1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Preseason

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by TuRnDoWnForWaTT, Aug 17, 2018.

1. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    I like the comment that says basically it doesn't matter who the starting ILB is, as long as they play like they've done so far.

Definitely need to see something more from someone in that position.

2. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Matthew Thomas is someone I personally would not mind obtaining more snaps with the second team; first team even.

Has the athletic tools to be something. Just needs more reps.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Yeah, there are definitely guys further down the roster with potential.

Every year we have the Derek Moye's and Josh Mauro's of preseason, but typically those camp darlings are up against embedded starters. In the case of the ILBs, I don't think Fort or Thomas are that far off what we have as starters right now.

4. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Given the fact that Tyler Matakevich does not have that many Regular Season snaps under his belt starting defense to begin with, pitting him against the likes of Thomas should be considered.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    We will have to agree to disagree here. I am all for a safer game, but not at the expense of the integrity of the game. With a little common sense you can make the game safer without making it unwatchable.

Saying players are bigger and faster is a straw-mans argument. Just because you say its so, dosent make it true. Im sure you can find data, from those with an agenda, that says otherwise. Im not buying it. Go back and look at combine numbers over the last 20 years and tell me how players are significantly different. They are not. Most of the people that use this argument are on an agenda to over-officiate the game in the name of safety.

6. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

Jan 1, 2018
    Teams that are Super Bowl contenders, are always game ready. Instead of arguing against success, why not try emulating it? Seems to me that when you exit the playoffs early, season after season, you may want to change your strategy. When the Steelers finish the season a game short of home field advantage, please come back and tell me how the first 2 games of the season didn't matter.

7. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

Jan 1, 2018
    None of those were much of a surprise. I think we always knew JW would be the 3. Like it or not, Bostic is going to start over Thomas. Edmunds isnt ready to start yet. And Jesse and Vance are more of a TE by committee IMO. Now if Matthew Thomas were to over take Bostic, that would be a surprise.

8. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    I was never arguing against success. The point of my quoted post was to show that your insinuation that the pats (supposedly superior) preseason “strategy” has any bearing on their season or their first two games was false. I gave statistical evidence proving my point to be correct. Giving Ben and AB 3-4 more preseason series’ is not the difference between Super Bowl and playoff loss.

I was also not saying that the first two games don’t matter. They all matter equally until the post season. All I was trying to say was that these guys prepare all off season and training camp for the season. The goal of the preseason is to find your best 53, not to make sure your 36 year old quarterback has had enough exhibition snaps to be ready week 1. He’s already ready for week 1.

9. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    There were posts on here last season saying Ben should play a couple series in the meaningless last regular season game, to keep him from getting rusty'.o_O

10. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

Jan 1, 2018
    You guys are missing the point. Its not that Ben needs the playing time. Its not that Pouncey needs the playing time, or AB. Its that this entire offense needs the time together to look like a cohesive unit. Your arguments may hold weight if this was baseball. Its not. This is a team sport and these guys must function as a unit. Kind of hard to do that when they are rarely on the field together. Lets keep in mind that there is a new OC this year.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  11. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    I'm not missing the point. The posts I was referring to were based on him needing the playing time to 'stay in rhythm'. I'm sure those extra 3 or so snaps would have made all the difference.o_O

There was another post (I assume it was a joke) saying that the starters should play the first quarter then ride stationary bikes on the sideline for the rest of the game.:sneak:

12. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    Saturday's game against Titans will be broadcast live at 1pm on NFL Channel, at least here on the Pacific Rim. Eastern would be 4pm, Central 3pm, Mountain??? Apparently though the NFL Channel broadcasts aren't consistent around the globe. Last Thursday, I was waiting for the re-broadcast to begin at 11pm and a friend in south Texas was watching it live earlier that evening. For what DTV charges for Sunday Ticket, can't believe they don't throw in the pre-season for free or a big discount over the NFL 's $100 for pre-season games.

Now that AT&T owns DTV, they're not the pushover they used to be to get good deals on Sunday Ticket heading into the season. It took me about 20 minutes just to get a 25% discount on the $300 2018 season rate. They get into debates about what are your other options (bars) and how much will that cost compared to staying home and enjoy Sunday Ticket on my own terms in my own EZ chair etc. Because I was reasonable, honest, pathetic and didn't cuss at the customer service gal, she did say to call back between Sept 15 and 21 to get an additional discount deal. "So I've got that going for me. Which is nice". (Carl Spackler, Caddyshack)

13. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    The starting unit (when healthy) played together every game last year, will be replacing only Martavis Bryant with rookie James Washington... the starting unit practices together in practice, and does so a lot more than the extra 20-30 snaps in a preseason game you are deeming “necessary”. The only way extensive preseason time for the starters will affect the cohesiveness of the first unit is if someone sustains a multi week injury.

The new OC is going to be calling “vanilla” plays in preseason games anyways, so that point is moot. They are however practicing his schemes and philosphies together in practice every day.

At the end of the day preseason is just glorified practice, except is less valuable to be starters than actual practice. The only exceptions to this being being rookie, second year, and first time starters (who ironically are seeing plenty of playing time in the preseason). Preseason games are a tool to find the best 53 (63 when accounting for practice squad) players to bring into the season together. Not a tool to make sure your first unit is cohesive throughout the season. That is what practice is for.

• Winner Winner x 1