1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Did butler really say this

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by mac daddyo, Jun 15, 2018.

1. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Dupree won't be as useless rushing from the right side.

Really?

What a ringing endorsement from our DC. You are the guy playing a useless player. You are the guy coaching him. You are the guy that takes a whole season to make even a minor change to a defense. I could go on but wow. FKBHTBNATOAPWH.:cool:

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    More info:

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2018/0...e-wont-be-as-useless-rushing-from-right-side/

Interesting point that Dupree only went on the left because of Jarvis Jones.

Not sure if this has been posted before, but it's an interesting write up on how Dupree's role may be affecting perception of his ability:
    http://www.steelcityunderground.com...e-changed-in-keith-butlers-defensive-schemes/

I don't think he's the finished product by far, and had some shocking games last year, but some of the flak he's getting during this off-season is a little unbalanced imo.

4. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    He has been quite useless so far. Injuries, ghost injuries, whatever. He best put it all together. They switched sides so he can stop being useless :lolol:

And TJ Watt is a more disciplined player. No kidding.

It's hard for ne to conceive that our Defensive Coordinator actually said that unless he was trying to plant a seed in Dupree's head.

If he fails to put it all together they can pull the option. Hopefully he doesn't get another ghost injury and they will be on the hook with a subpar player. Sorry I wasn't in favor of the option and with his body of work (or lack their of) I really don't see his all of a sudden becoming this beast of a player.

• Agree Agree x 4
  5. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Dud Dupree is done. It's likely his shoulder will hamper his progress again. It's a shame because he could've been the next Jason Worilds lol.

6. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Worilds > Dupree

If we still had Worilds... Jarvis and Bud probably wouldn't have been drafted and we would have "real" CBs... to go with Haden.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Alludes to what I stated in another thread.

Fundementals vs. Scheme.

This applies to all parties involved. Butler is no different. Why Bud has been a LOLB since 2016 as opposed to ROLB still baffles me to this day.

Butler was thinking too much on scheme and not enough on fundamentals; just as I feared. Fundementals first Butler. KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid) second and add the scheme third. Very intriguing this is still an issue.

Should this continue for the 2018 season, nevermind Porter. I think it will be fair to question Butler's abilities should the conclusion of Bud Dupree be similar to what many of us observed last season.

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Butler could very well be on the hot seat. Don't forget, Tomlin took over some on the defensive side of the ball last year. Was that because Butler wasn't doing a good job or just because Tomlin wanted to have more input?

Not sure how much this will help Bud but should improve Watts production even more. He's no longer going up against the better tackle.

9. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    Even with context...

[​IMG]

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  10. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011

:roflmao:

I wanted to come in here and defend him, I had nothing, couldn't do it.

11. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    It's a weak excuse for both parties involved.....wow imagine how many sacks Von Miller would have rushing from the right side...there's always a excuse for Bud and now I fear his shoulder will be yet another....

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

I was pondering this too initially after that report surfaced a couple of months back.

Keith Butler really is an enigma right now. Yes, he has had his successes but many of those successes seem predicated more on the schematics than the fundamentals.

If Butler is incapble of instituting the fundamentals more aggressively this time around, he could very well be next on his way out the door; Porter no less more than likely.

Hopefully this re-ignites the interest to find a 4-3 Defensive Coordinator within the Steelers Organization. However, outside of someone like Lovie Smith or have a "Seattle Style" (4-3 Under) Defense like the one Gus Bradley runs. Currently though, I do not see one as it stands.

13. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Von Miller is simply a different breed of 'backer with one key assest over Dupree; agility.

Miller can bend the edge. Dupree cannot.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    It is already fair to question Butler's ability. The defense was a mess last year. They had too many communication breakdowns and never seemed to be able to adjust to what offenses were doing to them. Sure, the Shazier injury was a big part of the problem, but at least some of the blame has to fall on Butler, too.

15. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016
    Hmmm...

My skin is beginning to itch again. Correction, I believe that my proverbial senses are beginning to tingle.

16. LoneGranger

LoneGranger Well-Known Member

May 5, 2016
    Like it or not, Butler is blunt to a fault. Also very accurate relative to Dude Dupree. Left side or right side he will prove useless. He needs to hear it since I suspect he thinks he is doing just fine. OK! From the right side the quarterback can't see Dupree (just pretend) but the left tackle can see him and he knows Dupree's strength and technique is not good enough to bend him around the corner. The left tackle will do what the right tackle did … ride Dude out behind the QB and not let him get to the QB seen or unseen. Just how long will the Steelers pretend this is working? I hope not long. Give someone else a shot. One of the other linebackers must be better than Dude.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I get that ...I'm just trying to point out that if Dupree had the ability he should be good on either side and especially not "useless" no matter the side....

18. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Tom Bradley could move right into that spot, and possibly was brought in for that very case. I agreed with replacing LeBeau. It was time. Butler deserved his shot, but, his okie talk, that stupid weird smile on the sidelines, plus this latest wack interview, and adding, Tomlin taking over some of the duties maybe the position is to much for him. It wouldn't be for Bradley. Big year for Butler, the seat is red hot. And he can march out the door with Porter in tow as far as i'm concerned.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    imagine Dupree and Jarvis lol

20. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Not 7, not 8, not 9, not 10... Literally

21. Daddymac10

Daddymac10 Well-Known Member

May 1, 2015
    Got a feeling if Dupree went to the Patriots, with their mentoring & coaching history, he'd turn into a pro-bowl beast. I think he'll do well this year from the right side...

22. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    I think this defense is going to be a chess match type defense. The traditional way we used positions will not be the same and it will be this way to create confusion for offenses. Players used in different roles at different times and from different spots will be the new norm. :cool:

Last edited: Jun 22, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1
  23. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Do we really want to create confusion for the defense?

24. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011

That was supposed to be confusion for offenses.:cool:

25. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    Still, seems like the tag "useless" was put on Bud, "won`t be as useless" with the changes, LOL.