1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

The better Dobbs plays the more likely....

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelers-MT, Aug 11, 2018.

1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Another thing to consider, aside from the contract, Landry is going on 30 and Dobbs is 23.

IMO, it's foolish keeping Landry. His only advantage is playing time which isn't extensive by any stretch of the imagination.

2. Confluence

Confluence Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2017
    my thinking, right now, and this could change, I think we go 4 QBs in the final 53

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  3. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Some team could have some injuries at the QB position and be desperate for depth, if they want to keep Dobbs on the practice squad fine but not on the 53 I hope.

4. D0bre Shunka

D0bre Shunka Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2012
    Not sure where everyone is coming from? No one is going to be breaking down the bank door for Dobbs. He may go but it won't be a big deal. In a relatively short time Dobbs gets on with his life's work in science. Playing for the Steelers will have been a distant yet pleasant memory for him to tell in his older years. That's it.

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Colbert disagrees with you, he already came out and said Landry is the #2 QB. Why would the Steelers want a inexperienced #2 QB this season?

6. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Bold statement when the majority of teams are going with only 2.

7. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Link or it didn't happen. Plus Tomlin disagrees with you.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/08/14/mike-tomlin-wont-say-landry-jones-is-a-lock/

LJ has 5 starts, thats a mountain of experience to over come. I've made a sound case for Dobbs, contract, age and overall talent. Jones one advantage is 5 starts under his belt.

When the 53 is set, then we'll get the real answer and not bs lip service from Colbert and Tomlin. If you really believe either would make a definitive statement now, I have a bridge to sell you.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    And for this reason, I don’t see him going to the PS. First he has to be cut. Then anyone can negotiate for him.

9. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    And if I'm Dobbs, and I'm cut, the last thing I want to do is sign on the Pittsburgh Steelers practice squad. They already have their young QB development project, and they'll give Rudolph a few years to fail before they look to Dobbs. Practice Squad money ain't huge. But if Dobbs can't find a roster spot on any other NFL team, he'd be better off signing on the PS of a team that doesnt have a young prospect or playing in Canada or start that engineering career.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    It didn't work out so well for Archer last season when he felt the Pats were a better opportunity to get playing time than the Steelers and he couldn't even dress for them when they were hurting big time for receiver help. So by all means roll the dice and see if you get a better situation but remember this is the QB position we are talking about. Not like he can get solid reps in playing special teams or as the 3rd string CB, he pretty much is relegated to doing one thing and thats running the oppositions plays no matter where he catches on

11. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Those five starts aren't his only advantage. He has played in other games. He has years of experience going through practice and building up relationships and timing with the Steelers' other offensive players. He is also a more accurate passer.

The only advantage Dobbs has is mobility. Give me a guy who can make the throws over a guy who can run a little any day.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    The reason why they will be keeping Landry Jones over Dobbs is because we currently have a Superbowl contending team right now.

If we were in rebuilding mode that might be a different story. Bell is gone after this year, and so is Landry Jones as he's in the final year of his contract.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    He has more experience then Dobbs, thats for sure but its by no means a plethora of experience. 169 attempts in 5 years.

Jones accuracy isnt exactly a strength, especially when he doesnt have a clean pocket. Most of Dobbs problems was his junior year, went from 59% to 63% completions in his senior year. Jones meanwhile was 66%. Dobbs throws a good accurate deep ball, his big problem is those out passes, struggles with that. But most of his completions at Tennessee were 10 yards or less, perfect for RPO.

Add in his athleticism, I would take him over Jones in a heartbeat. Steelers may not feel that way, may like knowing exactly what they have in LJ and don't care about paying him again next season or that he will be 30. Just not what I'm hoping for.

14. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    PS pay is far more than any players could make in the job market for 20 year olds, I could easily get by on the PS salary if I was a young man, most of these guys couldn't get more than min wage in the economy, and 122K for 17 weeks work is big bucks for these guys, they couldnt make this much money in only in 17 weeks in any job they could get with no job experience:

Practice squad players earn paychecks on a weekly basis. They're not getting the far bigger paychecks players on the 53-man roster receive. For the 2017 season, practice squad players can make no less than $7,200 per week, which equates to $122,400 for the season.Sep 3, 2017

Last edited: Aug 15, 2018
  15. Steelers-MT

Steelers-MT Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2017
    Looks like Dobbs made the wrong read on the pick.
    Had the other WR open in end zone.

16. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Steelers don't operate that way. The reason they will keep Landry is if they don't think Dobbs is good enough. SB really doesn't figure in to their thinking or they'd never have drafted Mason. They would have taken a player they felt could help this year.

The deck is stacked against Dobbs but I'm rooting for him.

17. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011

$122k, if he can stay on the PS all season. As injuries and team needs arise PS guys are jettisoned all the time. A kid from my area bounced on and off PSs for a couple of years, he probably wasn't on one much more than half the time. I suspect Dobbs might earn $122k in Canada. Starting engineering salaries run close to $60k/yr. So Mr Dobbs has better options than most unskilled young men in today's economy.

But if Dobbs can't get on a 53-man roster, and goes on a practice squad, he'd probably want to go get on one with a team that doesn't have a young QB ahead of him. So Pittsburgh Steelers Practice SQuad (PSPS?) would be his lost resort.

18. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Dobbs can go to Denver. Their QB situation is a mess.

19. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Colbert has more say in this matter than Tomlin :shrug:, the only thing Dobbs has over Jones is his athleticism he's not worth keeping just because of that. Colbert made that statement about Jones being #2 a few weeks ago, I'm not searching for it though.

20. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Theres no way Colbert said that. You read into something that wasn't there or flat out misunderstood.

Disagree with you about Dobbs obviously. He's a better QB, just lacks the hour that Jones has.

21. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2018
  22. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
  23. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Hopefully we will get a higher draft pick than we used to get him?

24. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    That's not happening, they would be lucky to get a 6th or 7th rd pick for Dobbs.

25. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011