1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Bell....

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by BobbyBiz, Jul 15, 2018.

1. BobbyBiz

BobbyBiz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    5 years 80 mil. Announced tomorrow. You heard it here first ;)

2. Kreighoff

Kreighoff Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2017
    What an insane number, you heard that here first.
    I would like to see the details to see if it hand cuffs us for years to come.

3. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    It sure sounds like it will do exactly that to the Steelers. There is no way Bell will still be an elite back by even the fourth year of that deal.

In the short term, this would be great. The Steelers can't afford to have Bell miss all of training camp and suck for most of the first half of the season again.

That said, I think it is a mistake to sign him long term. I think the big drop in average per carry was an early sign of decline in Bell. I think he can still be great for another year or two, but counting on anything more than that is a huge mistake.

Also, people in favor of the long-term deal seem to be forgetting that Bell has been hurt quite a bit. In that respect, staying healthy last season was an anomaly. Also, he has been busted for violating the league's drug policy twice. Any long-term deal should allow the Steelers an escape clause in the case of a third bust, but I doubt it will have such a provision.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 3
  4. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    If it is a long term deal i'd think they would front load it with the guaranteed money coming in the first three years and that they would factor in the decline in production as the years move forward. That way once they run him into the ground literally they can cut him and walk away or at least try trading him with out teams being scared off by the big salary number

5. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Well, it would be a deal Bell might take. Depends on how much us guaranteed. And little money the next two years to fix the D. Plus cap hell in 2020-1. Good luck. But I have my doubts.

6. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Back loaded with something reasonable as a signing bonus, then ok.

7. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    The rumor mill going into overdrive with little substance behind it. Reports on FB that Tomlin expects good news tomorrow and the are spinning it into huge contract numbers. Anyone seeing the usual suspects in Pittsburgh talking it up?

8. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Yeah the water cooler is starting to boil... I hope they make a smart move here. No need for anymore crap contracts to hamstring the team. Something about the history of his position the more than 300 touches per season and prior injuries just don't sound like a safe bet. Add in the clown act and a long term deal makes it even more Unwhoopsie proof. Oh well we'll see and as per usual root for for the best.

9. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    If a deal gets done it’s defin going to be front loaded with a ton guaranteed in the first 2 years. Maybe even the first 2 even fully guaranteed

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Because of the money figures ... you, as so called steelers fans, want bell to do bad or even get hurt?! Unbelievable! Smh

• Like Like x 1
  11. Mailman

Mailman Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2017
    Agree! Rooting for a deal to get done as I don’t think a running back by committee option is going to be very effective.If a deal does get done it will be a ton of cash guaranteed!Have no clue how much but hopefully we don’t mortgage the future.

12. dd63

dd63 Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2017
    My gut tells me that if the Steelers sign Bell to the kind of contract he is demanding, it will hamstring them for years to come. I hope I'm wrong.

• Winner Winner x 2
  13. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I don't see anybody writing that. I see intelligent fans who have legitimate concerns about the decline in Bell's game and his history of injuries and drug suspensions.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  14. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Even with the injuries and drug use ... he is considered the best at his position. He even started off slow last season and if it wasn't for him sitting out the last game of the season... he probably would've won the rushing title. He's not declining ... he's getting better. How many times does he have to show you ... intelligent fans?!

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  15. OX1947

OX1947 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2017
    It isn't a matter of the Steelers not wanting to give him what he wants. It's a matter of they can't in a hard cap era. Steelers defense is in a tail spin and they didnt really address it in the draft or in free agency. They have marginal signings on defense but the Steelers either have another idea of improving the defense from a scheme standpoint of the defense will be the same as last year.

Bell will play under the tag again and that will be it this year.

16. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I'm thinking they ease into his money the first two years and don't extend Ben after next year and then bells bigger money kicks in when Ben comes off the books and mason takes over leaving Bell and AB here to kick off the kids career at the helm. By the time mason may be due to re-sign it will be getting near the end of those twos careers here.:cool:

17. MattyMo9

MattyMo9 Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2017
    Interesting thoughts. Would be nice for Rudolph to start his career with two weapons like that. Might extend our window another couple years.

Still don’t think Bell signs unless he can give in some which it doesn’t seem like he can

18. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    They have about 8 hours before the deadline, bell was out partying with 50 cent last night was he celebrating his new deal or was he getting some rapper pointers???

19. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    I see two possible outcomes for me good and bad with him signing.

bad= we will be hamstrung for his demands

good = my bell jersey wont go to waste :cool:

20. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Just heard ESPN speculating not only will a deal not get done that Bell will probably hold out and miss the preseason and regular season games to save wear and tear . IMO the Team should just move on.

• Agree Agree x 3
  21. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    No way. I would be pissed if they ever backloaded a deal with a RB unless none of it guaranteed which Bell would never sign.

22. coldrolled

coldrolled Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2014
    Perfect.. Then trade him in February for some decent picks.

23. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...bell-steelers-arent-optimistic-about-new-deal

Pretty much what i expected. All the political words going back and forth was all for show. Neither side is going to budge from here.

Bell is going to play his last year in the Burgh on a Franchise tag, which anymore I'm fine with.

I think Bell shot himself in the foot personally by not taking a deal from the Steelers they'd almost never give to anyone else.

Personally I think we're going to be better off without the distractions and ego of Le'veon Bell. Put that money into the Offensive and Defensive lines and get some linebackers.

There's still time, but at this point I'm hoping he doesn't get this overpriced contract. We can watch his career shrink up like others that leave the Burgh looking for the grass to be greener.

At this point, it would be a delight to see. He walked away from about the best situation you could ask for in your football career.

• Agree Agree x 2
  24. SteelHaven

SteelHaven Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2012
    [​IMG]

• Winner Winner x 1
  25. Danthesteelersman

Danthesteelersman Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2018
    Id like to see an incentive type deal. Steelers give their original offer of like 12 mil a year for 4 years. 48 mil with 30 guaranteed with a chance for him y
    To make 3 mil a year more based on performance and behaviour. It's the pass blocking that we'd miss most from him. Any back can run for 3.5 YPC and catch 70 dumpoff passes if their scheme calls for it.