1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

O-Line

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by mac daddyo, Jul 14, 2018.

1. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I see we have been ranked as the 4th best line. Of course this is an opinion of a writer so take it with a grain of salt.

How ever, are we as good as previous years? Ramon foster had off season shoulder surgery. Gilbert missed plenty of time last year and is under a microscope for testing since his PED suspension and Hubbard who filled the Swiss army knife role is gone. Gilbert has been known to miss a good deal of time over his career. He improved under munch but how much of that was from the PEDs? Now without them can he be as good or revert back to the very average RT he was prior?

Ramon is aging as well and he never was a very mobile guard. Shoulder surgery and age will factor in. He is in the last year of his contract. Is it time to phase Finney into that spot? He however I believe is only under contract this year.

Feiler is being groomed as the new Swiss army knife but this may be a huge jump for him. He was mostly a right tackle that didn't have great feet and they mostly moved him to right guard as a spot that he would workout better. Now he has to be able to play all 5 spots with not so great movement skills. Hubbard at least was a LT in college and had some decent feet. He worked hard to be able to fill in at these other spots for a few years. I think it was a huge mistake to let him walk.

Chuck's is young but we do have a huge advantadge with our available coaching for him. Will he be ready?:cool:

2. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    I believe so.

"In Munchak We Trust".

He turned the likes of Big Al, Gilbert and even the aforementioned Hubbard into either quality or top tier capable NFL offensive lineman.

I see no reason as to why the likes of Matt Feiler and Chukwuma Okorafor cannot be the same. Regarding Foster, Finney is likely to succeed him after 2019 anyways. The only major spot that has me a bit concerned is center. Then again, we are a ways off from that concern propping up.

Until proven otherwise, with Munchak as the offensive lineman coach, all is well and good in the "Steel City".

3. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    Feiler has better feet and mobility than you think... look back at his workout tape and you'll see what I mean.... that same mobility led me to name him as my dark horse to make the team when we first signed him....
    Foster is getting better with age and has been a pro bowl snubb the last 2 seasons..... he'll be ok ... Gilbert will be watched closely due to the ped mess, but I have faith...... by the end of the season we will have moved from the #4 spot to #1

4. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    We have a competent OL coach.

5. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    It's not the coach I'm concerned about. He still needs the clay to mold.:cool:

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    I'm a firm believer that games are won at the line of scrimmage. So the boys up front is critical. that along with being smart and protecting the football. Guess I get that philosophy from the Cowher days. Think we're due for drafting some offensive lineman especially.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Agree with Mac and Mcam, we need some influx of talent. You can't expect Munch to turn every UDFA/late rounder into an all pro. Hopefully a tackle or center is taken in that 2-3 round range next year. I think we are set at G with DD and Finney for the foreseeable future.

Hawkins' injury hit the depth hard at T too.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    Down a couple already.

Parker Collins carted off with what may be a knee injury. Bryce Harris let go as well. Looks like they are all in on chuks. Collins was a backup center that usually is a big need. That 3rd center has been important at times the last few years. Harris failed the run test. We should see some moves made soon for at least one more o-linemen. Corner Malik Reaves was signed after the Harris release.:cool:.