1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

How did Mike Hilton get good all of a sudden?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Watt Wack, Jun 21, 2018.

1. Watt Wack

Watt Wack Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2017
    https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/H/HiltMi01.htm

I didn't realize he bounced in and out of Pats and Jags for a few years. So, why did both those teams cut him and then how did he improve enough to be such a solid CB in Pgh? Was it because he found his natural position as a slot cover guy? What's the story? Glad we have him.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2018
  2. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Carnell Lake?

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  3. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    He benefits from the system. Some players play in certain systems and it never meshes. He was able to free lance quite a bit in the nickel corner spot. He was allowed to blitz certain plays, and it helped his game.
    Certain players, certain systems.

Look at Wes Welker, seemed average with Dolphins goes to Pats, great player.
    Look a Chris Hogan, seems below average will Bills, goes to Pats great player.

Chad Ochochico Johnson good player with Bungholes goes to Pats, stinks.

Don't believe me. Watch Richard Sherman this year, I'm willing to but he won't be as good with 49ers as he was with the Seahawks.
    He may still be good, but he won't be dominant.

A lot of it can be the system, and if that player fits the system.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Are you thinking Hilton is “good”?

5. Watt Wack

Jul 29, 2017
    Yes, the system has a lot to do with it, but we are used to hearing how complex our system is and hard it is to learn, yet in this case, that system made this guy?

Welker was actually always good even in Miami. I went to the home opener in 2006 and he kept the Fins in that game single handedly, most of the problem is Miami had no QB (Culpepper at the time, and not the good version). Of course he thrived in NE where they system is very good for smaller, quicker guys. They love those types of players (Welker, Hogan, Edelman, Amendola, etc.)

I agree Sherman won't be as good, but he was already in decline. Look at Josh Norman - he was a phenom in Carolina but is just a guy in DC.

But all that being said, I still don't know how Hilton benefitted THAT much from the Steeler system. It seems like maybe he matured some and got more focused, having been cut by two teams already....maybe?

6. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I have to see Hilton do it again this year before I can say he's arrived but to your question, why did James Harrison bounce around? For some people, it just takes longer.

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    still not sold on Hilton yet, or Watt, or tuitt, hargrave... not even heyward. Bostic I haven't seen yet, not sold on vince, burnett is always hurt, not sold on davis, not sold on artie, haden is old, bud is a dud.

With that being said I expect good things from our D lol

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  8. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Now you're just trying to be more negative than heinzmustard.

9. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Who?

10. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Yeah a regular saur kraut.....

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Holton has one skill that makes him aces in my book and that's gething to the QB on the blitz. For the last ten years with the exception of Troy we haven't had any DB''s that consistently get to the QB. They all run right into the block. Hilton gets there.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Concur with Blast.

Have to see more of Hilton than simply the proverbial "flash in a pan" sequence. I did like what I observed though.

However, I do believe though he is capable of doing even better thanks in part to Bradley.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    It took James Harrison how many years to " get it "...Some guys take longer than others

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Heyward was an All-Pro last year. If you aren't sold on him, there are maybe three or four players on that team you could be sold on at this time.

15. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    He didn't get much of a chance with those other teams. Hilton was good in college. He was just short so many didn't want a DB of that size. He was every bit as good as the dud we picked in the 2nd round in senquez. Hilton stayed in school. He played every DB position for ole miss. Heart!!! That's why he's good. Fearless, smart. He will be as good again bank on it.:cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Work ethic, opportunity, scheme etc... Right place at the right time and helps that he doesn't piss dirty I would guess. Hahahahaha hope he builds off of last season and wrecks house this upcoming one LETS GOOOOOOOO

17. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    Our other non-Haden CBs have been so horrid anyone competent looks good?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  18. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    One thing you can see with Tilton last year. He is a good player with good FOOTBALL instincts and awareness, you can see it on how he tackles, blitzes, and covering the right guy. He will be good this year also.

19. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    He didnt get good all of a sudden, because it was his first season in 2017 to play in regular season games, he had 64 tkls, 1 ff, 4 sacks and 2 ints, he will start more games and will get more playing time this year and will be impressive in my view....

Last edited: Jun 22, 2018
  20. Watt Wack

Jul 29, 2017
  21. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    just messing around. We need health, and should be a solid unit.

22. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    James Harrison bounced around before he applied himself as well........ just put it down as hard work

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. D0bre Shunka

D0bre Shunka Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2012
    Just glad we have him. I prolly would have signed him to a more long term deal but at least he's with us.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. Watt Wack

Jul 29, 2017
    Actually, true to James' nature, he would do things like take _himself_ off the field in practice after getting angry at himself for not knowing what he was doing. He was trying to apply himself, it just took him a while before he knew schemes, etc. JH was never a slacker; it just took him time to grasp things.

25. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011