1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you remember how insane the end of this game was?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Watt Wack, Jun 14, 2018.

1. Watt Wack

Watt Wack Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2017

I remember heading to the bathroom after the interception of Landry Jones (obviously thinking the game was over, with Cinci with the ball and under 2 min left) and the wife yells out, "They fumbled the ball." I said, "no way" and came back into the room.

Next thing I know, Ben comes back in. It still looked 98% bleak.

Then the Burfict flag, followed by the Pacman flag, and boom, we ended the Bungles season again, just like that. What an improbable - nearly impossible - win. I loved seeing how suicidally depressed Bengal fan was.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  2. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    That was a double bonus. We got to enjoy a Steelers win and we got to enjoy Cinci not only loosing but loosing like a train wreck.

And Bird$#|¥ is still there.

3. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    It didn't mean much in the long run. Steelers didn't have AB or Bell vs. Broncos the next week. They were pretty much "dead in the water" thanks to Burfict. Injuries and blatant thuggery from the Bengals killed a promising, potential Super Bowl season. If it weren't for Bryant... the Steelers wouldn't have been competitive vs. Broncos. Ben was playing on one leg.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    And the worse thing was... we were still in the game - somehow - but for a turnover.

The injuries basically knocked us out, but it would have been hilarious if we’d won the super bowl just to see the entire city of Cincinnati explode with rage.

5. Watt Wack

Jul 29, 2017
    In the overall big picture, it didn't mean much, i.e. we won no rings. But it was still very satisfying at the time, and for 1 week afterwards. I mean, come on, the fans cheered when Ben left the field/sidelines. And for us to get the ball back when it seemed hopeless , have Ben come back in...that was fun, and while we take playoffs and wins for granted, can you imagine how gratifying a win like that, vs. a div. rival would be to fan bases like the Browns, Jets, Bills, Fins - probably most fan bases. They haven't had a win like that in ages. It was still quite fun even though our run ended there, and it felt good knowing how hurt Bengal fan was, especially after them cheering for Ben's injury. Those hillbillies deserved the pain.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    Even if by some miracle the Steelers pulled that game out vs. Broncos... the season would have ended the next week in Foxboro. The damn Patriots probably would have won the Super Bowl (they would now have 6 and tied the Steelers), because Newton would have choked even worse vs. Patriots than he did vs. Broncos. The Broncos had the defense to stop Brady. The Steelers did not... and still don't.

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    This is one of many of a collection of videos that I have bookmarked when I need some quality amusement. :)

• Like Like x 1
  8. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    What a gift, You talk about undisciplined boneheads I would say Cincy has everybody beat.

9. Watt Wack

Jul 29, 2017
    Not just one gift, but two. The Pacman penalty made the kick a chip shot.

10. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Craziest game was that Browns Playoff Game where we made that improbable comeback with Tommy Gun.

At the end of the game I thought I was dreaming.

11. Steelers89

Steelers89 Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2016

Yep. Followed up by that " Roughing" the kicker fiasco a week later in Tennesse. Still pissed over that.

12. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Doesn't top the Bengals game, IMO. I say that because we more or less lost the Bengals game. It was over...until a fumble gave us a chance, although it was still slim to none. Then all of a sudden the Bengals acted like the Bengals, and they literally gave us the W.

A huge comeback is special of course, but that Bengals game wasn't a huge comeback, it was them absolutely self-destructing. It does nothing to make me feel great about that team of ours, but it felt so good watching that **** hole franchise give a playoff game away. There's not many more satisfying feelings on earth.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. steel_upper_lip

steel_upper_lip Well-Known Member

May 16, 2018
    That still is my favourite 2 min of NFL. A question for you guys I have often wondered about: if Burfict hadn’t been touched when he ran off down the tunnel with half of his team mates, what would have followed next?

Would the bengals have retained possession but start from the locker room?

14. Watt Wack

Jul 29, 2017
    And watching the same redneck hillbillies who were cheering when Ben got hurt, suffer the most painful loss one can fathom, plus it was a playoff game making it far worse, especially considering this era of Bengals have never won a single playoff game, and this was their chance. It was a done deal. It was over. They beat their hated Steelers team to knock them out of the playoffs and for them to finally win a playoff game. It was over....but it wasn't.

15. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    He maybe a bigger bonehead than Burfect

16. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    That game is easily one of the top-3 non-Super Bowl playoff wins in Steelers history. I thought the Steelers were done at the beginning of the 4th quarter. It's ironic that WR Quincy Morgan could have iced the game with a perfectly thrown pass by Holcolmb.... but he dropped it! And then Morgan ended being a good KR for the Steelers years later and was on the SBXL team.

And Bruce Arians was the Browns O-coordinator in 2002.

• Like Like x 1
  17. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    I can't say I consider every season without a SB win a bust, however if categorized by playoff runs I would have to say that was a very successful season lol.

Killing their hopes for a playoff drought win by a stupid player is priceless.

not sad at all for us being banged up vs broncos, like HM said it's a moot point playing in fox.

sorry cincy haha

18. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    I sat there at the end of the game with my jaw basically on the floor and the wife asked me what was wrong?

My reply was "I'm not sure exactly what the hell just happened".

Last edited: Jun 18, 2018
  19. BobbyBiz

BobbyBiz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    "This has got to go down as one of the worst defeats.....ever."

:roflmao:

20. Watt Wack

Jul 29, 2017
    As time passes, we are going to fondly remember how awesome this team was at coming back late in games to steal wins. I don't think we fully appreciate it in the present, but we will. How many times does this team march down the field and kick a winning FG with less than a minute to play? It seems unfair and if you were able to do this consistently on Madden, you'd complain it wasn't realistic.

21. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    I was so mad that game. My family left the room because I became unbearable...then it happened! My family thought I was finally going off the deep end when that game ended. They thought the old man finally lost his marbles. That may be true, BUT on that particular day the football gods smiled on our team, OR the Bengals were who we think they are?

22. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Crazy part is we almost beat the Peyton Manning led Super Bowl winning Broncos with no Bell, no AB the following week. Everything was going great until Toussiant fumbled the ball.

Bad part was no way we would of beat Brady and the Pats in Foxboro. Wouldn't have happened, even if AB would of returned, it just wouldn't happen, then the Pats would of been back in the Super Bowl that year too.

• Agree Agree x 2
  23. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    That fumble was identical in circumstance to the fumble Mendenhall had in SBXLV. Unbelievably bad timing.

24. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Sadly Toussaint wasn't playing bad either, he also was solid against the Bengals the previous week. He has never seemed the same since, but he has bounced on and off the roster many a time the last 3 years, so Tomlin and Colbert seem to see something in him. Not sure what at this point.

25. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Yep, as opposed to those well timed fumbles.