1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Which Steelers player on defense will have a breakout season?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelersrule6, Jul 8, 2018.

1. Burns

2 vote(s)
    6.7%
  2. Davis

2 vote(s)
    6.7%
  3. Tuitt

7 vote(s)
    23.3%
  4. Dupree

5 vote(s)
    16.7%
  5. Williams

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Bostic

1 vote(s)
    3.3%
  7. Hargrave

1 vote(s)
    3.3%
  8. Burnett

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Watt

4 vote(s)
    13.3%
  10. Other

8 vote(s)
    26.7%
  1. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    For the Steelers sake, it would be best if it was Dupree it would mean he earned it by them picking up his 5th year option.

2. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I think sutton if healthy will make some noise, followed by matakevich.:cool:

3. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    I might be the only one who votes for Davis. I think the kid has a better chance than Dupree to step up.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    I think he did pretty well last year. Add Bradley teaching him and a position switch to where he should be and I think he gets even better. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    I think he played better than alot of the other ten on the field also. His mistakes will hopefully get coached out of him & turn into a plus on this year's defense.

6. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Artie Burns for me. A new teacher and his third season of playing in the league should be beneficial for him.

Perhaps we will not just see his abilities improve as a cover corner but as a run stopping corner as well overall.

7. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    I really want Bud to be the man. I like the gifts he possesses, and I don't think he is nearly as bad as he is made out to be. However, I had to go with Tuitt. I watched him in college and have seen glimpses since he has been a Steeler. I think if he can play healthy, he can be the difference maker. More importantly, if he can be dominate he can make the rest of the line better!

8. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I am going with Tuitt because he is the best player in the group. We saw it at the end of the 2016 season. We even saw flashes of it while he was playing with one arm last year. One of the primary reasons to hope the defense can be better is the hope that Heyward and Tuitt could be healthy and making plays together up front.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I was thinking the same thing with a healthy Tuitt.

10. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Poll needs a "none of the above" option.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  11. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    I think Watt could be poised to go further. He started out gang busters last year, but you could see that Rookie wall hit him mid-season on.

They played him a ton in pre-season, and the Rookies aren't used to playing a 20 game schedule plus playoffs.

I would also expect Tuitt and Hargrave to bounce back.

As far as Dupree he better put up, or he's on his last go around here, if he doesn't.

12. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I'm not sure Sutton will get enough snaps unless there's injuries, Hilton has the slot CB role for now. And the Steelers drafted two safeties, and signed one in FA.

13. Confluence

Confluence Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2017
    i want to live the dream of having two shut down corners, i went w Burns

I would like to pick more than one

14. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    I think switching sides is going to help Dupree out big time.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  15. Watt Wack

Watt Wack Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2017
    We now have 4 starters on D switching positions? This staff must think moving players around is a panacea.

16. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    Maybe 6 but Hilton was talking about them using 7 DBs on the field at once in ota's. This will be interesting to watch this year. Hilton is only signed for a year and we don't know how long haden will be kept after this year. Burns was also benched a game last year for sub par play. We go from not enough good ones to too many.:cool:

17. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Or it could all go back to the orginized chaos that they are going for. You have multiple guys that can play multiple positions and line up all over the place. QBs are going to have to decide who’s a safety, who’s and ILB, where the OLBs are lined up and are they coming or dropping.

18. M. Connors

M. Connors Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    I went with Bostic because I think he’s going to surprise some folks with his level of play this year. Shazier is impossible to replace so I think fans will collectively target that position for a huge let down. From what I’ve read he’s a high character, hard working guy that’s been bitten by the injury bug over his career. I think he comes in, stays healthy, and gels with a Williams to solidify the run defense. I’ll even say he produces a few timely splash plays as well.
    Hoping Tuitt recovers fully and has a stellar season. Hoping Hayden resembles a shut down corner. Hoping the safety play is far and away better than last year and hoping Watt doesn’t exhibit a sophomore slump. A lot of hoping and praying for this defense this year.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

As do I. :)

People need to remember that Dupree's get off and athletic abilities are crazy. His issue lies with his hand placement, hips and ankles. Granted, a side switch in itself would not be enough to warrant his improvement though.

The reason Dupree can be better will be due to the fact that, as a "force" based pass rusher, he can use his skills with more confidence and comfort on the right side than he would on the left one.

While the differences between the Left and Right tackle are essentially non existent, the core value of each remains the same; length and athleticism. Dupree's athletic abilities can match a good number of offensive tackles. Again though, the issue comes in the form of his "toolbox".

I do believe, however that, should he be healthy for a full season, Dupree will showcase strides of being a quality pass rusher. How big those strides though, are up to him.

20. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    Yup, he looked like he was either confused or he was trying to cover for someone else not being where they were supposed to be.

21. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Artie has all the "expensive remodelling materials" to succeed. He, along with the rest of the secondary, need a "professional contractor" to ensure that the "pristine renovation" comes into fruition.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  22. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
  23. Rambro

Rambro Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Tuitt. It's essential that he returns to form. When healthy he and Heyward have a chance to be a special duo.

24. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    They really need a better rotation.

Those guys are spent at the end of the season.

25. Watt Wack

Watt Wack Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2017
    Or they could run it up the gut, and say "F that F'n BS," like Fournette did.