1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Times up Ben

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by PSYCHOSTEELER, Jun 3, 2012.

1. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    It will be difficult to determine when the Steelers should draft Ben's replacement. It will also depend on where the Steeler's draft and the QB's that are available in the draft. Indy fell in an almost perfect situation. If the Steelers have a season something similar to Indy's, I don't believe that will sit real well with many fans.

I believe that as long as the Steelers defense remains a top unit they will be a competitive team.

2. BigSteel

BigSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    I don't think BB will retire a Steeler or be around as long as most think, start looking to draft now

3. SteelByDesign

SteelByDesign Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011

Fair enough, I did it in another post and don't feel like finding it again, but other than Brees and Brady, almost ALL of the starting quarterbacks for the playoff teams this past season were 1st rounders.

Recent superbowl winners (not named Brady)...
    Eli Manning (1st)
    Aaron Rodgers (1st)
    Ben Roethlisberger (1st)
    Drew Brees (3rd)
    Peyton Manning (1st)
    Brad Johnson (9th) - shouldn't count, Tampa had an amazing defense
    Trent Dilfer (1st) - same as Brad Johnson
    Kurt Warner (undrafted)
    John Elway (1st)
    Brett Favre (2nd)
    Troy Aikman (1st)

So that's 7 of the last 12 Super Bowl winning QB's coming in round 1.

4. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    I agree 100% SBD. Brees, Brady, and Rodgers (dropping late in the first, and sitting the bench for 3 years) are rarities and not situations you can plan for or expect. You've got a franchise QB in the prime of his career. All you can do is have a well prepared back up and address your starter's replacement when the time comes, which isn't a problem our team should have to face for the next few years.

5. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    if the rookies aren't willing to do what the teams want, they will be out of football before their career gets going. alot of guys are willing to sit and learn for 2-3-4 years if thats what it takes. rodgers did it. mallet was signed and is sitting behind tom tom. he was a good qb in college. cousins got picked behind RGIII, he'll sit and learn. just because it's a second contract for a backup qb, doesn't mean he'll get a huge contract. or that he'll leave to go start for someone else. if you wait until ben is 35, you will be behind. it will also stall the play of 52 other good players on the team. the backup will need to be ready when the time comes. :cool:[/quote:30ku7hrh]

Not sure what you are getting at here Mac, why can't a rookie go play for another team that wants him as a starter when his contract is up instead of remaining to sit on the bench and wait for Ben's run to end??? :shrug: Draft too early and thats what will happen.

6. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Kind of agree with this.

I think there's a danger of presuming that once Ben's career draws to a close, there will just be a natural replacement sitting there waiting to takeover. But going out and picking a QB in the first round in the next draft guarantees nothing.

Remember with Ben, it wasn't just a case of getting a "first round" QB. It was a case of getting a QB who could energise the game, wasn't afraid to take some knocks, and was the last piece of a championship jigsaw.

So I'm of the opinion that you go for the player when the player appears. I think there was a sense in which we did this with Dennis Dixon, but way too early on in Ben's career to make that kind of move.

7. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    I started thinking...who isn't a first rounder?

Dallas - Tony Romo
    Arizona - Kevin Kolb
    Seattle - Matt Flynn (pick someone else, still not a #1 pick there)
    Saints - Drew Brees (we knew this already)
    Bills - Ryan Fitzpatrick
    Dolphins - Devlin (UDFA), Garrard (4th), Moore (UDFA), Tannehill (1st) - They may have one finally in the first.
    Patriots - Brady (we knew this already)
    Chiefs - Cassel (they have a first rounder on the team who doesn't start)
    Bengals - Dalton
    Browns - McCoy started last year....Weeden a first rounder may start this year.
    Texans - Schaub

A first rounder you left off the list is Matt Ryan.

So if you look at the playoff teams last year, what do you see. 12 Teams made the playoffs, who DIDN'T have a #1 draft pick leading the charge:

1. NE Patriots
    2. Houston Texans
    3. Cinn. Bengals
    4. NO Saints

That is your group. So about 1/3 of all teams who made the playoffs didn't have a #1 pick, but these guys aren't nobody's either. Brady, Brees, Schaub (had he been healthy), and Dalton, who was the first Pro Bowl alternate last year in the AFC. If you want an elite QB, you must do your homework. You can find them in later rounds, but you have to get lucky and do your homework. You don't just take any first round QB option, you need to find the RIGHT first round QB option or someone that has the skills you are looking for in one of the later rounds.

8. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    Todd Haley plans to protect Ben from himself, Haley started by improving the Oline in the draft, he also is designing an offense that will give ben the opportunity to get rid of the ball instead of holding on to it. TH is starting a full back in this offense for the 1st time in 5 years to improve the running game to set up the quick release pass. He also intends to throw more to the backs to keep defenses unbalanced, I think they know that ben cant keep being pounded and this new offensive scheme should do just that to extend bens career, I would rather see them wait before they start looking for another franchise QB, ben has at least 5 years left in the tank if they keep him protected....

9. JD99

JD99 Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2011
    There were simply too many other needs in this years draft anyways to draft a replacement for Ben or a back up for him. Besides, Ben isn't even close to being finished.

10. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Like I told T.E. the best case scenario is that the improvements extend Ben's career however I am a plan for the worst and hope for the best type of person. So to me they should be looking at college QB's and finding that next franchise QB or at least have some top candidates for when the time comes. I am not saying they should have addressed the position in this years draft or even next years but it should be a high priority because they are basing the future on how long many think, emphasis on think Ben can continue playing. That is basically putting a band-aid on things add to that the continuing to sign middle of the road aging back-ups who can manage a game when called upon but who are not starters any more. Plus lets face it Ben doesn't fear getting the hook so maybe some competition, real competition is a good thing force him to improve.

11. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    if the rookies aren't willing to do what the teams want, they will be out of football before their career gets going. alot of guys are willing to sit and learn for 2-3-4 years if thats what it takes. rodgers did it. mallet was signed and is sitting behind tom tom. he was a good qb in college. cousins got picked behind RGIII, he'll sit and learn. just because it's a second contract for a backup qb, doesn't mean he'll get a huge contract. or that he'll leave to go start for someone else. if you wait until ben is 35, you will be behind. it will also stall the play of 52 other good players on the team. the backup will need to be ready when the time comes. :cool:[/quote:2mch2vhi]

Not sure what you are getting at here Mac, why can't a rookie go play for another team that wants him as a starter when his contract is up instead of remaining to sit on the bench and wait for Ben's run to end??? :shrug: Draft too early and thats what will happen.[/quote:2mch2vhi]

he can but how many get that opportunity when they have done nothing up to that point? very few. if a backup sitting on the bench and learning or waiting for his turn has done nothing in his career but barks about his turn all the time, how many teams want a guy like that? teams want team players. teams want proven talent. you don't just pick up another teams longtime backup and say he's your starter with nothing to show for it but complaining about his chance.

i also said we wait until 2014 draft. ben ain't playing til he's 40, no matter how much everyone wants him to. he will be lucky to do it at 35. how many starting qb's do you know that have played that long? that let's a guy sit for 3 years and maybe he gets to start in year 4. he has no leverage to demand a huge contract up until that point. you sign him for a fair amount and move forward with a guy that now knows the system in and out. you also don't hold back other offensive players in their prime waiting for a new guy to learn on the fly. :cool:

12. So Cal Steeler

So Cal Steeler Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Ben's will be around for a long time, he's old school, like Farve. I'd wager he makes it at least five years, more like 10. I think he'll play till 40.

13. punkneater

punkneater Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2011
    This is a moot discussion. Pffft...Ben doesn't need a backup. We had perfectly capable backups last season, and when it came time to use them we didn't-- ruined our season. Ben is our work horse-- I give him 3-4 more seasons before his body gives out. I agree with a previous poster, might as well wait til we get a high draft pick, then choose a solid prospect. What we need now is a back up head coach-- someone who can make the tough decision to rest/bench Ben when he can no longer play and put in a healthy QB-- I dream.