1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Preseason

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by TuRnDoWnForWaTT, Aug 17, 2018.

1. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    Remember the good old days?

Game 1: Starters play 1 series
    Game 2: Starters play 1 quarter
    Game 3: Starters play 1 half
    Game 4: Starters play 1 series

Is that too much to ask? I see Rodgers on the field. I see Brady out there. We have such a mix mosh of players in the game I have no idea how you would ever build chemistry. Tomlin better put a full unit out there next week or we are gonna look sloppy against the Browns.

2. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    I'm hoping to see something more resembling an actual game for preseason game 3. At least for a while anyhow.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    The starting O-line is playing well. Hopefully Ben and AB will play at least entire 1st quarter... and hopefully Conner can pick up the blitz when Ben throws.

4. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    The Pats lost their #1 pick for the season last night. I'd rather lose a preseason game and keep everyone healthy.

• Agree Agree x 5
  5. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

Jan 1, 2018
    It's not about winning. It's about building chemistry. Honestly the offense isn't even my worry. They aught to play the starting defense for all 4 quarters every game at this point.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

Jan 1, 2018
    That's the elephant in the room as Tomlin would say. I like JC as a back, but if he can't block Bens in trouble.

7. Steelers4Lyfe

Steelers4Lyfe Well-Known Member

Mar 13, 2018
    I can’t really defend playing them or not playing them. All I can say is that I’m sure injuries scare the living sh*t out of the coaching staff.

I don’t care if Ben and AB don’t play until the 3rd game. As long as they play a little to get a tune up. Do they really need to play in all 4 to get ready? No, they have both been in this league too long. Along with Heyward Haden and a couple others. Give them one warm up game.

The prospect of some freak injury happening to one dude and it torpedoing an entire season would suck. That would happen with Ben and AB.

Look around the league. The Patriots just lost their 1st overall pick, Isaiah Wynn, to a freak Achilles’ tendon rupture. Dude was simply back pedaling pass blocking and a major tendon snapped in half. The Patriots were razor thin at OL before the injury. They are now one injury away from starting street free agents on their OL.

8. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011

I hear you. That D has looked out of sync for a LONG time.

9. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    at this point you are getting what you are getting with the defense. offense needs to be in synch to avoid starting slow but ben just hit his head so he can take however long he needs to

10. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    Offense won't be in sync anyway because of Bell. Conner and Bell need to split carries/snaps 50/50, first few games.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    fixed it for ya

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  12. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    The Patriots could sign 5, no-name NCAA O-lineman, coach them up.... and Brady/Belichick would still find a way to beat the Steelers.

The Steelers are snake-bitten vs. Patriots and will continue to be until Brady retires.

13. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Fans are always complaining the Steelers have been using this strategy in the preseason for awhile, we don't need to see much of the big name players in preseason.

14. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Most fans always complain about the teams performance in general.

My issue is not the performance of the players but the expectations of the fans in these Preseason games. Not every game has to be a win or loss. Those are merely rewards.

Ultimately, the Preseason is about depth and talent evaluation. Wins or losses simply to determine a players or positions overall performance is something that lies beyond short sighted.

• Agree Agree x 3
  15. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    This is correct. A vocal minority fails to understand this.

• Like Like x 1
  16. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    The defense needs a smart vocal leader to get everyone on the same page. Watching two mobile QB''s break contain because as the 4 man or 5 man rush collapsed the pocket a bit, guys started to get sucked down close to the trenches and looking to make a splash play. At one point last night Williams and Chick bumped into each other as Tuitt pushed two guys into the pocket. Both stood there thinking maybe if they quickly rushed around the edge they could get to the QB, unfortunately he was running for a first down because they were out of position.

It was interesting watching Fraizer, Hooks and the rest late in the fourth having success stringin out the runs east to west because they didn't go forward attempting to stuff the play. Hold the line put the back on the ground.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    I member when the Chargers sort of had that scenario going a few years back... A couple if not 3 nobody signings on the line and owned our pass rush Hahahahahahahahhaha

18. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Yeah that was one of the "we are gonna do what we do" games. Guys signed of the street and no game plan to attack them in multiple ways to stress them and make them crumble.

19. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    That was embarrassing but admirable on those guys' efforts. Just another one of those little examples that give the foiled hat folks credibility and admittedly I do buy into it here and there as well hahahahaha they make it unquestionably too easy to do at times.

20. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    We got out of that horrible game without any major injuries. So, I'm grateful for that

21. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    I'm not overlooking the Browns this year. IMO all that team needs is a spark under their asses to get them going. They have a ton of talent. Haley and Williams recent friction I think is a good sign for them. Think they're going to be ready to play this year.

So I agree. Time to get some units together with some playing time to get tight.

22. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Yeah until one of the starters gets injured, then fans will be on the coaches for playing the starters in preseason :shrug:.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I remember that night. Oh my we looked silly. Coaching difference there one good one not. :cool:

24. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

Jan 1, 2018
    You gotta stop living in your fears steelersrule6. :lolol:

My 5 year old likes to play at the playground. The opportunity to fall off the slide and break his arm is always there. I still let him play. This constant fear of injuries has DESTROYED the NFL. You could sit the starters out for the entire pre season only to have 3 guys tear ACLs game 1. Life's a crap shoot. I'd rather have my team well prepared than well rested.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
  25. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    I would rather have my team healthy for game 1, this isn't their first rodeo they don't need to play in all 4 preseason games to be prepared for the season :shrug:.

• Agree Agree x 2