1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

ILB Competition

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelers4Lyfe, Aug 16, 2018.

1. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    The problem is they have too many Robins and no Batman. Williams is a thumper, not too smart in football terms, Bostic again a thumper, Tyler has some smarts but comes up short on the physical side and has put it together yet. Fort maybe slowly getting there aND Matthew's is still to soon to tell.

They need that football smart player that can be the field general and put people in position to succeed. That where a Timmons or Bowman. Not to push the young guys down but to get people lined up and playing together. Not a cowboy trying to do everything by themselves.

2. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    I like Matt Thomas, but as expected in his first year with the team he looks lost at where to line up. Take a glander back at the game, and you'll see Tyler and co. assisting him to where to line up.

I don't think it's a good idea to rely upon him as the starter. I like what we're seeing, but I think he needs some time to develop. Get him in on special teams though initially and get him in some sub packages.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    Timmons was a stud when here. I used to watch the guy exclusively on defense. A year removed, I find it hard to believe the guy has completely lost it.

I believe he's still a free agent for his whole "Awol" scenario last year, where he didn't show up for a game but had an apparent family emergency where he ended coming back to Pittsburgh of all places. I can see why teams would be shy of reaching out to him. Of course for the Steelers, he's publicly stated he'd want to come back. His family's here, etc.

I'm sure the Steelers FO knows a hell of a lot more than I do about Timmons situation. All I know is that he is currently available and played like a beast while in the burgh.

The Timmons of 2016 was a HUGE upgrade from what we are currently seeing against the run. The Dolphins had him at weak side linebacker dropping in coverage. IMO they did not use him to his strengths. Add to all of that the guy is a veteran and would bring a leadership presence to the field. IMO.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    We have 3 weeks to line him up before games count. This has been the trouble around here with butler. He doesn't know where to line up. Heck shazier learned on the fly. Vince learned on the fly. I don't really care about where they line up to start the play, this kid knows where to finish the play and that's at the football. That's what matters. They have been feeding this kid two positions also. Production is what we need and he's providing that. Both he and fort are doing that. I don't want to get all PWP about this but these guys are doing what we need done. The speed is a huge advantage. It does no good on the bench.:cool:

• Like Like x 1
  5. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I agree, LT94 was a beast when he was here. I'm just wondering if he still is a beast. I would assume a physical would be SOP if they brought him in for a visit. I guess more of my beef with that is that the coaches are losing some accountability imo. It just seems like they cannot develop a guy. Even Shazier wasn't as consistent as LT94.

it just seems like they are saying well we can't teach our ILB prospects so let's bring in a FA. We can't fix our communication problems so lets bring in Burnett and Bostic for example.

they need to decide (and its a tough question), do you go with the inexperienced young guy with better athleticism (thomas for ex) or rely on the older vet who has the smarts but has physical limitations (LT for ex). The vet presence is nice but even Joe Haden, an older vet, will admit he's lost a step, it happens.

6. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    Good points. Yeah I think a preliminary physical is assumed. The guy's been out of camp. He's been reported hitting the gym and being ready though.

Not sure why Navorro Bowman's without a job either.

The coaching is lacking, and while I like Joey Porter, I'd like to see more intensity from the linebackers coach. I'd call them out publicly in front of their peers. Challenge them and piss them off a bit. We have no one firing up the defense. Of course the way defensive penalties are called now takes away a lot the enthusiasm as every hit is in fear of a fine and penalty anymore it seems.

7. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I would have brought in Zach Thomas (if he's willing of course lol) to help coach the ILBs during TC and preseason. Call it a mentor, internship, whatever. Besides having the insight from a great ILB, Olsavsky is under pressure to get these guys ready too. It would have been a nice audition for the FO.

Porter should have been replaced by Kevin Greene when Porter had that bar incident. I really think social media had a big part in the NYJ grabbing him. After the Porter incident, Greene's name was all over twitter etc. Jets nabbed him very shortly afterward IIRC. I'm sure it was enough to put a bug in NYJ's ear, and Greene's reputation did the rest. Just an opinion on that.

8. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Was’t there some article where someone said Timmons and Tomlin would have to smooth some things out before they would even consider bringing him back, there must be some hard feelings after he left?

For the record, I think he could probably play a year or two here and be pretty decent too.

9. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    Thomas and Washington were PFF players of the week.

Fort also had a good game. Sure he gave up a catch but was right on the guy to make the tackle as soon as he caught it. That is good coverage and will turn into passes defended and turnovers the more it happens. Both these LBers played well.

Malik golden has been playing pretty well too. Looking for a FS player, well he is under our noses. So is sutton. He has been right there in coverage. He tackles pretty well too. Get these guys on the field and let's see how we look. They have earned it and maybe just maybe be what we need. :cool:

10. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    While LT94 was a stud here his last season here and last game(vs the cheats) showed why he is just not a fit in this system anymore. LT94 is a major coverage liability and that is a big problem on this team. With that said I am real worried about Bostic but like many have said let's see what happens with the starters all in. Seriously Big Dan getting this much playing time is bad, Hargrave looked good 2 weeks ago what happened. Also it was nice to see a S(Burnett) making tackles at the line so that is an upgrade as well. One thing I will say is the more zone we play the worse we look........

11. MattyMo9

MattyMo9 Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2017
    ILB competition aka who can not be the worst player on the team competition between 5 guys.

12. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    If they are all average, ID play the ones that can at least run and see if they can become above average.:cool:

13. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    Rashaan Evans returns to practice for Tenn., oh wait no pulled back out. Not practiced since July 26. :cool: