1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Winners and Losers vs GB

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by TuRnDoWnForWaTT, Aug 17, 2018.

1. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Many reasons but last year we did play quite a few backup qbs and won a few with last second FGs. Some we outscored the teams early and made them one dimensional which is easier to defend. Cleveland twice a year.:cool:

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    Sad part is that's the whole premise of their defense. That's why they give 5-10 yard cushions every play. Keep everything in front and don't give up big plays. They should just play man.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    They started playing man at the beginning of last season, it worked, and because of injuries they got away. Maybe they will try again?

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

I hope so.

Chuks is being evaluated on his shoulder.

5. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Yes, I have to ammend my previous statement, coaches and players definitely are part of the problem but the lack of practice is the main culprit, IMO.

They are only allowed 14 padded practices all season and only allowed to do 2 of those padded practices in a week once. Thats insane. Can't get better if you can't practice.

I agree with a lot of that Mac but practice makes perfect. AB is as good as he is because of the time he puts in. Fortunately for offensive players, they can work on their skill without contact drills.

They can improve on hot garbage but that still won't make them a good tackling team. When the 4th or 5th best tackling team has already missed 40 tackles after 8 games, it doesnt get better from there. Its a league wide problem.

You and I are watching a different sport. The tackling is atrocious in all the games I watch. The stats back that up. Better than the Steelers doesn't make them good, just not as bad.

6. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    I hope so. It's pre-season should just run man every play and get them better at it and see what we got.

7. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011

I expect them numbers to get worse... Seems these guys are already shying away from the flags and fines of this new rule that at its best... Well let's just say in 2 weeks of pre season games and training camp officiated visits that the players and coaching staffs seem pretty miffed and the consistency in pre season seems pretty non existent crew to crew. That **** needs to be reviewable if they're gonna try and be serious about it in all totality as I see some boys getting screwed when not in the wrong on a personal level and teams getting shafted collectively week to week when the games count. I think this will make the former catch rule vitriol a good smelling fart in comparison.

Seriously, think about it... This team needs better tackling but you might get in it deep if you tackle better.

NFL one step forward a fall down a flight of stairs back... I don't see it as a positive especially since we've all debated the last few years coaching, discipline, scheme, HEART, etc... They've had a hard enough time getting these kids to wrap up or gang tackle as it is and now if you lower a shoulder which inadvertently lowers your head (unless you're Merton giraffe neck hanks hahahaha hated that bobble head idiot but decent player) getting your team screwed and your wallet screwed just went up by quite a clip.

Shall be interesting

8. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    If every team struggles to tackle, it isn't really an issue. That would put teams on even terms. That isn't the case here. The Steelers are particularly bad and it is part of why the defense is a mess.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    I agree with a lot. Although I will give Vince Williiams the nod of approval. The dude was running around good and there on plays. I can't say the same for Bostic. Terrible performance grade for him this game. So bad I'm wondering if the guy is a legit starter now with two games. Might want to look into a free agent signing if possible IMO.

Agree with Matt Thomas. Definitely the guy showed some flashes of play. I think he definitely should make the team on potential alone. He ran past Berhe on that long TD play showing his speed. He also was running with a tight end I believe lined up wide and had good coverage. I'm rooting for this guy to come through and get a roster spot, BUT he is a rookie and I don't think can be counted on as a starter as some suggest.

I'll also add Tyler Matakevich on the loser list. I'm just not impressed with him outside of being a special team player. So I have some concerns at inside linebacker which is no secret.

I would have loved to see Henderson return a kick so we can grade him. Sadly how can we say he makes the team? It'd be nice to have a legit return guy. Of course the rules are changed so much now, it takes a lot of the importance of special teams out of the game.

10. steelers5859

steelers5859 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011

So, who are the teams that tackle well? What are they doing to "not be as bad"? We've had this issue for at least 5 years. And it's not getting better. We can't just say, "since the league is bad at tackling, we are not going to try to fix it". If you are a bad tackling team, everyone should be hustling to the ball aggressively. I don't even see that from these guys. Everyone is using shoulders and trying to get the big hit. I saw these guys slow up thinking one guy got him because he got there first. It should be two people at least on every tackle. I don't see that mentality among our players.

The league is bad at getting quality quarterbacks, but that doesn't stop teams from drafting them and finding innovative ways to improve them. The problem with our guys is they don't even execute the proper angles, the technique once they get there or swarm to the ball.

I would be okay if they were at least doing those things. Aggressively going after the ball carrier, taking the proper angles and swarming to the ball. This is coaching.

11. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    I'd watch v
    I'd watch Vince again before the nod of approval. While he ran around one end and ran into chickillo and the QB just ran through where Vince vacated. Vince has 1 tackle and 1 assist in 2 games. Bostic has 6 and an assist. Fort has 6 and an assist and a sack. Thomas has 4 and 2 assists. Matakevich has 6 and 3 assists. Vince looks good chasing but what has he really done? :cool:

12. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    Stats don't tell the whole story. Based upon that, Matakevich would be the starter. Very much a poor decision to go that route from what I've seen.

13. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I agree with you, Steelers can do things to improve their tackling, they were dead last through 8 games last year, don't know if thats where they finished but definitely near the bottom Im sure. However I don't think that will make them a good tackling team. I think with such limited practice time available, it makes it difficult to become efficient at something.

You're not always going to have a bunch of players in position to swarm the ball carrier, how many times do we see a receiver out in the flat and a lone DB completely whiff on the tackle and the WR picks up 6 or 7 more yards. Thats something that IMO, would be eliminated if they could work on it countless hours but with limited padded practices and contact drills, not as easy.

Bradley is a detail hound, tactician like Munch. Maybe I was haste in my comments about him not being able to fix it. Munch is able to get the line to play very well and according to coaches around the league, thats one of the biggest beefs about the limited practice, they can't coach up their linemen, especially at depth. It did take Munch a season or two before we started seeing improvement. Unrealistic to expect such fast results from Bradley.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    What you are missing is that other teams are finding ways to be better at tackling than the Steelers despite facing the same restrictions on practice. If every team faces the same restriction, it doesn't make sense to blame the Steelers' problems on that rule. The fault lies in the players and the coaches.

15. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    its preseason. their are no winners or losers. unless you are a guy who is trying to be 52 or 53. this roster is pretty set

16. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I don't have the full report but a pretty safe guess is that the bulk of the league fell around 50 missed tackles or worse through 8 games last year. They were already at 40 after the first 5 teams. Being better than the Steelers doesn't make them a good at tackling. 77 missed tackles or 50, both suck. If the Steelers fell in around the 50 mark, you'd all still be complaining about them being terrible at tackling. Its a league wide problem whether people want to admit it or not and the CBA is the main culprit.

17. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    If the Steelers missed fewer tackles than every other team in the league, I wouldn't care if that number was 100. Is tackling worse all over? Absolutely. I care far more about the Steelers' being worse at it than their competition. The CBA is not the reason the Steelers are worse at tackling than the competition. Every other team has to deal with the same rules. It is the fault of the players and coaches.

18. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Some debates just make my head want to explode. I cant fathom how you are arguing against this. Its like arguing that a cow isn't a cow. Ok, so yay, if the Steelers were around 50 and some other team was at 77, great, we still suck but not dead last! Woohoo!

19. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Some debates can be frustrating. How can you not get that the way to win championships is to be better than your competition?

20. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Well now you're inferring something I'm not arguing against. You know better than that.

21. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    That is what I have been posting. I just put it another way because you weren't getting it.

The goal isn't to reach some arbitrary level of competence. The goal is to be better than the other teams in the league. That is how you win championships.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  22. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    It's not really the stats of how many but the stats of saying they are doing something. That position requires production. Vince isn't producing. These guys may look bad on a play or two but Vince does also and has produced very little while the others are at least making some tackles and Vince isn't. I just can't find why he gets a pass. If you watch the pass play bostic got called for PI on, you see he actually made a good play knocking the ball away and ended up going around the receiver. MT saw that too and that's why he was upset by the bad call. :cool:

23. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    Bostic has made some good plays and some bad. The problem is the bad he's making rookie kind of mistakes. Poor angles. Poor reads taking himself out of position. And there's been a couple big runs because of him doing this now already. I think the reason they had Bostic play into the second half was because they didn't see enough from him and are seriously considering him for the starting job, but he just left a lot to be desired. I doubt their initial intent was to play him into the second half.

Vince Williams is hurrying the QB. He's looked half decent in coverage. I'm not worried about him at all. I'm predicting with a healthy year he'll be about as productive with tackles as last year. Not amazing. Not poor. Overall average to good.

This is the weakest the team's been at ILB in a while IMO. If some of the young guys can step up great, but that is not ideal for a team not rebuilding.

24. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    the team is rebuilding the defense. we are loaded with first second and third year guys trying to bring them together. most of these guys haven't played together and especially together in our defense. :cool:

25. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Interesting. Probably have to compile data from before and after the CBA, and also see if the definition of a missed tackle has changed in that time.