1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Mason may be #2

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Jun 15, 2018.

1. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    That is some serious hyperbole there. Rudolph could spend the entire season as the No. 3 quarterback and still end up being a fantastic pick. They didn't draft him for his contributions as a backup now. They drafted him as a potential long-term replacement for Roethlisberger. I doubt we will be able to make any judgement either way about him this season.

Also, Rudolph could be better than Jones in practice and preseason games and still end up third string because the coaches have more faith in the veteran who has years in the system.

The new offensive coordinator thing doesn't mean that much given that he was part of the staff last season and I'm sure a lot of what they do will be similar to what the team had done under Haley.

2. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I don't think it is at all. You guys do know Jones is just a back up QB, not a starter right? Steelers had a first rd grade on Mason and he can't win the #2 spot? Best he can manage is 3rd string?

I'm sorry but if you are that bad out of the gate, your odds of being a franchise QB are pretty slim.

Don't be so sure about what Fiicth will do, he comes from a system that was more in line with what Mason is familiar with. He may open things up for Ben. We have no idea how much he will change it. Whether there is a lot or a little, there will be new plays and terminology to learn regardless.

3. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    The steal of the draft will be the #2. Jones stays, Dobbs goes.

4. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    The Patriots had this rookie in 2000. He only played in one game and threw three passes. They should have given up on him as a wasted draft pick right then and there. :eek:

There is no way we will be able to clearly say he was a wasted pick after this season. Even if he does get to play and stinks, plenty of great quarterbacks played like crap as rookies. You're assuming Rudolph will have to be bad to be No. 3 this season, but that isn't true. Maybe he will be good, but not so much better than Jones that the coaches are willing to trust a rookie over their veteran backup. Rudolph wasn't drafted for 2018. He was drafted for the long term.

The offense may change some, but not nearly as much as you are claiming. It is silly to suggest they are going to be adjusting the offense for Rudolph this year. This is still Roethlisberger's offense. They are going to do what works for him, not for a rookie who might not even take a snap this year. If they open things up, it will be for Roethlisberger, but I'm not sure that is where they are headed. They still have Bell. He's going to get the ball plenty.

5. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Brady was a 6th rd QB drafted to be a back up. They had Drew Bledsoe as the entrenched starter. Mason was drafted with the sole purpose of taking over for Ben, they had a first rd grade on him. You made my point for me though in a roundabout way. Brady started 4th on the depth chart and by seasons end was #2. I would think a guy selected with the intent of being the franchise QB should be able to do the same if he doesn't win the spot out of camp. Which I believe he will. You guys act like what Jones brings to the table can't be duplicated. He's been serviceable but easily replaced.

I never said RF was going to design the playbook for Mason. I said its what he knows. You dont think Ben would excel in that? He would love it. You don't think RF wants to put his stamp on the team? You dont get a job in the NFL if you're not an A-type personality, hes absolutely going to add and subtract things and make it his own.

6. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I like Mason, like the pick, like his approach to the game, like how he plays, like his look, like his work ethic. I think he could definitely beat out Landry in a straight up skill competition and be the number 2 QB but the kicker here is that he doesn't have to be. Jones skill set is replaceable but it doesn't need replaced. He is signed to a very affordable deal and cutting him saves a little money but not enough to say it is a must. At the end of the day if Ben goes out for extended period of time then we can start talking about who gives a better shot at winning which I'm hoping is Tomlin giving the rookie a shot but baring that I still say Ben is 1, Jones is 2 and Mason is 3 just based on how Tomlin does things.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    And if he's clearly better than Jones? Would you not play him then? My whole argument is that Jones quality of play is that of a BU QB. I think Masons will be that of a starter. Just a matter of how quickly he can become acclimated but at worst, I think he can give you what Jones does.

I think the only way Jones is on the team is if you are right and he's the entrenched number 2. If Mason wins the job, why would you keep a 1 year rental when you have another guy under contract for 3 more years on the cheap. Its not often you need to suit up the number 3. Not to mention the awkward position of demoting Jones. Was wondering if this was the source of Bens displeasure with the pick because he knew Jones would be let go, they have a close relationship. Bens job was never in jeopardy, could explain why he was upset.

8. Coastal Steeler

Coastal Steeler

Oct 16, 2011
    I was cutting my steak when I saw this. I screamed like a little girl, dropped my steak knife, almost cut my joint off. Never do that again!

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  9. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    The only concern's I have with Mason is obviously will the speed of the game be too much at the start and then just shifting protection and taking exchanges under center.

This really comes down to which way the FO wants to gamble. Keep Dobbs and make Mason the BU and gamble big that they are up to the task should Ben get hurt.

Gamble small and keep Jones at 2 make MR the three and see if anyone poaches Dobbs when you try and get him on the PS so that when Jones is a FA you still have someone working on becoming the backup.

It's really shaping up into a "he can pick up the blitz" Watson vs Fitz type of debate. Each guy shows something that is valuable but one has a better skill than the other at this time which tips the scale in their favor.

10. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Brady was just one example of my point, that you can't judge a quarterback to be a wasted pick after only one season. That is ridiculous. plenty of great quarterbacks weren't ready as rookies. Brett Favre was another one, a second-round pick who couldn't get past Chris Miller and Billy Joe Tolliver with the Falcons as a rookie. So no, I didn't make your point for you at all.

Sure, Rudolph could beat out Jones this season, but he is far from doomed if he doesn't take over the No. 2 spot as a rookie.

Going with two quarterbacks with no experience behind Roethlisberger is a terrible idea. This team isn't in rebuilding mode. They are contenders right now.

You're also kidding yourself if you think the offense will change so much to negate Jones's advantage. They aren't going to make changes just for the sake of change.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    RIT is hard to determine MRs real worth as a starter. So much of this team will be changing in the near future. The line will either be really old or very new. Bell and AB will either not be here or at the end of the road by then. Make no mistake that down the road he will not have the same supporting cast that Ben has had and it's been 10 years since the franchise has brought us a championship. All this talk about him being 2 or 3 will mean very little because father time is working against him with his supporting cast. On both sides of the ball too. What he does the next couple of years may have no barring on what he can do with the cast he is given at that point.:cool:

12. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Yeah, because every franchise QB struggles so much they can only secure 3rd string. :rolleyes:

Farve was drafted by Atlanta against Glanvilles wishes who said it would take a plane crash for Farve to get into a game. He never had a chance there. In GB he was the starter by the 4th game. Any other dumb examples youd like me to blow up? Thats twice you've proved my point. Good job. You're out of your mind if you think great QB's languish at 3rd string on the depth chart, they are pretty much great out of the gate. If Mason has it, it will be evident early and will be #2.

You have no idea what Ficht will do with this offense, stop acting like you do. He can make wholesale changes or he may just tweak it. Either way, Jones will have some new things to learn too. Not a difficult concept to grasp.

13. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    FYI: Roethlisberger would have been #3 if Batch wasn't injured in the offseason in '04. Ben only had Brian St. Pierre who had no staring experience to beat out for #2. IIRC... Ben didn't really "light it up" in preseason of '04. It's not the end of the world if Rudolph is #3 behind Jones.

14. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    It took 2 years before cousins got a start with the skins, and he was benched after 5 starts:

The Redskins reportedly wanted a second-round pick in exchange for Cousins before the 2014 NFL draft, but no such offer came. Cousins began the 2014 season as the No. 2 quarterback on the depth chart but was thrust into action after Griffin injured his ankle in Week 2. He started the next five games before being benched for Colt McCoy at halftime in Week 7 and didn’t play another down that season.

15. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    He never would have been there for the whole year, his 22 million contract alone would have made a difference. Ben probably would have started some point that year regardless of Maddox getting hurt. Its why he was drafted.

Anyway, my argument isn't that if Mason starts out as 3rd string it's a wasted pick, its that if he can't take the #2 position before the end of the year, he won't be destined for greatness. Doesn't mean it can't happen, I'll help Scribe out with a good example, Warner. He couldn't even secure a 3rd string job. But exceptions don't make the norm.

16. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    Roethlisberger was drafted at #11 in the first round. Rudolph was drafted in the 3rd round. Apples and oranges. I find it very odd that the expectations (from most Steelers fans) for Rudolph are the same as Roethlisberger. It's not fair to Rudolph. He shouldn't be expected to post a 13-1 record in his rookie year/first year starting. Ben was an anomaly. A damn good anomaly as a rookie. Lightning will not strike twice. See Bradshaw's rookie year.... he didn't set the world on fire by any stretch of the imagination.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2018
  17. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    You brought up Ben not me.

You're not understanding the argument. QBs that have the IT factor is usually apparent from early on.

18. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    Well recently it's not been the case. Wentz was an exception. He played well out of the gate. Luck was good in his first year. Russell Wilson was good. Goff didn't do much his rookie year, but played well in his 2nd year. OK.. so Luck, Wilson and Wentz had the "it" factor you are referring to... right out of the gate. Garrapolo? He's been around for a while but there's not enough tape on him yet.

19. coldrolled

coldrolled Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2014
    About 2 months.

20. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    First of all, none of those guys languished as a 3rd string QB on the depth chart. Secondly, 3 of your 4 examples prove my point.

21. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    The circumstances are totally different and none of those QBs were playing behind a HOF QB and backup QB who has game experience. Luck was drafted after Peyton Manning left. Russell Wilson beat out Matt Flynn. Carson Wentz (1st round pick) replaced Sam Bradford after he left.

22. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Do you think they would have under different circumstances?

Besides, you're muddying the waters by mixing arguments.

The point is, its evident early with the great ones. If Mason has it, he'll beat Jones out for #2.

If he sits on the depth chart at 3 for the whole season, Im not holding my breath for him to be the answer to Ben.

23. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    Fair enough. Rudolph will get plenty of snaps in preseason to prove himself. Jones will get to go with the #1's on the depth chart which will give him an advantage. I'd be surprised if Ben played more than 1 drive in the 3rd game. Rudolph will likely be playing with 2's, 3's and guys who will be selling insurance after August.

24. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    Is this point of view just for MR replacing Ben or for the team in general? Because it wouldn't be consistent with your stated views on Dobbs (languishing at 3rd all season) over Jones for the coming season.

25. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Neither is a dumb example. Please stop claiming victories that didn't happen. I really expected better in terms of rhetorical tactics from you.

You actually just helped my point regarding Favre. He didn't get a shot as a rookie. We couldn't judge him based on that season. And that could absolutely happen to Rudolph, with the Steelers trusting the veteran to be their No. 2. Hell, who knows if either guy will get any significant time behind Roethlisberger?

There is no way the offense is going to change that much. You're deluding yourself on that one. Jones has NFL experience. That is an advantage. He knows Fichtner. That is an advantage. The coaches know what he can do. That is an advantage.

Plenty of quarterbacks need time before they are ready. Rudolph may not even get a shot to be more than No. 3 this season. It is foolish to claim he would be a wasted pick based solely on his rookie year. You should know better.