1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Should the Steelers Rescind the Franchise tag on Bell?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by robert1965, May 30, 2018.

1. Rambro

Rambro Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Keep the tag. Keep Bell fresh. Try to ramp up his touches as the season goes on and work some other guys in early. Either way Bell is going to get paid so I dont know what all the hubbub is about. Who knows mabye the Steelers win the SB next year and that convinces Bell to stay for less? Doubtful, but I understand why Bell would cash out. I wish him the best no matter what.

2. Mailman

Mailman Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2017
    Quite the opposite!He has a huge chip on his shoulder and will be going on all cylinders for that big contract that some team will pay him!How big?Probably not what he’s talking about but more than the Steelers more than fair offer.

3. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Not had a chance to watch him yet. Wasn't sure how good he may be at it .

4. pjgruden

pjgruden

Oct 16, 2011
    Yes, I would rescind the tag.

Use that money on Kendricks and keep the rest as a "what if" in case of injury or a decent cut comes closer to the season.

I think with the RB's currently on the roster they can give the team 80% of what Bell does. I also think that going in to camp knowing that you have all of the pieces of the offense already there will allow Fichtner to teach his playbook to everyone, and have everyone (hopefully) on the same page by the time the season starts.
    Also, I imagine blocking for Bell is probably different as an offensive line. Which is probably also why Bell struggled at the beginning of last season.

From a team perspective, I think letting Bell go is the smart move. He's a malcontent who won't be here next year anyway. Might as well just rip the band-aid off now and move on when they are installing a new playbook anyway.

5. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Bill Cowher did it, too, at least when he running back who was good enough to warrant that kind of load.

That is exactly how they need to use Bell this season. Despite the foolish assertions of others, he can't just cruise into the deal he wants. He needs to go out there and produce to get it. His yards per carry dropped significantly last season. If his overall numbers fall off this season, it's going to look like he is in decline and the big money won't be there. Bell knows this, so he's got to play for that contract.

6. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    No he didn't...He used Veron Haynes, Pegram, Lester, John Williams, Fu, Zeroue..Not even close...Used these guys way more, and argument could be made that they weren't as goid as Blount or DeAngelo

7. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    He used Lester? The guy who had 33 carries in his entire career?

Cowher gave Bettis a heavy workload. He ran Barry Foster into the ground for two seasons. Parker wasn't that type of workhorse back, plus Bettis was still there with him until Cowher's final season.

8. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    That's 33 more than Nix has gotten

Last edited: Jun 1, 2018
  9. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I assume that was a joke laid out there rather than acknowledge the error. It is also incorrect. Nix carried the ball three times in 2017. He even scored a touchdown on a one-yard run against the Texans.

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    The foolish assertion? Bell will get paid, maybe not what he wants but he will get paid well, good season or not. As you say his numbers were down but his usage was up last year and we still are paying him 14.55 mil. this year. Far and away more than the next back in the league. It may be that he is just getting used up as happens to rb's in the league and no matter how he tries this year and his usage numbers, he may not reach those goals try as he might. AP is a good example. As good as Bell was and is, we have won nothing in the way of championships with him. Neither did Minnesota with AP but they are still in the thick of the post season without him.:cool:

11. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    It is a foolish assertion. By 2019, Bell will be a year older. Unless he gets hurt again, he will have a lot more mileage on him. Either would hurt his value. If his production were to decline as well, that would cost Bell a lot of money. Clearly, that's his priority.

Teams aren't going to pay for 2017 Bell in 2019, especially if he had a disappointing 2018. It's not that difficult of a concept.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Yeah, I think Cowher even said he was going to run Parker until the wheels fell off. And they fell off.

13. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    He did. They did.

Do he do be do

14. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Wasn't that Tomlin who said that and ran the wheels off of Parker in 2007? Or am I remembering that wrong?

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I'm not sure Cowher ever said that about Parker. He did say it about Foster.

• Informative Informative x 1
  16. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    That was Tomlin that said that about Parker..

• Informative Informative x 1
  17. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    And then Parker broke his leg...

18. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Yep I was at that game.

19. Coastal Steeler

Coastal Steeler

Oct 16, 2011
    That was December Glenn. I was in Florida, Friends daughter (crack addict) bought us tickets to see the nut cracker. Wife wouldn't shut up saying I would hurt her feelings if I went to the local steeler bar instead of with her. I got to the steeler bar during wrapup. A Rams fan told me Willie broke his leg. Dang it

• Like Like x 1
  20. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I think he had over 200 receptions and over 40 TDs in college.

21. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    I gotta say Glenn, you do get around, lol

• Like Like x 1
  22. Watt Wack

Watt Wack Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2017
    Cowher used all those guys when he didn't have as much of a stud at RB. When he had Bettis and Parker, he ran the wheels of them.

23. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Bettie’s and Parker averaged about 20 rushes a game. That is hardly running the wheels off them.

24. MattyMo9

MattyMo9 Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2017
    The problem with dropping him now is that we really don’t have any running back with NFL starter potential. I love the Conner story as much as the next guy but his health issues have certainly curbed his growth. To count on him staying healthy for 16 games as a starter is asinine. If we were going to drop Bell we would have needed to draft a RB high or signed a legit FA. We did neither so let’s hope Bell plays his ass off one last season for us.

25. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    I think that'd be a very foolish move at this point. Not only are there no real players available that would be considered 'impact', I'm not sold our running backs would be able to 'replace' the productivity lost by losing Bell.

• Agree Agree x 1