1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Steelers biggest blunder in off-season?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Watt Wack, Jun 1, 2018.

1. Daddymac10

Daddymac10 Well-Known Member

May 1, 2015
    If Jon Bostic get hurt next year for an extended time period ...we are screwed

Matakevich was very unimpressive last year ...rarely won battles

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    I'm concerned about ILB but... I like Bostic and it's clear how we plan to use some of the 17 Safeties on the active roster.

3. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    You, on the other hand, have nothing. Just when I thought you were making progress, you backslide with this mess. But hey, keep coming after me on multiple threads and maybe you'll get a legitimate point in someday.

4. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    McDonald could limit those touches, as could Samuels. I'm betting you'll see him in the slot in some of those situations that would call for four receivers in the past.

5. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    The Steelers seem to think he can be better. Part of the problem last year was that he got hurt in the same game as Shazier and never really got back to 100 percent.

6. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I agree that Samuels will get some touches this year. Just how many are yet TBD. Bell will still get some of those slot catches too. We have a lot of weapons at our disposal on offense. That's also why the thread about enough footballs to go around. :cool:

7. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017

I think they played it perfectly considering where our cap space is, etc. I attest that Bostic was a good sign considering the terms and his play. I liked how the draft played out also.

There are two veteran inside linebackers still on the market to this day that need a job.

Lawrence Timmons

Navorro Bowman

Neither one without their criticism but with solid careers at inside linebackers and to be had most likely for the veteran minimum.

8. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    Heinz, you were borderline positive in this post...now I feel strange like the universe is falling into a black hole. (However, I do agree with you. You let Bryant go you need to fill that void)

9. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Steelers have been better than any other team in the NFL at drafting and developing WRs. Steelers easily replaced Holmes, Wallace, Sanders, etc. Bryant can be replaced too.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

The contradictions continue it seems.

11. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Actually, it is the false accusations of contradictions that continue.

12. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    9CC8AA88-548C-4E39-BB58-72D91A9C200B.jpeg

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  13. steelers5859

steelers5859 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Bostic is a well-established starter and might do well for us since he is surrounded by better talent than on the Colts.

Olsavsky wasn't very good but filled in adequately and was a bridge gap for the next guy.

I am not using Harrison to justify, just using him as an example that some guys can transcend into more than what they were.

14. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    By that logic, any acquisition of a player from the scrap heap is a good one because he might be the next James Harrison.

15. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

... So they are contradictions.

Got it! Just want to be sure. :thumbs_up:

16. Watt Wack

Watt Wack Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2017
    And Ward.

17. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    You’re not very good at following logic. No wonder you get so confused. Maybe reading isn’t your strong suit?

His statements were correct. He did not remotely suggest what you did.

But, the rest of us understood that.

18. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    AV, Hubbard, Finney, Hilton, are all so called scrap heap players. That's a pretty nasty term to describe players that when put in the right situations flourish. It's not just James harrison, there are many league wide that make the jump when given the chance in the right environment.:cool:

19. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Now you aren't even trying to make sense. You're the one making accusations that are false.

I do feel bad that I haven't been able to help you overcome your issues.

20. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I understand his logic just fine. He claims that he is just bringing up Harrison as an example of a player who rose above expectations. I'm just taking his argument to the natural conclusion, which is that Harrison's example can be used to justify any acquisition of a player no matter how weak that player's previous resume might be.

In the future, please try to do a better job of keeping up before you attack another poster. Thank you.

21. Watt Wack

Watt Wack Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2017
    I don't think we will see Samuels much unless Bell gets hurt. No way does a rookie 7th round pick become a better passing option than Bell.

22. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    You don't seem to follow logic well. That was by no means a logical conclusion. That was just you twisting his comment around.

23. Spartacus

Spartacus Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
    Relax people, there's still time to fix this blunder. ILB can still be address after training camp ends and teams make their roster cuts. Mychal Kendricks of the Eagles just became available this week. there's always practice squads we can get players from. Just saying.

24. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Repeating your same incorrect point does not make it any better. It is exactly what his comment implies.

To be clear, I wasn't criticizing him for bringing up Harrison in that way. You can't count on a repeat of a guy like a Harrison. You just aren't going to find All-Pros on the scrap heap very often.

And I am right in saying you could use Harrison to justify any move. Technically, Bostic has shown more in the NFL than Harrison had when he joined the Steelers, but I don't think anybody expects that level of growth, right?

Last edited: Jun 5, 2018
  25. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I don't think he will be on the field much in place of Bell. That is why I mentioned putting him in the slot. I'm thinking they might be on the field together some. I still like Bell in the backfield on passing downs. He isn't just a threat as a receiver. He is a much bigger threat on a draw and he does a great job in pass protection. I'm not sure Samuels will provide the latter, anyway.