1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

The better Dobbs plays the more likely....

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelers-MT, Aug 11, 2018.

1. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    So you believe that if Ben Roethlisberger gets injured for the year, it is game over for the Steelers. That's ok I don't believe that is the case and would be a faulty presumption to follow.

I do know that to expect Mason or Josh to be the primary backup and be counted on to even manage games at QB would be a foolish mistake.

I personally think this is the Steeler's year before going into re-building mode. Not sure to what extent yet. Also as mentioned I'm questioning if Dobbs has the "it" factor. I find you either do or you don't.

So no matter how long you have a player, they will never end up developing it. We have two more games to see another side of Dobbs.

2. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    Criticism is fine. I criticize, but the name calling is idiocity at its finest. Adults talking like children. IMO.

3. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    You think LJ could get us to the SB if Ben goes down for the year? LJ, Dobbs and Mason wouldnt gets us there. Out of the 3, Mason has the best chance if he indeed is a first rd talent like the Steelers think he is.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    They aren't winning a Super Bowl this year without Roethlisberger. I think we can all agree on that point.

That said, they are contenders and with Bell due to leave as a free agent after the season, the window may be closing. That means it would be a mistake to damage the 2018 too much for the sake of some player with very little chance of being a starter in the long run like Dobbs. If Roethlisberger were to miss a significant chunk of the season, Jones gives them their best chance to win enough to stay on track for the playoffs. Rudolph and Dobbs aren't ready. That is why Jones needs to stay.

You're infatuated with the shiny new toy. It's not new. We've seen guys like Dobbs propped up before, selling us on the idea that it doesn't matter that he can't make all the throws because he can run. Give me the guy who can make the throws every single time.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Confluence

Confluence Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2017
    2 more preseason games, but from what I have seen so far (116 qb rating last week) Dobbs and Mason make good sense moving forward, long term i think this is better strategy, Jones can throw a pretty ball but this is his last contract year so he really is not long term planning, you want reality to set in, ok, I think we trade Jones to the Broncos, trade Jones now to build for the future

6. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    The chances of them needing LJ to save them is not very likely. Ben doesn't miss much time anymore.

If they looked at it the same way you do, they never would have drafted Mason, they would have drafted a player that could help put them over the top this season. Steelers operate with one eye on the future.

If they go with Landry, it will simply be because they don't feel Dobbs is good enough and offers nothing long term.

7. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Assuming a 36-year-old quarterback won't miss any time at all is a foolish risk. Happily, I don't think the Steelers are that foolish.

They are looking at it the way I do, which is why Jones is going to be the backup quarterback. The smart approach is to have a No. 2 quarterback who can fill in capably and a No. 3 who presents upside. Drafting Rudolph gives them an upgrade in that spot for a developmental quarterback. Clearly, they like his long-term potential better than that of Dobbs.

It's about finding that balance between giving the team its best chance to win this season and building for the long term. Keeping Jones and Rudolph does that.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    You can't claim they are all in for a SB this year and then spend a draft pick in the 3rd rd on a QB that won't contribute this year. Makes no sense no matter how you spin it. LJ is imperative to their SB hopes but they don't need a 3rd rd pick to help them get there? Come on man.

9. Confluence

Confluence Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2017
    I like Dobbs and Mason backing up Ben

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    247 sports now predicting Dobbs on the 53 man roster . Dobb's has lead the Team to 5 TD'S in what is equal to a game . Not bad at all if you ask me. LJ has nothing like that.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Did you even read my entire post? It wasn't that long. You should have been able to make it to the seventh sentence, in which I point out that he goal is a balance of what is good for 2018 and what is good for the future. The Steelers try to do both. That is why they will keep a veteran backup quarterback who offers no real upside while at the same time, spending a third-round pick on a potential quarterback of the future.

12. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Yeah, I read it and my position on Dobbs is different then yours. It's my opinion that he is better for this team long term. The difference separating these two at this point in time is very little so I would roll with Dobbs.

Your problem is you are operating as if your opinion is a fact, considering how full of yourself you are, thats not surprising.

We'll find out how the Steelers feel soon enough.

• Winner Winner x 1
  13. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    That isn’t what he said.

14. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    If that would be the case, they should play Landry here on out and let him showcase himself for other teams, to increase his trade value.

15. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    You cant showcase a player with minimal skills ... This is another way to look at it..

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    LJ has hardly played, Dobbs has gotten most of the snaps.

17. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    :popcorn: good stuff lol

Probably too early but if Landry Jones doesn't play in week 3, similar to week 2, I would think the writing is on the wall and he is our #2. I think he is already entrenched there for this year. I would play Dobbs in the 2nd quarter and first series in the 3rd, then switch to Rudolph imo. Give Dobbs a chance with the #2s since his position on this team is the one most in question.

18. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I see that you blew right past the point about finding a balance between what is good for 2018 while also building for the future? Because that clearly shows you either didn't read my post or you didn't understand it.

I never said they are all in for 2018, so much so that they aren't worried about the future. That is two threads now that you are claiming I wrote things that I didn't write. Please don't do that.

Stating my opinion clearly and directly is not the same thing as presenting it as fact. I also didn't make personal comments about you. You went there. Just thought that should be noted here.

19. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Yeah, I noted how you talk to people in my other response. We're done here.

20. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    That’s very true. It doesn’t have anything to do with the conversation, but still very true.

21. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Been there, done that. He’s a bit challenged and not very good with the written word.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  22. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Here's the thing, Scribe could be a good board member, a lot of his posts are informative, I agree with quite a few.

His bedside manner sucks though and leads to that **** show we just had.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    This from the guy who correctly pointed out that he wasn't getting my post.

I work work with people who are actually challenged. Your misuse of that word here is not appreciated.

I will pit my skill with the written word against yours any day. Apparently, Blast wants me to be more protective of his feelings in future discussions. If you wanted to post that I'm a jerk, I wouldn't have argued the point. But what you posted was insulting an inaccurate.

24. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Nothing like that in any of his past NFL work ...Whether that be in pre season or regular season play . LJ will be hard pressed to put those stats together any half or any quarter or any way you want to look at it in his entire NFL career to show a games worth of action....

I will leave that to the LJ guys ,but Dobbs has showed he is much better than last year and that is the point . It is easy to make a case that he is very close to LJ right now if not better .....LJ many years and Dobbs in year 2 ...My take is we don't drop off that much keeping him over LJ actually their body of work shows Dobb's very well could be better....Keep the future is exactly what I expect to happen . LJ if cut will be out of the NFL,,If we cut Dobb's his NFL career will continue ...That's simply how I see it..

Oh and a Huge factor is Dobb's has never had the star WR'S or the starting RB'S or the starting OL to work with .... Peeps keep pointing out the work of Jones in relief of Ben.He had all those things and has still really never shined...

I have no doubt Dobb's would be much better than LJ with those weapons ...

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  25. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    The Steelers sat quite a few players the one game Jones started last season. Brown was injured. Bell and Pouncey both sat. Brown and Bell also sat when Jones started the final game of the season in 2016.

To be fair, he did get to play with Brown and Bell the two games he saw significant playing time in 2015. Remember, he played a big chunk of a game against Arizona coming off the bench, then left early after starting a game against the Browns later that season. He did turn in a stinker in a start against the Chiefs.

Jones is nothing special. He gives the team its best chance at winning games in 2018 if he has to play, but there is no real upside. As I stated multiple times, the point is to balance the needs of 2018 with building for the future. That is why you keep Jones for now and draft Rudolph for the future.

You brought up the issue of the talent these guys get to play with. It's not like Dobbs didn't get any help from guys around him. Both of his touchdowns against Green bay were spectacular catches by Washington. The first was a lousy throw overcome by a great play by the receiver. Washington also got behind everybody on a long completion to set up another score. That should have been a touchdown, but Dobbs underthrew it.