1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Schefter ..Le'Veon Bell to miss first half of season

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by mcam, Jul 16, 2018.

1. Jares

Jares Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2016
    31 other teams don't cheat. Sorry, couldn't resist.

As for Bell: I just listened to an interview his agent gave and it is all nonsense. It seems to come down to him wanting more money than any other RB because he catches passes and runs WR routes sometimes. I don't ever remember Marshall Faulk pulling this crap. He's not the only RB to catch passes. He also seems to forget that he is a two-time drug offender and has been seriously injured. I think 70 mil over five years was pretty darn generous considering. Some team is going to buy into his B.S. but (hopefully) we'll end up with a high character guy who runs with heart and puts winning ahead of the contract amount. As I have said before, I think this new attitude era we are living in where players are more concerned about money and brand over team and success on the field is sad. There is no loyalty to teams and cities anymore.

Also, there was nothing in the interview about him missing half the season. It appears he will do what he did last year and skip camp and preseason.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    If Bell ends up not playing a down for us from this point forward, our main loss would be his pass catching ability that gets our offense clicking IMO. He is a defensive coordinator`s nightmare and when he is gone our offense is downgraded. Maybe not so much on the run side, but the ability to overwhelm the defenses out there and keep the chains moving.

3. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Change definitely isn't going to be made on a Steelers message board.

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  4. D0bre Shunka

D0bre Shunka Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2012
    It's always going to be the guaranteed but the Steelers stepped up and offered him more money than any RB in the league<period>

It was enough for him.

• Agree Agree x 4
  5. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    We should have been gotten rid of him then and drafted a rb in the first rd.

6. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    I personally cant speak on what's enough for anyone. Im still lost why floyd Mayweather at 40 just fought last August when he made over half a billion in his career prior to that fight...

7. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: A third facepalm could be added, if you include:
    Willie Parker's career rushing numbers are almost identical to Bell's (YPC are Identical), and Willie split time with Bettis for the first half of his career. Willie was solid catching passes out of the backfield too, he just wasn't targeted on every other play like Bell.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. LambertsDentist

LambertsDentist Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2014
    I'll see your :facepalm: and raise you another one if you're going to compare Bell to Willie Parker. Bell is a better runner, better receiver, and better blocker (our best blocking RB since Rocky IMO) than Parker was. I'm tired of Bell's drama and I think he has at best 2 more productive years left in him. Still, we gotta be honest and admit that Bell is (was?) A generational player. Parker was good but never elite like Bell is or was.

9. Daddymac10

Daddymac10 Well-Known Member

May 1, 2015
    More fake news here??

10. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    I agree - it's not so much about Parker sharing time with the Bus and getting similar yards; it's that Parker's style needed a power RB alongside it to be really effective. Bell is more of an all-rounder, hence his value.

Just my opinion, obvs.

11. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    I agree... I was always a fan of Fast Willie. He was the perfect compliment to Bettis in '05.

Super Bowl Ring count:

Parker- 2
    Bell- 0

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    I'm a Bell fan. I sang his praises when we drafted him and people were wondering why. I believe he is one of the best in the game. He does all the things you want a back to do. He is worth more money than the average back. He is not worth selling the farm for. If he sits out more than 2 or 3 games, sit his butt for the rest of the season. Bell acts like he is the first back to catch passes. What is next, paying receivers as running backs when the run a reverse?

13. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    Yeah, and all of those guys took time to develop. We seem to be putting a lot of stock in being able to throw guys on the field day one and perform. Look at Harrison. It took multiple teams and years before he developed. The Super Bowl window for this team is very close to closing. Im all for developing talent, as long as that talent is sitting behind guys that can actually play.

14. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    I wasn't really comparing the two, just their stats. I did love watching Willie play though...

15. Coastal Steeler

Coastal Steeler

Oct 16, 2011
    Let him miss 9 games then find a reason to suspend him for the other 7 make that 10. He will get smoked up one day, get busted then be out for next year. Tag would be rescinded. Then offer him $100,000 a game for the 3rd year. Wouldn't happen but would be good for him. He finally pissed me off

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Did you change your shirt after you spit out your beer?

Hmm..

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  17. D0bre Shunka

D0bre Shunka Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2012
    I think the Steelers have always played with the guaranteed vs gross (for press release) money. In fact, I dare say, they're masters at it. That's what allows them to compete with high end markets, such as New York, Chicago, LA and so forth... However, in this case it hasn't worked, thus far with Bell.

He wants "Top of the League" , QB/WR Diva money. We can debate all day but it is what it is.
    So, we have him for at least one more season and there ya go.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    I dont think DCs worry too much about his 7 yard average in receptions they would worry if he could get the big 15 to 50 gainers but he just cant get rolling running or catching, defenses have his number and that number says he dances too much when he runs and he cant break the big gains in his passing game..........

19. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    No I drank more beer

20. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    You are my inspiration

:drinks:

21. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    How do you know the window is closing? How many have we won with Bell and AB? It's been a long time since we won one you know. Last time we won one was with an udfa at RB. Im not saying Franklin will put us there but don't write off this team as down to its last chance. We don't know what these young guys are capable of just yet.:cool:

22. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    I still say he comes back next year as a free agent.

Bell will test the water out, and quickly learn one thing... He is a running Back.

Next year Bell will be a year older and will not find any team out there willing to give him anything near what the Steelers offered him this year.

In 2019 he will be back in the Black & Gold and be the highest paid "Running Back" in the league.
    And, there is no way he will miss a single payday this year.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  23. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    Bell had his chance and blew it. A large market team will gladly pay him. Steelers will be drafting RB in round 1 or 2 next year depending on where they are drafting in '19 and ILBs available when they pick in first round. The draft is either gonna be ILB-1, RB-2 or RB-1 ILB-2.

• Agree Agree x 2
  24. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    Its hard to believe its been 10 years. The window to win another Super Bowl with Ben is definitely closing. Maybe Rudolph is the next man up. Maybe hes not. Point being that we are a legit Super Bowl contender this season. That may not be the case next year. I would prefer not to hinge our Super bowl hopes on a handful of UDFAs.

25. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    The window has shut. The defense is a train-wreck and it's gonna take a few drafts and offseasons to fix it. Ben will be done by then. Tomlin and Colbert have bungled this defense to the point of absurdity with bad draft picks. Rudolph has a better chance at delivering #7 at this point.

• Winner Winner x 1