1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

The better Dobbs plays the more likely....

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelers-MT, Aug 11, 2018.

1. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I skip right tp the Washington part.. He did make plays on the ball and yes Dobb's did not lead him correctly on that throw...This actually proves my point. Give him AB and JuJu and Washington plus a real line and a real running game. Ben has been called out for AB bailing him out. What could Dobb's do with AB and JuJu and Bell?

I can tell you right now what he could do ..Lead the Team to victory as he has the ability to break the pocket and make a D account for his ability to run...This brings me to why I like running QB'S . Their ability to do so creates pressure on a Defense .. In a ideal world they never have to do it as the threat creates more miss matches more passing windows and more space ,,,,,

So if LJ and Dobb's are even close throwing the Football then Dobb's has much more value ...Are you saying that LJ is that much greater than Dobb's as a thrower? If not the Dobb's is the correct answer to keep for the future...

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011

Actually, Scribe IS a good board member.

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  3. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Dobbs has played against scrubs, he also got bailed out by great catches by Patterson and Washington for TDs.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011

OK give me the stats on Mr. Jones against scrubs so we can compare the 2 ..I bet you don't...

5. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    That's all well and good PWP and if he had three or four years under his belt I would have no problem rolling with Dobbs as the back-up. However one of the area's he is lacking in is his progressions. He is a single read QB and then looks to pull it down and run. His legs, the ability to play the RPO and over all ability are great things but they can be defended against by most defenses because if they cover the primary receiver(usually Brown) Dobb's will get happy feet and look to break out. Now if he develops to the point where he can take a check down, make two or three reads or decide in a fraction of a second to take off and run, I mean really run not this looking to make an off balance throw on the move then he could be very special and dangerous. That takes time and experience, I hope he gets it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Ok, you are a Jerk. I know jerks. I am one. I don’t like when people act like jerks. It makes me act like a jerk. I don’t like acting like a jerk.

Have a good day. Sincerely.

• Like Like x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  7. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    He is

8. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016

Yes, Jones is a significantly better passer, but there is more to it than just the ability to make throws and the ability to run. There is more to being a quarterback than physical tools, which is something many of the Dobbs fans here seem to be missing. There is experience. There is the ability to read defenses. There is knowledge of the offense. There is the ability to keep your head in the right place when the games actually count. I believe every one of those areas is an advantage for Jones.

Jones is the safer bet for 2018. That much is very clear and that alone is good enough for a contender, especially if the team believes Rudolph is the better long-term option than Dobbs, as I do. The bench needs to be a mix of solid veterans who can fill in and win now and building blocks for the future. That is what makes Jones and Rudolph the ideal combination behind Roethlisberger.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  9. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    See? I can't really argue any of that.

You have a good day as well.

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  10. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Reality.

You all can argue all you want but Dobbs will be out and possibly be put on the practice squad. Then he will be the #3 next season unless some team needs a #3 QB and scopes him up in which I just don't see.

11. bleednblackngold

bleednblackngold Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2015
    The only reason Dobbs is still around is they can't admit totally wasted a 2nd round pick. If you could somehow combine the best of Landry and Dobbs you'd maybe have a competent NFL QB...then again maybe not.

12. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011

Dobbs was a 4th rounder, but your point is well taken. Once Rudolph was drafted, this team was pretty much gonna waste a draft pick. Whether it was last yrs #4 or this years #3. Unless they plan to keep 4 QBs, and that looks very doubtful. Or they plan to trade/cut Landry, and that seems doubtful and unSteelerlike. I could be surprised, but that doubtful too.

13. LoneGranger

LoneGranger Well-Known Member

May 5, 2016
    Below is why I like pocket QBs. This and if I am going to pay them ludicrous money I want to minimize their exposure to injury.
    Code:
    QB & # Super Bowl wins            
                         Pocket  Running
    Tom Brady               5    
    Bart Starr              2              (5 NFL Championships)
    Terry Bradshaw          4    
    Joe Montana             4    
    Troy Aikman             3    
    Peyton Manning          2    
    Eli Manning             2    
    Jim Plunkett            2    
    Bob Griese              2    
    Roger Staubach                 2
    Ben Roethlisberger      2    
    John Elway              2    
    Nick Foles              1    
    Jim McMahon             1    
    Mark Rypien             1    
    Phil Simms              1    
    Steve Young                    1    
    Russell Wilson                 1
    Joe Flacco              1    
    Drew Brees              1    
    Aaron Rodgers                  1
    Ken Stabler             1    
    Brad Johnson            1    
    Jeff Hostetler          1    
    Len Dawson              1    
    Doug Williams           1    
    Trent Dilfer            1    
    Joe Theismann           1    
    Brett Favre             1    
    Kurt Warner             1    
    Johnny Unitas           1    
    Joe Namath              1    
                           48      4

14. Confluence

Confluence Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2017
    Ok, the board's conclusion is that Dobbs shld be a VP at Boeing because he cant figure out progressions in the NFL,

15. MattyMo9

MattyMo9 Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2017
    I watched the practice at Heinz last night and all I can say is we better pray Ben does in fact play 5 more years!!

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  16. Confluence

Confluence Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2017
    ample time for Dobbs and Mason to learn, jmo

17. MattyMo9

MattyMo9 Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2017
    Well Dobbs more than likely will get picked up by another team. Maybe we get him to the PS

18. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I don't have much hopes for them going with Dobbs for the simple reason that the Steelers aren't much of a risk taker. I think Jones had 3 seasons under his belt to Dobbs 2 seasons and they still went out and signed crappy washed up Vick to be #2. Predictably, Vick stunk the place up and they STILL wouldn't give Jones a chance until Vick got hurt. Took and injury to get Jones on the field.

19. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
  20. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    No my conclusion is that Dobbs should be a VP at Boeing because he throws sideline routes the same way all the other Boeing VPs do.

21. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    That's a good example, but wasn't part of the issue there also Tomlin's fascination with Vick?

22. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I believe so. I think he wanted to sign him prior to even that year.

Edit* I looked it up. He wanted to sign him when he was released from prison. They have a personal relationship from the same area of Virginia.

23. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    If I remember correctly, he was signed st the last minute when Gradkowski was injured. He may not have been the best choice, and I hated the signing, but at the time, experienced backups may have been thin?

24. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Agreed 100% sure mobility helps, but many of these running QB's are as has been stated for many years now... A read, react and run brand that usually don't lead them to the finish line (period). They rely more on athleticism than position fundamentals. The small sample you provided also had pretty decent D's making them pretty complete teams. Jones nor Dobbs are going to win a SB as is... The other side of the ball may not be competent enough to aid them, if they were in that situation.

25. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I don't remember who else may have been available. I argued for rolling with Jones. My personal feelings of Vick aside, I had no doubt he was finished after his stint with the Jets. No amount of experience was going to make up for that.