1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

The better Dobbs plays the more likely....

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelers-MT, Aug 11, 2018.

1. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    I thought the INT was a great pass. Defender made break on the ball and made a great play. It was a good read, Dobbs threw a perfect pass. Sometimes the other guy makes a play. The passes I had a problem with were the out routes to the sideline. Could have had a couple of other balls picked. Other than that Dobbs looked way better than I thought he would.

2. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    I don't know... the Dobbs INT looked like a dangerous, reckless gamble to me.... Brett Favre-ish when he would throw 5 INTs in a game. Maybe I need to watch it again.

3. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    I thought the pick had a lil air under it, but I agree about his out throws. It will be hard for him to compete if he can't throw those better.

4. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    He had at least three lousy throws, including the interception. People need to realize Dobbs just isn't that good.

5. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Have to be able to make those 20 yard outs that he was intercepted on.

6. BK99

BK99 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    I like that Dobbs has mobility and his reads looked to be improved over last season. The issues he has however remain the same, and they are the ones that are extremely important. The one issue he has that didn't seem to get better is his locking on a receiver, you can tell who he is going to throw it to as soon as the ball is snapped.

The biggest issue is accuracy and there are two throws he just can't make at this level. As pointed out previously, he can't throw an out route to the sideline, he either comes close to getting picked or the throw is way off target. The other throw is the intermediate throw, on those throws he is wildly inconsistent, off target most of the time.

The TD pass caught by Patterson was great but the throw was as well, in fact the throw was perfect as it was put in the only place that gave it a chance to be caught without the defender being able to touch it. You look at that and you see the flashes but he may never be able to make that same throw and that is the issue he needs to fix but we've all watched QBs with accuracy issues on other teams and it seems that problem never goes away.

7. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    dobbs and Rudolph have way more upside than landry, but doesn't mean they are currently better than landry, or guaranteed to be better. (That would be sad lol)

8. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    And the upside will land one of them a spot. But the Steelers aren't going into the season basing their #2 on upside. LJ will be #2 when the season starts. Now, how long he stays there.....?

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    I guess we can all be giddy that

1. we have a capable .500 backup
    2. we have a future prospect who imo looks already better than Brady
    3. we also have Mason :D

10. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    Actually LJ is better than a 500 BU, he has a winning record at 3-2, he has 6 years in this system and is capable of winning games in BBs absence and no matter what dobbs and MR does in this preseason one of them will be the 3 and one will be gone when it's all said and done....

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    honestly I poop on him a lot but that is just because of the moustache. He is a pretty good backup

12. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Dobbs will run the 1st team offense on Thursday night. Big stage to showcase his skills in a hostile environment. So it is his biggest opportunity to say he deserves a roster spot.

13. m4mica

m4mica Active Member

Oct 21, 2014
    The biggest issue I have with Dobbs was summed up on that drive close to the goal line where they rolled him out. I never, ever want to see Ben run that play (nor would he). So, at some point they put that play in the offense and practiced it which seems like a waste of time. I think that's why they like LJ. He will basically run Ben's offense as-is which maintains some semblance of continuity. It was the same when Vick was here. He's a left handed QB so the offense always looked out of sync when he came in which is understandable.

14. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    If Dobbs doesn't make the roster, which is unlikely, he would be a dummy to go to our practice squad. He'd be stuck in purgatory for ever. His best bet would be to sign elsewhere. And some other team will assuredly offer him at a minimum a practice squad spot with more long term opportunity.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    On that type play, Ben wouldn't "run" so much as "lumber".

16. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    I think the problem for Dobbs is how the Offense is run. The system is made for a pocket style QB. He can do that, but he wants to make plays with his legs too. Our offense isn't set up that way. I think an NFL coach and O- Coordinator, want the best candidate to best run the offense should it be for a short period of time. To A.) Finish and win the game, B.) Buy enough time to where to O runs efficiently while starter is out, during the game. C.) Manage a few games for a short period while the starter is injured.

If you take that into consideration for this Steelers team.

It's
    1. Landry Jones
    2. Mason Rudolph
    3. Josh Dobbs- To practice squad, or picked up by another NFL team.

17. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    :confused1:

18. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Not sure I phrased that the way I meant it.

19. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    The problem isn't the offense. It's him. Dobbs just isn't accurate.

20. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    My mind says LJ . My heart says Dobbs. I just get tired of the same old ,same old. LJ and his stellar 3-2 career record,all of the wins coming from beating the Browns unfortunately probably still gives us the best chance to win a game. It's not really saying much because his competition is so young and inexperienced. I clearly think the younger guys have a lot more upside. Maybe ,like I've said before Dobbs comes down with a mysterious injury and we can stash him on IR. Maybe we are trying to see what he has and actually entertain the thought of carrying 4(doubtful).
    I'm having a hard time getting a read on how the playing time in the preseason is factoring into their decision. I know Rudolph is safe and LJ most likely isn't going anywhere I think they are trying to figure out how much trouble keeping Dobbs in some capacity is worth...

21. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I can't imagine they would keep four quarterbacks. They just don't seem to have the room.

I'm guessing they keep at least 11 defensive backs. Do they cut Ridley or hold on to five running backs? They can't really keep fewer than three tight ends given McDonald's durability issues. Foster's questionable status for the start of the season might force them into keeping an extra offensive lineman. Where do they find the room for a fourth quarterback?

Unless somebody gets hurt, I don't see how they don't cut Dobbs and hope they can sign him to the practice squad.

22. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I know it's highly unlikely and sneaking Dobbs to PS would be ideal. Agree on TEs and OL for sure. They have a better chance of keeping 4 QBs than 5 RBs IMO. 4th and 5 th RBs are easier to find and they have invested a draft pick on Dobbs. Basically Ridley and Toussaint were on the street...

I know Dobbs was only a 4th rounder but you remember the 1974 draft I think? .....:hehehe::roflmao:I kill my self sometimes....

Edit: totally forgot about Nix, he is making the team and he will count as the 4th or 5 th RB....only 4 including Nix will dress....

Last edited: Aug 14, 2018
  23. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Sounds like Dennis Dixon 2.0

24. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Dobbs was a wasted pick, they need to move on trade him for a 7th rd pick no future here.

25. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    You need a trade partner on a guy who could be had for free in a couple of weeks?