1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Schefter ..Le'Veon Bell to miss first half of season

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by mcam, Jul 16, 2018.

1. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    James Conner played fine. He's had some injury issues and needs to work on pass blocking.

I just posted a video on Stevan Ridley. Hasn't fumbled a football since 2013 despite limited carries.

Samuels is clearly built at 6 foot, 225lbs and runs like a half back not a tight end in the NFL. Most of his snaps actually were by far at slot receiver. So he can work as a dual threat and 3rd down back eventually.

Bell's not going to sit out, because ultimately he wants his big payday year. Kind of hard to do that if you have no stats to show. In the NFL, players abilities go year to year. Ultimately sitting out a year would cause all kinds of questions whether he still had it or not.

Not going to collect that 18 mil a year.

2. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    Two things would surprise me at this point...Bell sitting out more than 3 games and Bell being here next year.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. LoneGranger

LoneGranger Well-Known Member

May 5, 2016
    "It's about principle at that point. No need to cater to primadonnas. ... I'd take players that are putting the work in over an entitled running back any day of the week, even if their production is not as good."

Amen, Amen, AMEN! Can the Steelers sign Bell to the franchise tag and then trade him for some cellar dweller team's #1 draft pick? This year? Don't even think of having him on the team for this year or any year. After watching Mike Shanahan's Bronco teams produce one successful running back after another, I decided it was the offensive line and Mike's zone blocking scheme. I believe Samuels and Conner can replace Bell and not miss a beat with the Steelers O-line. Let Bell prove it is him and not the O-line. Trade him to a team with a lousy O-line.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
  5. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    Mac this is kind of what Im talking about. I think we all put too much stock in bottom feeder players. 32 teams passed on Franklin for 7 rounds. There has to be a reason. For every Willie Parker, there are 100 other UFA who dont make it.

You read some of these posts and people have a 6th round career backup tackle from Bama as a starter. People think we have depth at LB because we have Keon Adams and Matt Thomas. Reality is who knows if these guys even make the roster.

6. D0bre Shunka

D0bre Shunka Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2012
    Reportedly turned down 70 mil. wow

7. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    I guess you are more of a glass half full guy than me. If Bell plays the whole season I like our depth. If he holds out into the season Im not sure this crop of backs are up to snuff. Samuels is the wildcard. If he proves himself to be a capable 3rd down back, a running back by committee approach could work. Conner a 2 down back, with Ridley as the short yardage guy, and Samuels catching balls out of the backfield.

8. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Steelers should be able to get an excellent RB in round 1 or 2 of 2019 draft. Will probably be drafting around the middle of the pack anyway.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  9. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I don't think Bell holds out for an extended period of time either. I think he will just do the same as last year. Love Bell but I'm kinda glad they didn't sign him long term to those outrageous numbers. A RB only getting older and strangle holed by the cap hit for 5 years. He does have some crazy production but you just can't do it financially imo.

If you didn't like the Mason Rudolph pick before you should be re-thinking that now. I loved the pick but having Rudolph taken in this last draft takes one more need off the list for next year's draft when we may be looking at RBs early.

10. Diamond

May 26, 2012
    If he holds out in the regular season for multiple games this front office should rescind the tag, he also loses 1/17th of his 14.5M for each game he misses.......

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    If they rescind the tag he wins...

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    It's the guaranteed money he wants. I'm sure if this was the nba he'd sign in a min but if he gets hurt next yr or declines yr after Steelers can cut him and he doesnt see half that money...

13. Mailman

Mailman Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2017
    He’d be a fool not to play during the regular season as that would hurt him in free agency next year.He’s the best all around back in the league but his yards per carry were not off the chart.I’m maybe too optimistic but I think he has a great year and someone overlays for him because his stock would go up even more.Owners don’t want to pay for a problem child (which he is anyway) that sits out ten games.They know that would set a precedent and cause havoc for the league !

14. Diamond

May 26, 2012
    He is gone in 2019 anyway so he leaves early, so what, they arent going to pay him 20 million next year on a 3rd tag, rescind the tag and lets move on without this distraction hanging around our necks, and if a team gives him and offer we can match it if we want him this bad..........

15. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Ahhh, expecting us to trade up eh.

• Like Like x 3
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  16. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    The only people distracted by Bell are the people on this board. The team is just fine. They understand the business side.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Diamond

May 26, 2012
    They understand a running back wanting 80 mill, they cant all be that stupid!!!

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. BRICKS

BRICKS Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2016
    Agreed, so many fans are underestimating Bells value to this team. Did you guys not see his performance? He’s the best back in Steeler history and most of you are willing to setttle for James Conner? Are you freakin kidding me?

Pay the man, he is well worth what he is asking.

• Disagree Disagree x 6
  19. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    :facepalm::facepalm:

This post deserves two facepalms. One for Jerome Bettis, the other for Franco Harris.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. BRICKS

BRICKS Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2016
    Neither Franco or Bettis can do the things Bell has done.

• Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  21. Diamond

May 26, 2012
    They have 5 rings between them, franco 4 bettis 1 how many does bell have? bell didnt even show up against the pats in the AFCC game, when they needed him he was a no show..........

• Agree Agree x 2
  22. BRICKS

BRICKS Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2016
    What does super bowl rings have to do with individual performances? Bettis and Franco were on teams with elite defenses, and everyone know defense wins championships. I swear it seems some of you don’t watch football.

• Dislike Dislike x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  23. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    I'm glad he didn't take it...Because it's a terrible deal for the " Steelers "! 4 ypc and 7 ypr are piss poor! 1 run over 20 yards the last 2 years! He is declining fast

His numbers are inflated just by an absolute crazy workload...Stupid by the Steelers imo, especially when we had capable backups to at least spell him, but he also had a crazy number of carries in college too ( not good )

Surgery on both knees already, on groin ( not good ) slow already, and is gonna fall off a cliff quickly...You heard it hear first, you are going to see a rapid decline in Bell...Starting this year

All this is not even factoring in one more puff

Last edited: Jul 17, 2018
    • Winner Winner x 1
  24. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    And they could do a lot Bell can’t. Like score from the 1.

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  25. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    :rolleyes: