1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Jon Bostic won't make the 53 man Roster.

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by cajunyankee, Jun 12, 2018.

1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Ah now I understand, you're a Dirty Red fan! Haha.

Well, may the best man win :drinks:

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. MeanJoeBlue

MeanJoeBlue Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2013
    The Rams won their division, and were the highest scoring team in the NFL.
    Why are you saying that a loss to them is something bad?

(And the Niners were not a 5 win team.
    You are thinking of the consecutive 5 wins they put together to end the season, after they acquired Garoppolo. We won't know until the season is underway if that was a fluke, or if they were a very different team by the time the Jags played them.)

Patriots lost to an lowly Dolphins team, and only put up 19 against a sub par TB defense.
    By your reasoning, they weren't a juggernaut either.

(I don't think that Jacksonville is a juggernaut, but that doesn't mean they were chopped liver.
    Compared to the Steelers, they had 0.5 yards less per passing attempt, but that was offset by 0.5 yards more per rushing attempt.)

3. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Agreed. They aren't chopped lover. If that team had a QB, they'd be damn near unstoppable.

4. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    John Bobbitt?

• Hilarious Hilarious x 4
  5. Daddymac10

Daddymac10 Well-Known Member

May 1, 2015
    Jon Bostic is easily our best ILB, LJ Fort will not make the team...

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  6. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    Your statement is as crazy as mine...... Just polar opposite

Cajun

7. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    So how's Bostic's chances looking? Matakevich?

8. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Bostic will make the 53... He's no world beater but offers more. As much as I really like Red I don't see the need for his services. He just don't have it here in my opinion. I envisioned red as a role player like Hoke was who could be depended on in a give a guy some rest rotation or actually fill in serviceably if needed. I don't see it in him... The desire is there but he's a little light in the tool bag.

I feel the same about chick as well. Great guys to root for but there's others with a lot more upside this time around that I think will make a much bigger impact if kept.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Steelers304

Steelers304 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2015
    You have to get bostic in over matakevich. there's a million hardo special teamers you can get off the scrap heap if that's the only thing 44 brings to the table

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    This I can agree with.

11. DSteelerCT

DSteelerCT Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2011
    Can't think of many examples of Tomlin cutting the incumbent for a new guy. Agree with your thoughts, but I can't see Red getting cut in favor of Thomas. Just not in Tomlin's DNA.

12. Daddymac10

Daddymac10 Well-Known Member

May 1, 2015
    Jon Bostic is a lock to start, guaranteed. If anybody get cut it will be "dirty red"....

My preference:
    Vince Williams
    Jon Bostic
    L.J. Fort
    Mathhew Thomas

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    I've been wondering when You were going to re-visit this thread...... You're a week earlier than I was thinking!!!

Bostic has played better than I thought but still not good enough .... Dirty Red has underperformed keeping him and Bostic on even playing field. Im Still a red fan!!!

LJ Fort has outplayed both

Cajun

14. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I'm not sure anything has been answered yet about this defense. We have a lot of movement of players and no real definite answer as to who is a starter and what type of defense we will play. Maybe that is the plan. Confuse us and confuse them. Try to game plan against that. :cool:

15. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Bostic will start AND play well imo

16. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Unless he is covering a tight end,. the Steelers haven't figured out how to cover them yet.

• Agree Agree x 3
  17. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    7C3622E4-4148-4595-986E-F9297CAFD07A.jpeg

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  18. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Bostic was always going to start over Matakevich. Saturday's performance just showed us why that was going to happen. He is a sure tackler who has shown the ability to grasp defensive schemes well enough to be a signal-caller at the NFL level, and unlike Matakevich, he is athletic enough to play the position.

Thomas is ahead of Matakevich on the depth chart. Saturday's game also showed that. He made more plays on special teams, too. As I wrote elsewhere, maybe Matakevich makes it ahead of Fort, but he's not starting. The claim that Bostic wouldn't make the 53-man roster was always ridiculous.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. steel_ben7

steel_ben7 Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2015
    I think the Steelers still would be smart to see who gets cut this week as far as middle linebackers are concerned. Maybe they can get lucky like last year and not necessarily stumble across somebody as good as Joe Haden was last season when he got let go, but at least somebody that might be a better option to start over guys like Bostic or Matakevich at ILB. Navarro Bowman as well is still unsigned and a free agent as well. Myself personally I just do not feel comfortable with someone like Bostic playing every down on this defense. I think they need to try to get better if they get an opportunity this week after other teams make their cuts.

20. TheTerribleOwl

TheTerribleOwl Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2017
    I'm not sure any of the ILBers are going to be out there for all three downs, although it sounds like they might be giving the green dot to Vince so maybe he will.

21. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    Hes really not good but tbh who can he be replaced with that is that much better? Hes a huge liability in the passing game but is a good tackler and sufficient run stopper. But this is why ne is who they are. They will cut a player in a minute no matter what they gave up for him or what they paid they get over mistakes and move on.

22. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    LJ Fort has had a great camp and has played decently in the pre-season games.

If I'm between LJ Fort and a Dirty Red cut. I would cut Dirty Red.

But, I really think both make the roster and Thomas does as well. But good chances you could see either LJ Fort or Dirty Red inactive on a game day as one of 5 who won't dress.

23. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    How did their offense due the week before we played them? Also, we had 2 weeks to prep and were down 21 in the 1st qtr (at home). That's saying something that fairly obvious.