1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

For those who think we have a shot at Bell next year....

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by jamboxmusic, Jul 24, 2018.

1. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    You are extremely wrong on this.

You confuse objective with a differing opinion. Just as an FYI, differing opinions are part of the function of this MB. Even the dumb assed ones that don’t agree with me. ;)

2. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    It would be insane to pay a RB that much. A Bell or Kamara would be someone hat you can get away with because they are all around weapons. If you can’t be a legit threat as a receiver at RB, you aren’t worth the dough. I get that Gurley is really good and young, but wooooo that contract is too much. Not for what he brings the team.

I totally agree that the new RB market will see guys get drafted and stay for one contract and then move on. Too easy to find really good talent (outside of the first round too) and too easy to get great production by committee to throw money at RB’s to the time of 15 mil.

We never won a championship with Bell (hoping that changes this year :)) but we could have a chance to win one with a Deangelo Williams type back and receiving back combining to make about 6 mil a year and then spending that other 10 mil a year on the defense....

3. 58stillers

58stillers

Nov 14, 2011
    Dobbler brought up a good point.... that I heard talked about on a show today.

Bell isn’t likely to get a 45m guaranteed contract next year either. Basically, he’s gotten 30m over 2017-2018 franchise tags..... he’ll be a year older at the end of the season..... don’t expect a monster contract offer.... even from another team......next opportunity to play elsewhere and he’ll be 27 1/2...... he did likely get a 4-5 year deal backloaded because of his age and 30 year ceiling for RB’s. It’s possible he is cockiness will result in him missing the money ball he’s expecting.

4. m4mica

m4mica Active Member

Oct 21, 2014
    Not trying to have it both ways. Wentz had a better season last year, no question. But he's still a young QB and there's the possibility (although I doubt it) that he could regress. More importantly he's coming off a bad injury and will start season on PUP list. For those reasons in 2018 I'd take Ben. For 2019 and beyond I would take Wentz.

5. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    The argument that Gurley isn't as dynamic is just silly. He's actually more of a home run hitter, primarily because he is faster.

Gurley was better than Bell in 2017. He is younger with a lot less mileage on his body. He had the one major knee injury, but Bell has been hurt more often. He hasn't been busted for drugs and Bell has been suspended for violating the league policy twice.

If I had a choice of which guy I'd sign to a big, guaranteed contract, Gurley would be an easy choice. Throw in the fact that the Rams still have a quarterback on his rookie contract, so they have a bit more flexibility, and it is very easy to see why they were able to lock up Gurley.

6. jamboxmusic

jamboxmusic Member

Jan 1, 2012
    Sorry man, I got to disagree... you’re using logic over reality. Lol. I’ve been guilty of that as well, but then I see mid tier qbs and borderline number 1 wrs signing league high contracts. You eventually stop asking yourself how the hell he was able to get that contract figure..

I’d argue market value is inflating at a rate that could ultimately destroy a team for years; and it will, the market will correct itself similar to the Peterson/ Vikings contract situation. But until that happens...the cycle continues.

however, your reasoning is spot on...remember though, McCoy became the highest paid RB not long ago and he was 28. If my memory is accurate.

If Bell has a mediocre year, the next offer to him will still be higher than Gurleys... Gurleys contract is now a baseline for the next guy...it’s a cycle based on what the last guy got, and less about value that player brings to a team. It’s reality...

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    And Gurley has had one great season, one very and season worse than any leveon had, and a pretty good rookie season.

8. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    I know I'm being a butt but I hope leveon gets WAY less than what he wants lol.

9. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    You are right, there are a number of us whom are more concerned with the Steelers than the individual. There are many here who have been a fan of the team for 20, 30, or more years. I have loved individual players as they have passed through, but I didn't follow them to retirement or to their next team. I remained a fan of the Steelers, regardless of who was playing for them. Nothing wrong with being a fan of a certain player and not of the team. I can't get into that line of thinking, but if it works for someone else, good on them. I don't begrudge anyone trying to get paid, but at the same time, I don't begrudge the team trying to manage their cap and stay competitive. How did trading away the future in Minnesota for Hershel Walker work for the Vikings?

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    Wentz is cleared to play avoiding the PUP list:

Sports Philidelphia:

After a day of needlessly freaking out, Eagles fans can relax a little bit tonight. Carson Wentz isn’t going on the Active/PUP (physically unable to perform) list and will be able to practice Thursday afternoon when the Eagles hold their first session of training camp.

11. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Time will tell how wonderful the Rams feel about Gurleys deal. One play could set the Rams back years.

12. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Wouldn't this apply to any QB or wr as well?

13. BRICKS

BRICKS Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2016
    Bell is worth twice as much a Gurly.

14. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    He’s been suspended twice as much.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    I wonder what football analyst 98 feels like after some of gurleys breakdown contractually. Todd did not get his guaranteed 45 mil just to sign the line. Just like Bell would've had to put in 3 seasons to accumulate his 45, apparently Todd gonna have to show up for more than a season or 2 as well.

16. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Gurley is not worth what he got... Bell is not worth what he turned down twice. Fortunately for them, the league and its many teams will always pay more than others for folks time and time again and get nothing other than percentage points financially in return for employing them as well as those that end up with total buyers remorse. That is one thing that has not changed in the league.

Bell has a guaranteed 12 some odd mil dollar deal to justify him icing the cake as the highest paid at his position going into negotiations next year if he produces. In all honesty, I think his numbers drop further off this season although I hope he has his best year and the trophy comes home but that because I'm a fan of the end result and not his personal accomplishment.

Again Gurley ain't worth what he got and bell ain't worth double that. Bell finished behind gurley and don't offer the youth Todd has however offers the baggage todd does not. Pretty easy to figure out who the better investment is as far as business speak goes... Also funny after the banter yesterday that bells offer is being painted as a back handed low ball. I'm not a capologist, but after reading the breakdown, it appears the only difference in the 2 contracts was gurley got 11 and change more mil to sign the contract than bell would have. Both have that 45 number thrown around in both deals and it appears that in order to get to that number, both would have to show up for more than one season for anything guaranteed in the 45 neighborhood talk. Stupid

Last edited: Jul 27, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
  18. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  19. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Bell looked horrid his first game back last year he was bad for a few games a matter of fact . With that said Conner had a good practice catching the ball well and finishing plays . If Conner has a great camp and preseason he should get the week 1 start.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    Signing high traffic, aging RBs to big contracts is a huge mistake. Let him go, draft RB early, add a vet RB, still have money left. Win.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. DDay

DDay Member

Jul 24, 2018
    This is interesting. Gurley’s Guaranteed money is only $21.95M this year (additional injury protection) whereas Bell would have made in the ~$24M range. Bell is not making a good decision.

By not signing, he’s assuming health and a good year in 2018-19, which would have triggered another ~$14Mm next year had he signed. With one strong season this year he would have been guaranteed ~$38MM. Ah well.

22. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Labs tweeted that the Steelers could use the transition tag on Bell next season and still have the rights to match any offer or at least get a pick out of the deal. Chances they don't go this route?

Edit: read it wrong says they have the right to match any offer or not receive any compensation if they dont.

23. Coastal Steeler

Coastal Steeler

Oct 16, 2011
    FiretrUCK Bell. I don't even want him this year

• Like Like x 1
  24. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    No, it isn't even close to reality. Most NFL teams actually do the opposite of what you just posted. Bell isn't going to be paid based on what he has done. He will be paid based on what teams think he will do. That is why Gurley was more valuable now. He is coming off a better season. He is younger. He doesn't have as much mileage on him. He doesn't have two drug suspensions in his history.

If Bell has a mediocre year, he's not getting more than Gurley did. After seeing his yards per carry drop dramatically in 2017, a mediocre 2018 would be a sign of a significant downward trend at a position where players do not age well.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  25. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Personally, I think they should have used the transition tag this year when they would have gotten the compensation or the option to match.

• Agree Agree x 1