1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Mason may be #2

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Jun 15, 2018.

1. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Exactly

2. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    The media is overreacting Mason hasn't thrown against a real NFL defense yet, but he looks good throwing in shorts and no contact big deal.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Two things going on here.

1). Every few years the Stillers draft 'amazing' 1st round talent that fell to them in later rounds, you know guys like Bryant, Shamarko, Sean Spence and Limas Sweed. The reindeer is the latest example.

2) The long yinzer history of falling for the backup QB over the starter - which has been latent the last decade with Ben- is now starting to emerge. It will take a while to take hold, but a clubhouse favorite has been identified.

Go 9-7 and miss the playoffs? Whoo-hoo! Let the debate begin!

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Fe3CCity

Fe3CCity Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2012
    While they are not at game speed there is some validity to OTAs.
    How's the ball placement?
    When does he release? Top of the route?
    Arm strength and accuracy.
    Footwork. The biggest hinder of qb talent, how does that look? Does he take an awkward half step?
    How's the rhythm?
    How quick is the release?

Yes it's not game speed and all those things can break down in a game. However, with a solid foundation, that apparently has been seen, the mental aspect is the biggest.

Can I make decisive decisions? The biggest thing, I beleive, a QB must overcome.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Maybe but I'm not sure Ben would be interested in moving his family at that point in his life and career.

Depends how bitter he is. If he did play for someone else, it would have to be a win now team.

6. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I think his wife pulls rank at that point and says you are done. His kids are a couple of years older by then and his closest team mates are gone. The new players are a different era than Ben age wise and he probably doesn't have the same need or want to facilitate new bonds with players from a new team and of a much different age.:cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Daddymac10

Daddymac10 Well-Known Member

May 1, 2015
    Traditionally Pittsburgh has always been hard on QBs. Wait until Rudolph throw a few picks before the hate start. I think it's gonna take him a while to settle in...

8. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    A franchise QB should be able to beat out Jones for #2, A very strong supporting offense is in place. Can Rudolph deliver?

9. Confluence

Confluence Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2017
    in shorts the players especially dbs look small with skinny legs and you pray they get through the season uninjured (Haden and the rest), thats really what I get out of OTAs is how fragile the players look, but positive words about Mason is good a lot better than the downer stuff about guys sitting out like Dupree and burnett

10. GoalLine

GoalLine

Oct 16, 2011
  11. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    Time for another earth-shattering prediction...if Rudolph plays better than Jones but not as well as Ben, he will be the #2. All you gamblers can bank on it!

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  12. Confluence

Jan 22, 2017
    just read another article about how the QB competition this preseason will be between Dobbs and Jones and which one will make the final roster, Mason has surpassed my expectations, I posted before that he wld be behind Landry this year, now it is looking like Mason #2, and me having new found respect for the OSU program

13. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    It's not going to be a competition though. It will be more of a showcase for Dobbs. it will be can he put enough on tape to show that the front office should choose him over an established backup QB they have invested 5 years developing and feel comfortable about that choice. I'm pretty sure of the 4 on the roster, Ben ND Landry will get the least amount of preseason work.

14. MeanJoeBlue

MeanJoeBlue Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2013
    But how do you judge "plays better"? (I don't have an answer, just pointing out that it is not so simple.)

Suppose Rudolph makes more big plays, but Landry makes fewer mistakes?
    Or Rudolph is successful, but with only a fraction of the playbook being run?
    What if Rudolph looks good against other team's 2nd and 3rd defenses, LJ looks average but against other team's 1s?

It's ancient history, but I still think about the 2015 Cardinals game. With a minute remaining in the first half, Vick had a total of -1 yards passing. The Steelers were down a TD after halftime, but Tomlin kept Vick in, probably because he was afraid that the inexperienced LJ would somehow play worse than Vick (although I don't see how).

15. Confluence

Jan 22, 2017
  16. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Rudolph......if his throws are right...sure can make MT and KC look bright....

• Like Like x 1
  17. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    I don't know. I didn't think I would be taken that literal.

18. Confluence

Jan 22, 2017
    this game in Pittsburgh helped get the word out to MT and KC

19. Mailman

Mailman Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2017
    I love the pick at 76 in the draft as I thought it was the Steelers best value pick on where they got him but I agreee with Steelers rule6!How can anyone say he’s number 2 based on just letting it rip against no real pressure and NFL game like experience!He will be number 2 soon enough but let’s not gef crazy yet!!!

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    But the talk of the other guys like matakevich, Adams, Samuels, Conner, Washington and how they are taking to the new coaching and the difference the players are talking about is all positive.:cool:

21. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    If Mason can't take the #2 spot this year and is regulated to 3rd string, it was a wasted pick.

Its funny the abuse Jones takes around her and now he's an untouchable backup.

• Agree Agree x 2
  22. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    He isn't an untouchable backup but in the scheme of things he is the known quantity behind Ben. I am really liking all the stuff I'm hearing about Mason however realistically we don't want to see anything from him this year because that means some bad has happened to Ben. The pecking order for 2 or 3 really will be decided by what ever moves Tomlin from week to week. I still think the safe bet is the guy they spent 5 years turning into a quality backup will be the backup with Mason as the understudy hopefully with a year of NFL experience come next season.

23. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    Did anyone catch Missi Matthews interview with OSU's head coach? He said he had talked to Mason and James after the draft when they had been in Pitt for awhile. They were rooming together and on a Friday night both were in with James talking to one of his brothers and Mason studying the playbook. He was saying just how amazing it is to see two young men in on a Friday night. The rest of the interview was good stuff to how he goes through his progressions, will work to learn taking snaps under center, is really a student of the game. Very encouraging stuff.

24. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    I think the evolution of Dobbs will make a difference in the overall competition of the backup group. If he has improved enough it could make quite a difference who they keep. It doesn't mean any of them are bad backups but all of them are good enough to play the role. LJ though is on a one year rental and will cost more down the road. If Dobbs improves he could very well be the guy kept as insurance to mason as he plays and learns. He may be on that short leash with Dobbs as an option sine he improved as they see fit. It doesn't mean mason has failed but we have an option while he learns if it looks as he is overwhelmed at first. If Dobbs doesn't improve enough, LJ will be kept.:cool:

25. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I just don't see it Thorn. If they are looking to Mason to succeed Ben and he can't wrestle the backup job from Jones, that doesn't bode well for him. I like the job Jones has done but I don't see how Mason can't give you the same thing.

They have a new OC now too, so that also hampers Jones biggest advantage, knowing the playbook. Who knows how much that will be changed.

• Agree Agree x 1