1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Next year...No Bell, but more Cap Money

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelcityclash, Jul 17, 2018.

1. MattyMo9

MattyMo9 Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2017
    It’s cool me and Jeh like to dig at each other but in the end we are both Iron fans so he is ok in my book.

• Like Like x 1
  2. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    He's a good Old dude!

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  3. vlad582

vlad582 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2017
    I'm really not worried if Bell comes back or not, definite pros and cons to both scenarios. We all know Bell's pros, but the money he is asking for is what you give a guy you definitely cannot survive without, which Bell is not. Our offense performed comparably with D'Angelo and didn't miss too much of a beat. As long as you have a half decent running back who can catch, and not camp fodder which we had playing when Bell and D'Angelo went down, we will be fine. That money buys a lot of upgrades in a lot of different areas that week make this team better.

4. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Maybe we buy a 16 game TE.:cool:

5. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    There is no way this team is going to pay Bell 20 plus million to sign a 3rd tag and then watch him miss another training camp, and I dont expect Bell to lay it all on the line this season knowing he is gone in 2019....

6. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    This is the really interesting part to all this. Whether he will be here next year or not isn't even really that important until after THIS season. How will he perform this season is a huge question mark, especially with someone like Bell. Does he tank the season to protect his body, or does he play lights-out for the paycheck? Does he bank on the fact someone will be dumb enough to pay his demands whichever decision he makes? If he has decided he is gone, I suspect he will tank and bank on someone paying him anyhow. This is why I believe if he misses more than 2 to 3 games, he sits the rest of the year.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Hey, I resemble that remark. :smiley1:

• Like Like x 1
  8. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Can they do a 3rd tag? I didn’t realize that was an option.

If it’s not, I think that helps the Steelers. My reason is this, he gets to test the market. If they offered him 70 mil, pay him 14 and change this year, it stands to reason they start the conversation at 55 million.

Does another team want to invest that into a RB? With Ben, the Steelers know what they have in Bell. Does another QB check down to Bell as often? Does Bell’s hesitation work with another O-Line. Sure some other teams will compete for Bell, but will they be significantly greater?

How Bell does this year will certainly determine that. What if he rushes for 2000 yards and adds another 500+ receiving? He would get everything he is asking for.

Last I checked, he never won a rushing title and his YPC wasn’t that great. He had very few break away runs last year. Does that trend hold? Or does he put up gawdy stats?

If he simply repeats the last two years, I don’t see him getting much more than what they offered. Of course guaranteed is s big difference, makes me wonder if he takes less overall for more guaranteed money.

I read on here that the Steelers only guaranteed 10 million. I find that hard to believe when this year they’re paying him $14 million.

Either way, I would love for him to have a monster season. The Steelers are certainly paying him to do so.

9. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    one thing for sure bell will get a guaranteed 14.55 mil. this season. i wouldnt have taken 10 mil either. maybe he will next year. :cool:

10. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    Yes they could but the price for a 3rd tag is so high they wont:

CBS Sports:
    If the Steelers want to keep Bell, they would have to hit him with the franchise tag for a third straight season, which calls for a ridiculous raise. Under NFL rules, a player is entitled to a 44 percent raise when he's tagged for a third time, which means the Steelers would have to pay Bell roughly $20.9 million in 2019. I can tell you right now, that's definitely not going to happen.[/QUOTE]

11. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    Anyone ever seen Dumb and Dumber? Saying Bell could be back is similar to Lloyd saying he has a chance with the girl.

12. Spencer

Spencer Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2016
    Bell is not the beginning and the end for our Steelers hopes to be pinned upon. It's a passing league and there is no reason to give any running back the kind of money he wants. There is enough talent on our offense that doesn't require breaking the bank, killing the chance to sign others in the future over Bell. Bell is good but he misses a lot of games, he has gotten into trouble, he's getting older. I see not setbacks when he's gone.