1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Tomlin

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Disco1981, Jun 29, 2018.

1. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    If we stumble this year...As in stumble I mean like 9-7...1st round playoff loss...Worse

Is it Tomlin will be on the hotseat for the "following" year? Fired? Nothing?

2. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Big "If".

Too many factors as it stands currently. This team is way too talented to be 9-7 or worse. Assuming we account for any forthcoming injuries towards our outside linebacking corps and Ben, then the situation could get critical.

Now, a 13-3 season and not reaching the AFC Championship game and nevermind the Super Bowl not accounting for any of those factors? That is a different discussion all together.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    No. It would take a few consecutive losing seasons for Tomlin to be on the hot seat... and that probably won't happen.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    If we go 13-3 again and have another one and one playoff loss while being at full health, how would you feel going forward?

5. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

I would not question those who are not in support of Tomlin. Sure, I cannot ignore those hypothetical scenario's regarding aspects such as injuries or lack of performance from key players. Within the same vein however, Tomlin has shown he is capable of weathering such storms as he has shown throughout his tenure.

At that point, it will be fair to question whether or not he is the right coach to get us over the hump. Yes, getting to the playoffs is difficult; winning games doubly so. However, when specific incidents, such as self importance among certain players, underestimation of the opposition or aspects that have occured in game, some of that has to go to the Head Coach.

Ultimately, I believe that, should Tomlin be unable to win it all by seasons end, his "seat" will be getting quite warm. As for the likes of Butler and Porter?

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  6. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    This and that

7. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    That would make him 54-26 over 5 seasons. A 67.5% winning percentage. That is greater than Chuck Noll’s overall and Bill Cower’s overall. Not only would he not be on the hot seat, he would get a raise with his extension. And he would deserve it. And if he wasn’t offered it 31 other teams would be interviewing him.

With that said, my support for him dropped significantly before and after the Jacksonville game.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2018
  8. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    I agree. I'm looking more at butler and porter right now on the hotseat.

9. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    I'm thinking this will be a 6-10 , 7-9 season with Tomlin, I hope i'm wrong but he has had nothing but talent on his team since he has been here (...DL...BA as coaches..) AND is 1
    1 in SBls He should nvr been hired as a head coach..... I'm not gonna debate this. its JMO

10. steelcurtain74

steelcurtain74 Member

Jun 29, 2018
    With this talent, and a top notch HC, this team should be in AFC championship game EVERY year, barring multiple season ending injuries.

This team should not be getting beat twice, thumped one time at home, by a team that finished last with 3 wins the year before.

I agree with Bradshaw. Tomlin is an average coach with very little discipline.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Butler will be next to go if things get ugly or fall short... I think it'll take another 2-3 post season fails to warm Tomlins seat slightly. Unless they just fall of the tracks but even then, Bill got some leash on losing seasons granted he did not have the talent this team has had lately other than his D's but with change of things I don't know if his D's wouldve survived the flags and fines.

12. steelcurtain74

steelcurtain74 Member

Jun 29, 2018
    Totally agree. I can't stand the Patriots but Billy B is a great coach surrounded by talented coaches and wins with or without Brady.

Just in case you weren't paying attention, The Patriots are 14-6 when Brady has sat.

13. dobbler-33

Nov 13, 2011
    I agree but I will say Tomlins better than average and seems to have his team's ear but highly underperforming in the disciplinarian realm which has been the problem outside of letting the D fall apart.

He's a players coach which can be good especially with kids these days and hurt feelings and all but it's not a bad thing to be known for getting in asses when needed and I'm talking about doing such with his presumed guys and team stars... There are times to be likeable, respected, firm and fair as well as consistent with all of those traits... He has a hard time applying all of that consistently.

14. steelcurtain74

steelcurtain74 Member

Jun 29, 2018
    When you have a player (Bell) squawking about his contract two days before the Jaguars game it shows how he coddles these guys.

I can't stand Billy B, and I don't think some of these prima donnas would play for him, but IF they did, this team would have had a few more rings.

15. dobbler-33

Nov 13, 2011
    Or maybe none of that matters and in all honesty... We have a team that is not above the line IQ wise? Lot of talent and a lot of drama both minuscule and mind numbing in recent memory but always present. Hard to manage dummies even when they're future HOF candidates. IDK I think it's definitely a mixture.

16. dobbler-33

Nov 13, 2011
    The last decade belichek would've definitely had a hey day with this team under his command... However, he's closing in on the empty magic bottle as well... That teams coming unhinged and it's not far off.

17. steelcurtain74

steelcurtain74 Member

Jun 29, 2018
    Which is why I said, I don't think these PDs would last undre Billy B.

18. steelcurtain74

steelcurtain74 Member

Jun 29, 2018
    In all honesty, since Philly was from PA, and playing the Pats, I rooted for them in the SB and quite honestly, I think Pederson has got it going on and beat the Patriots with a team not even close to the talents we have.

19. steelcurtain74

steelcurtain74 Member

Jun 29, 2018
    That's enough Steeler talk for me. Back here in September.

20. dobbler-33

Nov 13, 2011
    I'm anti pats to the bone... Philly was a no brainer rooting wise hahahaha

I believe our team is highly talented but the D at the time last season couldn't hold Phillis jock.

21. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    We will anxiously await your return.

22. Fe3CCity

Fe3CCity Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2012
    Could I get one more abbreviation please?

No debate directly to you but to everyone.
    How bad was that defense about 5 years ago?

23. Fe3CCity

Fe3CCity Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2012
    The Philly team that won was VERY talented.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    A lot of talent, anything less than AFCG will be considered a BIG disappointment.

25. MattyMo9

MattyMo9 Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2017
    Well I’m not so sure 31 teams would be calling him....... Pats may pass