is not just missing tackles it's also about wanting to tackle, getting off blocks, and gang tackling. Many times last year Dupree, Burns, and whoever was playing MLB couldn't get off blocks or even took bad angles. Add these to the missed tackles and you got a mess on defense.

3. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    So of the top 6 defenses by yards last year - Minn, Jax, Phil, Den, Pitt and Ari - 2 are at the bottom of that list, 3 near the top and 1 in the middle.

Kind of makes you think what we could achieve if the tackling was fixed.

4. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Our defense isn’t close to being as bad as some people say.
    Thanks for posting Blast.

• Like Like x 1
  5. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    As I had shown in another thread, we had the lowest number of defensive snaps in the league. Buffalo had 126 more defensive snaps than we did for example. That adds to our stinkness. Less chances more missed tackles. Not good when you put those two categories together.:cool:

Last edited: Aug 25, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 3
  6. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Nice breakdown, but I saw 149 missed tackled in the Jax games alone.;+)

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  7. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Good points. Difficulty shedding blocks definitely shows up on tape and according to recent comments, a willingness to tackle. When you sign up to play defense, isn't that kind of the selling point? Tackling people or do they just like to go in for the highlight hits?

Just 3! :lolol:

• Like Like x 1
  8. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    So the Steeler led the league in missed tackles, by a lot. (They were 'only' 10 behind Buffalo, but nobody else was more than 7 behind the team in front of them).
    They managed to lead in missed tackles while facing the fewest defensive plays.
    They also were near bottom in giving up big plays, and communications problems were abundant.

But some how this is evidence that the D isn't REALLY that bad?

Last edited: Aug 25, 2018
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    :thumbs up:

Separate point:
    The missed tackle stat reminds me of Compubox scoring in boxing. It's not always a tangible action like a sack or a pick. I saw an article that also included 'drag tackles' as missed tackles, but only if the defender was dragged X amount of yards, or something like that.

• Like Like x 1
  10. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    So in other words... the Steelers were the worst tackling team in the NFL. I could have saved you a lot of trouble.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  11. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Stats are informative, but they never paint a full picture. With those stats Blast posted, you could point to the fact that we were middle of the pack most of the year and only had a few really bad games that skewed the stats. But then when you consider we had the fewest defensive snaps in the league, the missed tackles stats become that much worse.

Stats can never tell the whole picture. Stats also don't take into account the level of competition we face. If we get lucky and face a ton of 2nd string QB's, is a middle of the pack defence really something to brag about? What about if we play Brees, Brady, Rodgers, and all the other top QB's in the league with a bunch of injuries on defence, then suddenly a middle of the pack defence is something to brag about.

The only thing that tells the whole picture is watching every snap and assessing it for yourself. Of course that's not objective and what Blast sees could be different from what I see. What I have seen for many years now is communication issues. We just never seem to be on the same page. I've also seen us struggle with mediocre teams. Worst of all, I'm tired of 2nd and 3rd string QB's looking like Tom Brady every time they play us.

I know what I see and quite frankly I'm not concerned with stats. Our defence hasn't impressed me since our 2008 Superbowl. Ever since then, we've been very mediocre regardless of who we draft or who our defensive coaches are

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I think the tackling just needs to be consistent. They showed in 8 games that they are capable. Same reason why this team can look great one week and come out looking totally flat the next.

And yes, I think that falls on Tomlin.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    When you’re the worst TACKLING team in the league and the game you’re playing is TACKLE football, you’ve got a problem. For those who are saying our defense is “not that bad”, did you watch our defense last season? We had a habit of making the mediocre quarterback look magnificent, we gave up more big plays (40 yard plus) than virtually any other team in the league and we were the worst tackling team in the NFL as the research above confirms. And some of you want to continue to defend the defense. Face it guys, OUR DEFENSE SUCKED BIG TIME LAST YEAR! Hope it gets better, but if not, Butler’s butt needs to be hotttt!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    My post really wasn't about "our defense isn't that bad" although I agree it's not but just more about tackling and how it correlates to our chances of winning a SB. Would I like to see us improve? Of course, and I think thats very achievable but in the end, if we don't, it really didn't play a big part in us not advancing to the SB. And Philly just won the SB being the 3rd worst at tackling with 137 missed tackles.

Giving up big plays as you noted, is what held this team back. If they don't clean that up, they aren't going anywhere.

• Like Like x 1
  15. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Exactly.....stats never tell the whole story,no matter what you're trying to prove. The coaches on the defense haven't really changed besides DBs and DL and that's only this season so the jury is out on Bradley and Dunbar. Who has remained constant are the HC and the DC. I know on paper Butler has only had 3 seasons but he is very much a disciple of Lebeau. Only now are they trying to incorporate different schemes that seem to be having a difficult time in gaining any traction. We are still faced with communication issues that I'm waiting to see how quickly they can be resolved. I still say scheme and coaching deficiencies are a major factor. To sum it up,guys aren't being put in the best position to succeed. There is talent there for sure. Look at the draft picks on the D....5 number ones (6 if you include TE). 2 number twos,2 number threes and a 6 and a ? at ILB. We should be able to do something with that.....
    I honestly like the talent and potential of this defense. Now it's strictly on the coaches to make something out of what we have. I think a major part of the future success of this defense will hinge on the FS position . If Davis can become a true ball hawk and a stopper on the chunk plays it can make the surrounding players jobs much easier and will help to define responsibilities and hopefully lead to more aggression and better tackling than what we have seen. Now let's just see if the coaches can still **** it up....

16. TheTerribleOwl

TheTerribleOwl Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2017
    How many missed tackles did Shazier have? How many of those were on plays most ILBers wouldn't have even been in position to miss a tackle? As always with stats there is a lot going on behind the raw numbers.

17. D0bre Shunka

D0bre Shunka Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2012
    And I think tackling, or lack there-of, will be even more of a problem this season. Seen tentativeness /hesitation in the exhibitions. Heads going up, heads lowering, shoulders raising, i'ts a mess and going to be a hot mess going forward!

It may all come to a head this year. Hear the disgust already

18. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    I agree that stats don’t tell the whole picture. There is context to every snap of the ball which stats never do justice to.

What I took more from the OP was that the missed tackles stat doesn’t mean too much in terms of where the D gets you.

As you say, communication and coverage breakdown is the absolute killer for us. And when we were slaughtered by Jax and Chicago and their running game, it was gap discipline as much as tackling.

• Winner Winner x 1
  19. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    Thanks for that analysis. I`m thinking, what if we did win the Bears game that had the worst tackling and therefor got #1 seed? Tackling is important, but isn`t a cure all it seems.

• Like Like x 1
  20. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Tackling is a cure all. It prevents big plays which leads to first downs which leads to touchdowns which leads to the mighty Blake Bortles nearly putting up fitty on ya. See how that works. ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Ask and you shall receive. Shazier missed 19, tied for worst with Davis. And he didn't even play a whole season.

I agree, I'd like to see more analysis on the tackling. How many of those 149 led to any more yardage? The first guy comes in and misses but the next guy finishes him off. Considering they won 7 of the 9 games that they tackled poorly in, doesn't lead me to believe it is very detrimental to the outcome of games.

• Like Like x 1
  22. Watt Wack

Watt Wack Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2017
    Dead last in missed tackles, why, they're similar to the '85 Bears.

23. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I think it boils down to the eye test like many have said. We know what a good D is supposed to look like. You can take the stats and try and put them into context all you want but there are too many variables involved. If you give up that many points at home in the playoffs ,it's bad defense no matter what you try to pinpoint as the reason and there are a few....

24. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    No one implied that. Have anything useful to say?

You clearly didn't read it or don't comprehend it.

25. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    You guys aren't focused on the context of the post. Im talking about one aspect of the defense. Missed tackles and its affects on winning and losing games.