1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Reasons why NFL star players like Bell and Julio jones want $

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Diamond, Jun 17, 2018.

1. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
  2. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Not surprised.

Article 46 is to blame of all of this; the perpetual cycle of "millionaires vs. billionaires" the end result.

I would be shocked if higher rates of pay is not on the agenda come the next CBA.

3. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Well guess what boys, there are a lot of other players that make you guys stars that don't make near the money you guys think you should get. Quit being so greedy and spread the wealth with the guys that made you famous.:cool:

• Agree Agree x 4
  4. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Memo to players: STFU and play. No one wants to here about you whining about money with the salaries you make. Especially from you players who have a contract and want it ripped up because someone else singed a deal worth more. Get the hell out of here with that garbage. Honor your contract.

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. Diamond

May 26, 2012
    Well, like Julio, he's jealous of AB making 6M more a year than he does, but he has 3 years left on his contract, but he still wants a new deal and he intends to get it, and probably will....

6. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    What a crock of :bscow:

7. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Only if Atlanta are suckers. Unfortunately for Julio, they can point to how Brown was in the same boat and had to wait.

Once again, Steelers provide the right model to operate by.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Diamond

May 26, 2012
    The falcons dont have a lot of cap to play with to give him a big deal according to yesterdays cap list they are ranked 27 in cap space, we are ranked pretty bad ourselves at 29 in cap space...

http://nfltraderumors.co/nfl-cap-space-1/

9. Watt Wack

Watt Wack Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2017
    I mostly agree with this, but there are _some_ instances where seeking a new contract is appropriate. Let's say you are a mid-round pick, say a QB. But you Tom Brady it, and become a top 5 QB in the league and win a Super Bowl. I don't think anyone thinks you should have to finish a 5-year contract only making $400k a year. But, if you follow the letter of the law, one could say, "You signed that contract, you should honor it." That just doesn't seem appropriate.

Also, if you are going to fully apply the "You signed it, you should honor it" mandate, why don't teams have to abide by that in the NFL (they do in hoops and baseball)? If a player signs a big deal but doesn't perform well, they are asked to do a new deal all the time, or get cut outright. What happened to "honor you contract" on the team's end?

I think the mindset should be "do the appropriate thing." If a player wants a new deal just because someone playing his position signed a more recent deal (and it's higher for that reason alone) then that is NOT appropriate. Look at all the QBs making more than Rogers, Brady and Ben right now. It's just because they signed a deal more recently. Does anyone really think Cousins, Ryan, Alex Smith, Luck, Stafford et al are better QBs than Rogers, Brady and Ben?

10. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    You can't guarantee contracts in the NFL, the sport is a different beast than other sports. Thats why they have player bonuses, they don't have to give those back when they are cut.

As for your SB example, Tom Brady did win a SB and become a top QB right away. What were the results of that? I really don't recall what happened but I don't think his deal was reworked.

11. Watt Wack

Watt Wack Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2017
    I don't know when they re-did his deal, but I think it's safe to say he got a new one before his rookie contract expired, right?

12. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Has had a few reworked deals after signing new deals. One thing I'll say about that punk is he has always tried to be fair with his contract in a team friendly sense to keep money moving to other parts per se... But he does have a wife who has largely out earned him so maybe that's quelled his thirst to ***** like others have although like it or not, he's ultimately earned that right.

13. dobbler-33

Nov 13, 2011
    The fact that this is a team sport is lost on a lot of these "stars" athletes sport wide. It's all about their brand and getting mines... Feeling treated unfairly if another team pays their star morewhich changes the presumed market at the spot... Which in their mindset equates to being embarrassed in front of friends fam society and peers I guess.

It's ridiculous top to bottom. Every position is reliant on another so on and so forth. A man wants 17 million a year to run a ball... A QB wants 20 mil per year... They lose the players on the line who only asked for 6-7 per year and a lot of the time less but are the folks that buy time, open holes, keep people clean... You know do the dirty work and pave the way. Their all paid an asinine amount period compared to the real world folks that supply the audience/demand for their production. I get wanting more when you've earned it but they need to understand that they're only going as far as the team takes them.

Me me me and more me

• Like Like x 1
  14. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Their big gripe is that the owners are making tons of money. It's a stupid argument. If you want make all the profits start your own company.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. dobbler-33

Nov 13, 2011
    That's the thing about all of it. These guys and their fan boys in society all cry foul about how much revenue is being generated in compared to what they make. It's all relative to what's going on/has been going on in society the past few generations. The old days of folks changing tires at chevron stations vs folks working chevron leases in the field vs folks working at the chevron owned refineries vs the CEO of chevron. Back then folks bitched about company profits and their back breaking work vs their place on the pay scale (like every one of us have done at some point in time) but understood the economics of it all as well as their place in the grand scheme of things... Ultimately aspiring to climb the ladder of opportunities afforded in many cases and carving out their own own niche in accordance within their capabilities.

Being a bad ass WR or QB or RB or LB or CB etc... Does not put you at ownership level. However, being the athlete that uses his talent and damn good money to better your position within the league or other doors that having that face affords to be opened can catapult you to a point where yeah you can eat at the big dogs table. Many have done and many more will and in most cases will be the folks that we didn't read about with the headlines "gotta get mines or gotta pump my brand or business is booming)

Sports are so ****ed up these days it's not even funny. People are actually paid to roam elementary school yards to find the next big thing and treat these kids with velvet mittens and screw up any tough love growing up they could use and create boatloads of non grounded me me pussies in the process in many cases sport wide. It's sad and it appears to be infecting damn near every avenue imagineable in the real world.

Instead of being humble and grateful for opportunities to shoot for the moon, a lot of these folks (kids in general) demand the moon for having a good outing that in all reality did not accomplish jack **** across any meaningful board and ultimately its someone else's fault.

• Like Like x 2
  16. funkysteelersfan

funkysteelersfan Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2011
    I would agree with this statement if all NFL contracts were fully guaranteed like MLB and NBA. I have a hard time taking the side of billionaire NFL owners who cut a guy on a high paying contract after a bad year but don’t want to renegotiate after a player out performs his present deal.

17. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Except that doesn't happen. No one is cutting AB if he has a bad season this year. You get cut after a steady decline in play or due to injury or because of salary cap problems.

Can't have guarantee contracts in the NFL but they do have signing bonuses they get to keep.

18. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Yeah and what about when they restructure these players contracts and turn it into an upfront bonus?

• Like Like x 1
  19. blake duerden

blake duerden Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2017
    Big Ben values record wins, not record contract https://es.pn/2LZ90BW
    via @ESPN App http://es.pn/app

Big ben sending another message and only if Bell would value a championship aswell.

20. Jares

Jares Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2016
    But why should a contract ever be completely guaranteed? Both sides are taking a risk, it only seems fair that neither side is completely on the hook if something goes wrong. Star players (and make no mistake, that's who this is really about) are getting paid a crap ton of money regardless. Look at the money Bell is complaining about. What person living in the real world would ever complain about a salary like that. Even if it is only one year that's still more money than most people will ever make in their lifetimes. Think about that when they complain about long-term security. I remember thinking the same thing when Von Miller (I think) turned down a contract that would have made him the league's highest paid player anyway for yet more money. What kind of thought process leads to that? Everyday working-class people just can't wrap their heads around it.

Only once have I supported an athlete holding out for more money and that was Hines Ward. He earned that in my eyes and Bell isn't there yet. AB has also earned some respect from me for continuing to play at a high level after getting the big contract. Not many players do that; they kind of disappear and that's why I think many owners are gun-shy. Right now, Bell, to me, just gives off an air of being all about the paycheck and not about the team and winning. He reminds me of that scene in The Replacements when the striking player asks if the newsperson knows the cost of insurance on a Ferrari. I hope I am wrong.

21. Fe3CCity

Fe3CCity Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2012
    Be me
    Not know what it means to have money in my pocket.
    Be good a sports.
    Hear I can make money.
    Get an education from a good school.
    What!?!?! I'm the first in the family too do that!
    Turn 21.
    Get the right to be purchased.
    That's cool I'll make money.
    Work hard, get money, be the best.
    Someone that doesn't do their job as good as me gets a raise.
    Huh?!
    That's cool I'll work hard my review is coming up soon.
    Ask, because I'm the best, for the most because my job has a very short shelf life.

No knock on any profession but salary is market based. We can ***** about the amount but the debated dollar is dictated by our fandom.

22. Mailman

Mailman Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2017
    Actually I think the NFL has it right over both MLB and the NBA.You get paid for your play and if you are not living up to your contract you could be cut!I’m not talking about elite players like Antonio who could have one off year either.In the MLB you have players like Bobby Bonilla who are still getting paid many years after they retire.Good for him and his agent working out that deal but I like the NFL’s contract structure better.

23. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    And that is what they get in exchange for the fact they can be cut. How much of the world gets this? And they still complain they want more.

• Like Like x 1
  24. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Julio Jones needs to worry about finding the end zone, He had about 2 Tds last year I believe.

25. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Julio 3 Antonio 9