1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Winners and Losers vs GB

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by TuRnDoWnForWaTT, Aug 17, 2018.

1. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    The scheme the D is running is not there yet . When playing a Rover type of Defense more DL are needed to cover up the smaller DB'S . You also need a LB with great instincts who can fly to the ball not just read and react ...

2. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    No, you changed the narrative because you were losing the argument. Cute.

My position has never been that they shouldn't try to improve on dead last nor that they can't. The whole argument is that tackling is weak across the league because of limited practice. Not a very difficult concept to grasp. Apparently you think you can be great at something by not working hard at it. Glad AB doesn't share your sentiment.

If the argument is, we need to improve from 77 to 50 missed tackles to be on par with the rest of the league, great, I agree. Was never the debate though.

3. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Once again Tuitt doesn't finish the play, had a easy sack Hundley got away and ran it in for a TD :facepalm:. That penalty on Sensabaugh leading with the helmet was a joke :shrug:.

4. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    After Dupree got his sack, the announcer said he was a Pro Bowl player :lolol:.

5. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    The Steelers still can't cover tight ends :facepalm:.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I changed nothing and I certainly wasn't losing. I never said tackling wasn't worse in the league due to the limited practice time. I never said you can be great at something by not working hard at it. You made both of those things up and that sort of dishonesty is not appreciated.

What I said that the lack of practice time isn't the reason the Steelers are worse in comparison with the rest of the league because every team has to deal with the same restrictions. You didn't understand the argument, so I dumbed it down for you. Now apparently you don't like how you makes that look, so you are going to be dishonest and claim that I changed the narrative, which did not happen.

Please argue honestly or don't argue at all. Thank you.

To be clear and consistent, the Steelers need to get better at tackling and they can't blame the lack of practice time for the fact that they are bad at it in comparison to the rest of the league. Every team has the same restrictions, so why are the Steelers worse than other teams? Practice time isn't a variable because everybody has the same restrictions.

The goal is to be better than the opposition. If the Steelers miss fewer tacklers than the rest of the league, I can live with the high number. Sadly, that isn't the case. Relative to the league, they suck at tackling and that is part of why the defense is a mess.

7. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

As I have stated, dealing with unthinkably, colossal Bulverism is something that should not be in your interest.

I know it is difficult to mentally supercede such a overwhelming whirlpool of arrogance but, more often than not, those with such high levels of the confirmation bias usually do not cope well with their ideals (opinions in this case) being rebuttled using evidence; an absolute rejection of what they stand for. As such, forming that wall of arrogance is their only option to reject any and all that is truth.

In other words, denial.

What am I stating to you ultimatley Blast? Let it go. It is for the best. The truth will always prevail. Let that aspect of life take care any and all who oppose...

... For the truth does hurt.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    You're full of crap Scribe, getting tired of this discourse. Go ahead an play victim while you do exactly to others what you are accusing me of. While we are at it, your condescending remarks, belittling comments and passive aggressive attacks aren't appreciated. Grow up and learn how to talk to people. Theres a reason you get into so many of these types of brawls.

So lets back allllll the way up to my OP. I blamed the bad tackling throughout the league and it is bad throughout the league, on the CBA rules. You went off on this tangent and arguing a point Im not trying to make and changing the narrative.

Lack of practice has led to a decline in performance. THE ONLY POINT I WAS EVER MAKING.

• Like Like x 1
  9. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    My take....we suck at tackling. I don't really watch too many other teams so I can't say how
    much worse we are. I don't really care where we rank statistically I just go by the eye test and we miss a hell of a lot. I still feel scheme plays a big part but it's a little disconcerting hearing the recent comments by our players. Some of our veterans are saying that tackling comes down to"want to". Well judging from the results it seems there are too many guys who don't "want to" ....that's concerning.
    Another thing said by Heyward is that as far as defensive mistakes,if you can't fix them,you shouldn't be there. Well things need to improve dramatically because if what they say is true we have a lot of guys who don't "want to" tackle and quite a few who maybe shouldn't be here....including coaches.

10. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    So if my tangent doesn't disagree with your point, why are you arguing with me? Why are you making this personal?

You aren't wrong about tackling getting worse all over the league. It's a point that has been made many times before. I'm sure it has been done here and we've definitely heard it from football analysts.

I simply think the more relevant issue is why are the Steelers worse at it than other teams. Your point doesn't address that.

You really should look more closely at your own performance in this discussion. You did far more to make this personal.

11. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    So confused by the argument.

The CBA is absolutely affecting tackling league wide. Every game whether the Steelers are playing or not is filled with missed tackles.

Sure the Steelers are worse than most. Is it coaching? Maybe but I can't seeing it being a difinitive factor.

Some players are great tacklers, others are not. It can be improved through practice and coaching, but ultimately it comes down to the player's will.

Everyone above is making appropriate points.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Nobody is arguing against the idea that the current CBA has led to tackling getting worse for every team in the league.

The relevant question, at least to me, is why the Steelers are even worse in comparison to the competition. You can't blame the CBA for it because every team has the same restrictions. It isn't a variable.

The potential variables are the players and the coaches.

• Like Like x 1
  13. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Some teams stress fundamentals and working each week on their weaknesses. Some teams game plan for their specific opponent. other teams seem to focus on just doing the same thing week after week. From the small pieces we get of the behind the scenes working of the Steelers coaching staff, Tomlin isn't big on breaking down his teams problems, he isn't big on game planning for the weekly opponent and spends Thursday or Fridays working on specific situations that may come up against that week's opponents with selected members of the team or in group meetings. I do not believe they spend any amount of time working specifically on tackling or doing drills that address tackling and 11 man unit cohesion.

14. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Since you ignored it, I'll repeat it for you. You use belittling, condescending and passive aggressive attacks to get people wound up then play victim. Won't be tolerated. Like I said, theres a reason you get into so many of these fights.

He's a little free advice, debate as if the person is sitting across from you.

• Like Like x 2
  15. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    CBA May be part of it, but I think it goes farther than that. Troy Polamalu was one of the best athletes we have had, and he did not tackle well.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Just rewatched the game.
    There's a lot of tightening up to do before summer ends.

17. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    You should follow your own advice. Can we please discuss the team instead of your issue with me now? Thank you.

18. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    That is a fair point. He relied too much on his explosiveness and not enough on technique as a tackler.

19. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    :read:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  20. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Well I looked it up. I thought maybe we ran a lot more defensive plays than the rest of the league, hence the more chances to miss tackles. Well not the case. Actually we ran the least amount of defensive plays last year.940. The least by a good margin in most cases. There is a problem when we run the least and are ranked so high in missed tackles.

I think a lot has to do with LBers. We used to have LBers making over 100 tackles a year. Timmons- farrior. Roughly let's say 25 less per season from two LB positions. That's 50 less.

Let's add the fact that we are using our DE to rush the passer more, which puts them in a worst position to clog run lanes and make tackles. Let's say 20 per side. That's 40 more.

Let's look at the OLB dropping into coverage more. Again leaving running lanes not covered by ILB and DE.

Where does this leave us? DBs having to cover receivers and stop the run. Which if you look at the numbers the team leaders usually are safeties and corners with high tackle numbers. Not good.

Scheme does have a lot to do with our troubles. I'm tired of the bandaids we are trying to use. Big Dan is playing so much better. Really? I saw a center by himself take Dan from the middle of the line clear out past the tackle box without any resistance. This dude is 6-7 354 pounds. Really? Vince running around one end and running into chickillo while the QB just ran out where Vince came from. Nobody there to even help plug that opening. Again, really? We complain about coverage by the DBs but when they have to play LB and cover it creates a problem. Then we are trying to use LBers to cover. We are trying to use DEs as OLBers to rush the passer.

The whole system is putting us in position to miss tackles. Way to many players singled up to be the only line of defense while trying to do what they are intended to do. This is less a league wide problem than a scheme and coaching problem.

Sure at one time we had a young troy we could do many things with and then we tried to cover that with an imposter and do the same things and it didn't work. We had shazier and we could do a lot of things with and now we have an imposter that can't do those things. We had two ILBers that we could do a lot of things with and now we have imposters that we can't. You have to change the scheme to fit what you have. You can't just try to find that player to do what those players did. It changes everything about the scheme.

Kevin isn't the answer. We can talk about how Bradley isn't making a difference so far but unless we put players in a position to succeed and the right players, this isn't going to fix itself. I'm not sure MT knows how to fix this either or won't. So he is as much to blame as anyone. OK rant over.:cool:

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  21. TheTerribleOwl

TheTerribleOwl Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2017
    Honestly Shazier was one of the reasons we had so many missed tackles. He made a ton of tackles but he also missed a ton. With his great speed he was able to get in position to miss tackles a lot of other guys wouldn't have been close enough to to miss. It is like a SS with great range in baseball. His fielding percentage will likely be lower than that of a guy with poor range as the better range guy will get to a lot of balls the poor range guy won't, thus giving the better range guy a chance for an error that the poor range guy never has. That said, it was not all Shazier by a long shot. Our safeties seemed to miss tackles every time a big pass was completed.

22. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    butler has been improving the defense per year. The sad thing is how long is it going to take? it still needs a ton of work.

Just like in baseball when people say "you cant say our offense sucks its 3rd best in the league!"

yeah but when you are scoring 1,0,2,1,0,0,16,2,1,0,0,12,1, 20 it looks like a good offense. same thing applies to our defense AND offense.

defense:
    -shuts down bad offense and qb for 7 points
    -stops a rookie qb for 15 points
    -gets gashed by flacco for 50
    -gets gashed by patriots for 60
    -stops a rebuilding colts team for 3
    -shuts down the bengals for 0
    -shuts down the jets for 3
    -shuts down the Texans for -6
    -stops the giants for 6
    -shuts down the bills for 7
    -shuts down bucs for 2.
    *guys our defense is elite! only 13.3 points a game allowed!

*this is our year guys! then we proceed to play Texans and lose 67-20*

"obviously we tip our hats to our opposition. We want to reflect as a team, no, as a whole entity and as we come to grips with our season we respectfully embrace that the standard is the standard.

obviously we did not make enough plays. We acknowledge that. They are a good football club with a young handsome stud with strong legs as a qb, and a smart football coach. Obviously he out out-obviously'd me and we are sitting here reflecting in our thoughts, on our compromise as individuals, we respect that, we owe our bodies our minds our spirits on the gridiron. We seek to find ourselves amongst one another, we are growing together with this loss.

once again I tip my hat, my shoe, my belt and my pants to that great Houston organization. They showed us what we are lacking. They had the will and the extra ounce of effort and determination to overcome adversity and come to grips within themselves, and pull themselves forward to one more football game. one game closer to that prized trophy.

I, Mike Tomlin, just want to say I love my team. I live, breath, and give my all to my team. I don't live in my fears and want everyone to understand that"

*week after Texans get blown out by pats 56-3*

• Like Like x 1
  23. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015

lol!!

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  24. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    lmao! I laughed pretty bad at that

"I blacked out"

25. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Fantastic Mac...I've been saying the same thing about scheme and I've been saying the same thing about our coach not putting our players in the best position to succeed for even longer. Everytiime you bring up the deficiencies in our HC you get met with ....We were 13-3, look at his record and all the other built in excuses. Tomlin is what he is ,a players coach and a pretty good motivator (most of the time). I thought by now with his tenure and experience he would be more of a tactician and attention to detail HC. He is neither...I've always been of the thought that this team gets by with talent as opposed to top notch coaching.
    The O pretty much speaks for itself with the talent we have but I do feel it could be a lot better if it was fine tuned and attention to detail was a bigger priority.
    The D not having the same talent as the O need more of a emphasis on proper scheme to fit the talent and coaching that demands fundamentals and responsibilities. While I admit that I don't watch many other games the ones that I do watch I don't see the same blatantly obvious deficiencies that I do with our team.
    Are we playing on a 60yd wide field? It sure as hell seems like it ....
    I was all for and happy when we started using our DL in a more flexible manner but for some reason now it seems to be causing some of the issues on D. The stunting is ineffective and not well choreographed. The players are rarely on the same page or in the right spot to ensure that the gaps and escape routes are covered up. Do we need a 1st or 2nd round pick at every position on defense too ,in order to be effective or can our coaching actually step up and put a competent defense on the field. I've seen a lot of coaches do more with less....that's what we need from ours.

Side note. The reason we had less plays on D is because of our poor tackling. Too many plays going to the house.

• Like Like x 1