1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

How will we juggle these guys?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by mac daddyo, Jul 10, 2018.

1. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Nix, samuels, Jesse. They are hinting at using these guys in the offense. Jesse I can see how he may be used but how about the other two. If they are on the field who isn't? How much usage will they get? :cool:

2. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Bell will suck in September, so Nix, Samuels and Connor should get some playing time.

3. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
  4. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    If Tomlin had any balls... he would sit Bell for at least 2 games until he gets in sync with the offense.

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  5. Watt Wack

Watt Wack Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2017
    This is your typical "nothingness" we get this time of year. They give Nix all kinds of kudos but he will end up with 2 rushes and one catch all season long. Cris Collinsworth accurately stated such last year.

Samuels? Again, getting a lot of gloss but there is a reason he last until the 5th round: He lacks a sudden burst, has tight hips causing him to lack sharp cuts running, he can't catch if the ball is outside his frame and he is too short to play TE. He may have been a valuable college player but I see him as an ineffective as an NFL guy. They are throwing around the term "H-back" which stands for "waste of time" in my book. Remember the various "H-back" experiments in Pgh? They have been a waste of downs. But for some reason, the Steelers thought they were worth bothering with. Who was that TE they forced on us for a few years who never produced jack crap? David Johnson?

And, put it this way: The same pass that Bell will snatch and get 9-12 yards, Samuels will either drop (he has trouble catching any passes outside his frame, while Bell has proven time and time again he usually catches anything he can touch) or only get a few yards out of since he lacks a burst and sharp cutting ability, while Bell has both. Trust me, after the coaches see Bell gets 3 x the yards Samuels can (on average) you will see Bell stay in the game while Samuels sits most downs. Bell simply is too productive to lose many touches to Samuels. Maybe Samuels makes the field on some H-back formations, IDK. But Bell will get the lion share of both rushes and going out for passes.

And by "Jesse" you mean James? He will get about the same targets as last year, unless McDonald can stay healthy, upon which he deserves more targets than JJ.

6. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    New OC that likes a FB. Of course Bell will get the lion's share. When either nix or Samuels is in the game somebody else isn't. That's all. Did you think i meant to take AB and Bell off the field? Really?:cool:

7. Watt Wack

Jul 29, 2017
    Of course not. But in order to get touches for Nix and Samuels, those will be touches Bell and AB won't get, which will usually be a bad idea. Nix had 3 carries for 0 yards last year. But now he will be in the mix? Not.

8. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    Out of his 5 touches he had 2 TDs. It's not the amount he gets but when and how he gets them. It just adds to t?he things a defense has to account for. Instead of keying on AB and Bell so heavily, showing other options to defenses actually could take some pressure off AB and Bell. We have to use some of these other options enough to make them relevant to defenses to at least consider covering. That's just smart coaching. The more we can do the more it stretches a defense.:cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Watt Wack

Jul 29, 2017
    Perhaps, but envisioning a season where Nix has more than 5-10 touches is not reality. I don't think Samuels will do a whole lot more for the reasons I mentioned. He will be the new age David Johnson.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Of course Jesse in double TEs but I can see his time being cut unless McDonald gets hurt again. We may see a touch more for Nix I think they may use a traditional "I" a bit more ,as you mentioned RFs use of a FB. I have a little more faith in Samuels and his ability and his usefulness in this offense than some others. I can see him getting some of JJs and Nixs snaps....the answer to having enough opportunities is mote sustained drives which leads to more opportunities and snaps for guys. With all our firepower we should be seeing more plays run per game and a lot less 3 and outs......there's no excuse for them....

11. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    To me, the key to utilizing each of these guys comes in packages. We should have about 10-15 plays that we KNOW each of them can execute perfectly. You need a big play....run one of these. Over the course of the year, you have 45 different plays total just from these 3 guys that get you XXX number of yards. They can run other stuff as well, but these plays need to be down and executed perfectly every time.

12. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011

We will see. Samuels was working in sets with the ones in ota's. The kid had 52 TDs in college. I just don't see the DJ comparison at all. You don't like any of our draft picks do you? I see added options for fichtner offense. There will be some differences from Haley's offense. They may not be huge to the casual fan but they will be there. We absolutely should have more plays per game running this no huddle offense. I know it will be chip Kelly's offense. :rolleyes::cool:

13. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    No, he really won't. Johnson was there primarily to be a blocker. That is not a strong point for Samuels.

I don't think the change with Nix will be more touches. I think it may be more snaps, with the idea to focus a bit more on the running game.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I love how when we are talking ball distribution the immediate go to phrase is well it will take touches or targets away from Brown and Bell even though there is zero evidence of those two getting less work when other pieces are added. Or they think running a FB dive on 2 and 1 means that Brown won't get targeted in triple coverage a few plays later. What shouldn't matter is the amount of touches everyone gets but whether it moves the chains and sustains drives that lead to red zone scoring.

Remember when Cotchery had 10 TD's? Let me tell you that wasn't because he was head and shoulders above the rest in terms of his talent it was being in the right place at the right time and Ben trusting him there. If Nix, Outlaw, Samuels , Conner or anyone else get to that level with Ben I say run it up and leave no doubt, five for fifty be damned.

• Agree Agree x 3
  15. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    I think nix will get more catches set up from play action.:cool:

16. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Lets hope so.

17. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Yeah let's sit a RB that is due a 14.5 million salary :facepalm:.

18. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Sitting Bell should sync him right up.

19. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    Don't let him here this talk about being in sync, he will want star singing group money as well as RB and WR.:smiley1::cool:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  20. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    It's all fun and games until the Steelers are 1-3 after September. Wait and see.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  21. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Bell has a sudden burst...No, He's slow...One of the slowest backs in the league...He does have great cutting ability, but he waits, hesitates then gets a few yards...look at his dismal 7 ypr and 4 ypc...Don't make him him out to be rocket man

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. SteelHaven

SteelHaven Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2012
    You have ruined the face-palm smile.

You are also replying to someone with Picard facepalm avatar. The irony.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  23. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Burst and speed over a longer distance are not the same thing. Bell is not slow. He has never been that home-run hitter who will rip off a 70-yard touchdown, but he certainly makes his share of big plays. He's not the best back in the league any more. Gurley was clearly better last season. But he's still in the top two or three.

24. Watt Wack

Jul 29, 2017
    Bell has a nice burst but no 6th gear where he can take it to the house for 80 yards. Elliott does. Samuels doesn't even have a burst. And he can't make dramatic cuts either.

25. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Bell can run you over also. Is Samuels physical?