1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Is Antonio Brown the Steelers greatest WR ever?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by saturdaysarebetter, Jul 26, 2018.

1. saturdaysarebetter

saturdaysarebetter Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2018
    Seeing the Antonio Brown vs Hines Ward post, leads me to ask: Is Antonio Brown the Steelers greatest WR ever? Has he surpassed Swann & Stallworth? When you think about 88 & 82 you think of the great catches on the greatest stage when it counted most. Brown hasn't had that opportunity. Hopefully, he will.

2. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    not yet

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    I thought for a min you were saying he's the goat.

4. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Limas Sweed

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  5. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    No, barring injury he will be very soon though.

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    with 0 superbowls :D

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  7. 86WardsWay

Dec 27, 2012

I was just about to edit that and say he needs to add SB's. Without those he won't ever be considered better than Stallworth or Swann.

• Like Like x 1
  8. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Here's how I'd rank 'em:

(At present)

Hines Ward
    John Stallworth
    Antonio Brown
    Lynn Swann
    Louis Lipps
    Santonio Holmes
    Plaxico Burress
    Antwaan Randle El
    Yancey Thigpen
    Weegie Thompson
    Darius Heyward-Bey

9. Watt Wack

Watt Wack Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2017
    WRs are so not in control of winning SBs. That litmus test is more appropriate for QBs but still hardly all-telling. (Marino, Fouts).

AB _IS_ the best WR in Steeler history already. What he has done, year-to-year, is mind boggling.

10. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    He is the best Steelers receiver I have seen.

As for the best ever among the Steelers, I leave that question to the likes of Jeh, Jack Attack or Blast Furnace as I have insufficient information on any of the previous Steelers great receivers sans what I have discerned myself with and perused.

11. jrompola

jrompola Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2015
    The game has changed so much it is hard to compare eras especially with some of the legendary steeler greats. AB is by fat the most accomplished stat wise and string of years in a row at being a top WR. In terms of going down as an all time great steeler...he certainly will, but imo he cannot jump above those who have brought superbowls back to pittsburgh. I get WRs do not control the game as much as a QB in discussing superbowls, but we aren't talking about bengals all time greats here...we're talking about pittsburgh all time greats in which us fans value lombardi's over stats.

12. tyler christopher

tyler christopher Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2016

What he said and Lynn swann is my favorite alltime steeler.......... sometimes you have to take the goggles off............

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. pjgruden

pjgruden

Oct 16, 2011
    I think he has the greatest skillset of any Steelers WR ever. But I think that he doesn't have the accomplishments of some of the others... yet. So as of this moment right now, no. Will he be the best Steelers WR ever provided his career lasts the typical number of years with a relatively free injury history? Most likely.

14. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    looked up past steeler greats like swann and Stallworth and their stats were very pedestrian. Ward can somewhat compare the first 8 years of AB, but AB blows him by.

AB's last 5 years are absurd. Keeps this level of play up and he can sit next to JR.

15. saturdaysarebetter

saturdaysarebetter Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2018
    You can't go by their stats. Those "very pedestrian" stats and they still ended up in the Pro Football Hall of Fame. How do you explain that with "very pedestrian" stats? They didn't play flag football back then, they played big boy football. Swann got viciously and illegally concussed when the football wasn't even near him. They played in a run on first and second down era especially on the Steelers with Franco and Rocky for a large part of their careers.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Steellamb86

Steellamb86 Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2015
    Who on the list shown has ever been able to make the claim..."The Best Receiver in the league"...for whatever years they played? I think Swann and Stallworth and Ward were all great, but none of them have that claim. AB is such a great receiver...I am so happy he is on our team.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    Hines Ward is my favorite Steeler of all time. But AB is just on a completely different level. If AB stays healthy he will own every Steelers receiving record within the next 3 seasons. He has already passed Swan and Stallworth. Even if he never gets his Super Bowl moment, he is the greatest wide receiver I have ever seen in a Steelers uniform. I think even Hines himself would admit that.

18. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    He will be when it's all said and done

19. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Nah, screw those old bastards.

I’d go for:

Stallworth
    Brown
    Ward
    Swann
    Lipps
    Thigpen

Then the rest.

20. jrompola

jrompola Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Maybe I'm nitpicking, but when I think of greatest I think of those who won superbowls.
    If the question was best it is AB.

21. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Well, let's look at Pro Bowls and First team All-Pro selections

Hines Ward: 4 Pro bowls , 0 1st Team All Pro
    Swann: 3 Pro Bowls, 1 time 1st Team All-Pro
    Stallworth: 3PB, 1 1st Team All-Pro

AB: 6 time PB, 4-time 1st Team All Pro

So AB has been a First Team All-Pro twice as many times as the other 3 guys combined, and he's not done yet.

Clearly, those making the seclections have been more impressed with AB than their contemporaries were with Ward, Swann OR StallWorth.

22. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Barring Injury and a good QB, for the remaining playing years he may well
    be the GOAT.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. 86WardsWay

Dec 27, 2012

To be fair. It's a popularity contest these days. Polamalu was an example of that his last couple of Pro Bowls. Back in the 70's, 80's and 90's you had to earn it a lot more to get to Hawaii.

24. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Problem these days is the BEST fall into the new category of stats via fantasy points. I'll say brown is the best in the game currently PERIOD! However his over all value in the trophy case fails to this point. If things don't change in that dept, he doesn't belong in GOAT talk in my opinion. He will probably fall short in the TD dept vs rice not too mention the trophy dept vs rice and his team alumni but he will be known as one of the best.

25. MattyMo9

MattyMo9 Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2017
    Let’s see him win something first