1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

The better Dobbs plays the more likely....

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelers-MT, Aug 11, 2018.

1. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    Not playing against NFL starters is HUGE when comparing stats against a QB that has played real games that count. All you get out of preseason is a look to see if the QB makes good reads, good decisions, accurate throws, etc. If Ben and Jones were hurt and Dobbs played a full game, it would be a disaster IMO. I would estimate 6 picks given up per game he starts and we could not beat even the Browns.

2. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    He was comparing their preseasons and pointing out Dobbs is doing better then LJ did up to this point.

Given time, Dobbs would be better, IMO. But I seriously doubt he will get that time.

As for your last statement, people said the same about LJ and that didn't happen when he took over for Vick.

• Like Like x 1
  3. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Ben is all but done 1 year maybe 2 . LJ is on his final year of the contract . So it could only be 1 year? Would prefer to keep him and have him be a # 2 or 3 for another year and if he continues to grow he may be #1 capable ? He is as good as LJ right now if not better ..So why cut a possible future ? For sure he is future #2 and he may just be a future #1 ....Note to Team .. Don't be that Franchise,,,lol.

4. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Somebody needs to start a Landry Jones appreciation thread.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  5. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Simply not true to predict 6 picks and I can tell you why ...Coach him up if he sees the throw then make it ..If not there then you take it ... He has the skill set to eliminate multiple pick games because he can run if need be... Again all back to Coaching ..The QB who would throw multiple picks is LJ and the reason is he would have 2 choices when pressured... Throw it up or take the sack .. I prefer the QB with the 3rd. option ..Tuck it and get what you can get..Again LJ has none of that option....

6. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I was biting till the 6 picks per game comment.

7. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I doubt Ben’s that close to being done.

8. TGH

TGH Well-Known Member

May 8, 2018
    Mason could be cut after next week, what you think?

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  9. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    I think not.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. TGH

TGH Well-Known Member

May 8, 2018
    What's going on with the defense? Do you think they will look for significant help after the cuts start?

11. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Welcome to the board... Ain't happening.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Same thing thats been going on... Trying to get better Hahahahahahahaha.

If they see value in someone's castoff(s) they can afford with a shrunken cap I'm sure it'll be considered.

It's pre season. They're auditioning. It'll get interesting once the actual script comes to fruition.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. TGH

TGH Well-Known Member

May 8, 2018
    You think we'll be okay with the starters? I'm concerned about this depth, it doesn't look good, and you know how that can be important when things start rolling.

14. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Even if Dobbs is average...if I could get an 5th for Jones I would pull the trigger and run with Dobbs and Rudolph. Bottom line if Ben goes down for any length of time the season is over.

But I see the Steelers cutting Dobbs and attempting to PS him for the year.

HACK

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I think you don’t know much about football

16. TGH

TGH Well-Known Member

May 8, 2018
    That's fair. I presume you're talking about management. I also take this to mean no, Mason will not be cut.

17. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    I disagree. After the performance we just saw by these two QBs you want to take this supposed superbowl contending team in with a 1st year guy and a rookie?

Jones is not Joe Montana, but the guy can at least minimize the mistakes and dump the ball to Le'veon Bell if needed.

Can't believe after the very below average performace we saw with Dobbs that this would be suggested. He wouldn't even look downfield, but just start running at times. Tell me Green Bay's 3rd string defense and beyond is that good.

18. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Heck the browns go through 5 qbs a season. Next year they pick 5 more. Dobbs to the PS and we take our chances. :cool:

19. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017

A linear path of improvement would be a presumption. Not going to lie, I was a bit concerned with how Dobbs continually just depended on his feet. I'm seeing a pattern. I'm starting to wonder if he has the "it" factor.

Some people just can not make the transition from the college to the pros as they lack the ability to read defenses and throw the football accordingly. Dobbs has a good arm. He has good feet, he has good accuracy albeit inconsistent. What bothers me, is that now in his 2nd year, he still isn't reading defenses and going through the progressions relying on his arm. I'm concerned he doesn't have the it factor.

I'm really not seeing starter potential in him. Maybe he can prove me wrong with the next two games.

20. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    https://247sports.com/nfl/pittsburg...son-Rudolph-Josh-Dobbs-120758664/#120758664_6

21. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    It sucks people result to personally insulting him calling him a "bum" for example. Dobb's might not be an NFL QB, but he's shown to be a better person than that poster. We have two more games for him to help reverse the tide for future employment opportunities. Unfortunate for him the 3rd string Green Bay QB looked much better then he did. The dude might have a very short NFL career.

22. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    Fans can be gruff when it comes to quarterbacks, they have called landry jones worse names and by all accounts he is a stand up good character guy, but fans could care less, more was expected out of dobbs being it's his second year but if he wants to stay here he better have these last 2 games to be all pro outings, rudolph is a raw rookie so expectations aren't that high for him, but next year expectations will be high for him as well....

23. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
  24. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Look, yes. Find, no.

25. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I disagree. One of the reasons I want them to keep Dobbs is because I feel he has starter potential. Why not give yourself 2 chances at finding the next starter instead of putting all your eggs in the Mason basket?

I don't know why you are expecting Dobbs to be much further along then he is, he's a 3rd string QB, he gets little to no reps during the season. Camp and preseason is the only meaningful work the kid gets. I like the progress he has made, its unfortunate that he isn't likely to get more time but I hope he does.

• Agree Agree x 1