1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

NFL Has A Problem

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, May 28, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. oldschool

oldschool Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I really hope players challenge that opinion and stand on a picket line with their morals. Humans have been forgoing paychecks and forming picket lines for many generations because they have demands or won't submit to something that restricts their freedoms.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  2. zcoop

zcoop Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2018
    If the league uses illegal strike, then the Players Association can use the fact that the league failed to bring the issue to the bargaining table. There still is a Collective Bargaining Agreement that must be adhered to.

The league really stepped in #* it this time. If most star players decided to sit, no one would be willing to watch the product of subpar players. The league should have worked on this with the union. I haven't watched a live game until we made the playoffs this year since Kap's ban. The issue is not about the flag or the anthem but folks changed the narrative to suit their needs.

This could and should be taken seriously.

3. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    Is Shaun King the new Adam Schefter?

There's no way 25 players, let alone 25% of the league sit out.

This is all hogwash. Slow time of year trying to drum up talk (and it' succeeding).

The owners can't fix the larger social issue but they sure can set the rules for their league. If ya don't like it, there's the door.

Maybe the AAF league won't even play the anthem and all the malcontents can go play there.

• Winner Winner x 2
  4. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Appears the NFL is going to have bigger problems with the next CBA.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I'm not going to get into all the politics of this issue here. I know this much though, I'll decide what's important for ME on Sundays and any other day of the week.
    All those other assumptions you made are B.S. too.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. TheMatrixHasYou

TheMatrixHasYou Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2018

There are bad people in our society and the police have to come from our society so there are always going to be some bad apples. Who are we supposed to hire? I don't know anyone who wants police to go out and harass and shoot black people but who are we supposed to hire? Almost every police department in the country has a hard time hiring blacks because they don't want to be the police.

I grew up in a poor black neighborhood. In four years it went from 75% white to 75% black because the government chose that area for low income loans. Those kids were taught by their mothers that all white people are racist and that black people can't be racist. They were taught that they will never be successful because whites won't allow them to be successful. So they cut school, dropped out, sold drugs, formed gangs, robbed, raped, and murdered. Their mothers set them up for failure. Not all of them, but most of them are either dead or in prison now.

You want to talk about disproportionate, okay, African Americans make up 11% (correction 13%) of the US population but they commit 38% of the crime.

You don't see white people protesting in the streets whenever a black person robs or murders a white person. You don't see white people protesting whenever a white person is shot and killed by a white or any other color police officer. The reason is because we weren't taught to use any excuse to get something for nothing. We know police make mistakes.

The American dream is if you work hard you can be successful. Selling drugs isn't working hard. Assaulting police officers, resisting arrest, and dog fighting are not going to become the American dream just because a minority thinks they should be able to get away with those things.

Have you ever heard of Sherry West? Probably not. You know George Zimmerman though, don't you? The reason you know George and not Sherry is because CNN covered the George Zimmerman case for months. They spent about 30 seconds on the Sherry West story. Sherry West is a poor white lady living in a poor area of Atlanta. She had a baby and was pushing the stroller down the street when two black kids walked up and tried to rob her. She didn't have any money so the one guy shot her in the leg and then shot the baby and killed him then they ran.

Where was the protest? Where was the kneeling then? Does any NFL player care? Nope, because only black lives matter and we're supposed to put up with it forever because of slavery. I never owned a slave. Neither did my family. And, for some of you uneducated, you might be surprised to learn that black people once had white people as slaves. The Jews were slaves in Egypt.

Let the players sit. Better yet, let them quit. We'll forget their names before long.

Last edited: May 28, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. zcoop

zcoop Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2018
    Do you really believe that chit you just typed? If you did, that's part of the reason we're having these issues. Ignorance.

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  8. TheMatrixHasYou

Mar 6, 2018
    5 years of college. GPA of 3.72. What was yours?

Yeah, I believe it. I lived it. You can look up Sherry West on the internet. You can look up population on the internet. You can look up crime rates on the internet.

Go get your education and come back.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Thread closed in 3..2..1..

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Appears the NFLPA is going to have bigger problems with the next CBA.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Did you really just compare Jackie Robinson to Colin Kaepernick? :facepalm:

• Like Like x 2
  12. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Go Steelers :huh:

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  13. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    :this!:

14. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I don't like you for telling me how I am or how I should feel, when you don't even know me. There are many more white people shot by cops than black. Do the research before you group every white person into a group of how they think pal. Who the he11 do you think you are? You making people out to be racist like you are is a major dumbazz claim. I apologize to TTF and the mods and to my black friends on this sight, it is nothing against anyone but man I hate for someone on there high horse to categorize people like this.:cool:

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 3
  15. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    He didn’t give it up. He lost it. Big difference.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. Coastal Steeler

Coastal Steeler

Oct 16, 2011
    Let them sit out. Release them and sign UFA's when they decide to come back tell them their spot is filled with someone who wants to be here. Now, go sit in front of the Bank with kap and reed

• Like Like x 2
  17. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Here in San Diego, the number of blacks on the force mirror the number of blacks in the population by percentage. Almost exactly. This is as of 2014

• Like Like x 2
  18. oldschool

Oct 19, 2011
    Well, I was more comparing team owners and their personnel decisions and rules vs. what the fans want. But, yeah, I'll accept the Kaepernick and Robinson comparison. I think they be comfortable being discussed in a broad conversation.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  19. oldschool

Oct 19, 2011
    Oh, he clearly saw what was coming for him. He knew he was going to lose lots of $$$

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  20. TheMatrixHasYou

Mar 6, 2018
    Some police departments have ethnicity that matches the community but most don't. As I said, most police departments have trouble hiring blacks because blacks don't want to become police officers. And, even if blacks do become police officers they would make mistakes at times just like white officers make mistakes and asian officers make mistakes and latino officers make mistakes.

Recently in Sacramento a young black man who was breaking into cars tried to get away and he was chased by the police and shot in a back yard where he died. He only had a cell phone in his hand. The officer was recorded saying "Gun! Gun! Gun!" before he shot the guy. CNN and the other networks covered it for a short time but they did not cover it every day for months and months like they did the George Zimmerman case. Why didn't they cover it more? Because it turns out the police officer who shot the black guy was also black. Still Sacramento had to endure a month of protesters blocking major streets and blocking the freeway.

The police are never going to be perfect.

21. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    You think? I can’t read his mind, but his reaction now doesn’t seem like he got what he expected?

• Like Like x 2
  22. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Jackie Robinson was an outstanding player who took a lot of crap and was the better man and didn't lose his composure. Krapyerdick is a mediocre player who had most of the advantages in life and didn't seem to show any concern until he got involved with a radical. He'd be with the Ravens now if his girlfriend had kept her mouth shut. If you truly believe in your cause, spend some of your own millions and buy air time, print ads, billboards. Stop doing it "at the office"

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  23. oldschool

Oct 19, 2011

I said disproportionately, not by totals, it's all relative. I didn't group every white person, I'm white. Just the ones who can't stand to see a black person protest, but don't mind tiki torches too much.

We aren't pals; clearly.

I'm not racist, I call it like I see it, too bad. I said it before and I'll say it again, I hold people of my own identifications to just as high of a standard or even higher and don't allow them to distort my identity. White, male, American-Italian, middle-aged heterosexual father, husband, brother. But I'm not over the top about it, I just can't get with group think mentality or let my opinion be silenced because a greater number thinks otherwise.

I have no idea how many black people or other minorities are on this board, but I personally want them or anyone else who supports the athlete's motivations to know some of us have your back and aren't goose-stepping in the other direction.

A lot of other comments in this and the other thread (as well as the many from last season) read like a boys club of like-minded grand standers growling about the help getting upitty. I never hear much real discussion or read any attempt to understand one iota of what the players are trying to do in and for society as a whole. Just a lot of us vs. them. So many people like to spout off when they are in segregated company and that's mostly what I read hear when anything beyond actual football is ahem..." discussed".

I was a bit on the other side of this conversation just yesterday with my wife and another friend who have tunnel vision supporting the players and aren't taking into account the perspective from the owners, league reps, other portion of society with reasonable points of view.

This is a nuanced topic and people are too busy digging in deep in their reflexive opinion and trying to get their own argument across rather than taking some real constructive listening to the other side.

• Disagree Disagree x 3
  24. oldschool

Oct 19, 2011
    Oh yeah, I believe so. I don't think he thought he would be blackballed though. When he was first sitting for a few weeks before he had his meeting with the war veteran and they together decided to take a knee was more respectful he had plenty of time and bad press to read what was in the wind.

25. TheMatrixHasYou

Mar 6, 2018

We understand what they are trying to do 100%.

What can we do about bad police? If you know anything about becoming a police officer you would know that there is more to completing a POST course than just about any other job except maybe military.

But, since you are so smart I'm sure you have the answer. Just, name the solution.

I'll wait...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.