1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

The picks we will lament not taking

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Watt Wack, May 22, 2018.

1. Watt Wack

Watt Wack Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2017
    That can easily be corrected, not like trying to fix a DB who lacks instincts.

2. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    I am quite impressed at the lack of evidence of certain areas within the "critiques" of the overall performance of Terrell Edmunds.

Within that same vein, I suppose that, given the fact that the 2018 NFL Preseason and nevermind Training Camp have not commenced yet, it is quite natural to jump to conclusions. :lolol:

3. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Easily? Maybe maybe not. Do you pick a guy like that in the first? Can't the problems you say TE has be fixed too?:cool:

4. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Except he does have them.

5. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016
  6. Watt Wack

Jul 29, 2017
    Brother, you just proved why player evaluation is an inexact science: Eric Berry has a feel for the game, he is superb. If TE is 75% of him, I will be thrilled. It takes more than physical skill to be good.

7. Watt Wack

Jul 29, 2017
    If lack of instincts could be fixed, Scott Shields would have been great.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    It would have proved that if he’d shown a guy with the same physical stats who was awful at pro level. And even then, it wasn’t the point he was trying to make.

At any rate, I think most are comfortable with the inexactness of the science.

After all, theres only a few people here making absolute predictions on how players will turn out based on scout reports...

9. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Eric Berry sure does. He was also a terrific athlete coming out of college.

Terrell Edmunds is a super charged but raw version of Eric Berry. In addition, whether you like it or not, Edmunds does possesses good instincts. They just have not been fine tuned yet; all the more reason he will succeed for what we need him do accomplish this season.

10. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

:applaud:

11. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Better coaching ... hopefully can improve our entire secondary.
    Colbert pick them and then the coaches, (Including head coach) have to play with the hand that they're dealt

12. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Doomed.jpg

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  13. Ender

Ender

Apr 5, 2014
    AQL, what are you basing this on? Is there a game last season you can point to so I can check it out?

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Namely the West Virginia game. Another one would be Boston College.

There are more games like Syracuse but those games sadly are difficult to find. The aforementioned two though are good starting points. :)

15. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    From beacherreport.com

1. The Buffalo Bills got good value when they selected former Virginia Tech linebacker Tremaine Edmunds with the 16th overall pick. The Pittsburgh Steelers drafted his brother and former teammate, safety Terrell Edmunds, 28th overall. A value pick he was not.

This isn't to say Edmunds won't develop into a good pro. He was a solid college player and has good measurables (6'1", 217 lbs), but he isn't anything special. He ran a decent 4.47-second 40 at the combine and logged just two interceptions in 2017.

Pretty much no one saw him as a potential first-round pick. In fact, Zierlein predicted he would be a third-rounder at best.

Heck, Miller had Edmunds rated as his 11th-best safety. That's right, he had 10 safeties rated higher than Edmunds, yet only two—Minkah Fitzpatrick and Derwin James—were taken ahead of him. It seems unlikely the Steelers couldn't have traded down with this pick or up in the second round and still landed him.

I'm a little confused. Do you trust player evaluation or is it an inexact science?

16. Watt Wack

Jul 29, 2017
    You know the answer.

17. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    The only real issue I have with not taking a LB in the draft is that we are currently running Matakevich out there as a starter... a starter! I hope this is just a seniority thing for now and Bostic “has to earn” his spot... cuz if Matakevich is the second best ILB on our team there’s no reason to not have taken and least 2 ILB in the draft.

18. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I think matakevich will be better than most think.

Grab first, move feet second in coverage. Needs to clean up his footwork and technique in coverage taking too many false steps. To hands on when the ball is in the air, drawing penalties. Eyes spend too much time in the backfield, losing track of routes and taking wild coverage angles. Lacks the make up speed to recover if beaten off the snap. Sudden releases can get him off schedule in press coverage. Seduced by ball fakes and play action. Has trouble breaking down on the move. Doesn't have the body bulk as his brother.

Weaknesses of Justin Reid.

I still think we were so gun shy from last year when the top safeties were snatched right before we were going to pick them. We were going to make sure we got our guys this time around. I think we got a good one for what we want him to do.

As for dirty red they like him and he is now healthy. I stand by my statement a while back that red will eventually take Vince's place. He has good instincts and gets around the ball. Just a hunch.

Thomas is very athletic, if he can get the mental part of the game we will have something.

Bostic is pretty solid.

I feel Vince plays better as a reserve and that keeps him hungry. Time will tell but I don't think we are in as bad of shape as many are portraying. I think we go into this season with 4 solid LBers and 3 guys that can play that role pretty well in sub package football. :cool:

19. Ender

Ender

Apr 5, 2014
    I will have to check out the BC game. As far as the WVU game goes, I watched that game in person and later on film and I thought Edmunds was late to the ball on the majority of the plays at him in the pass game. To me this game showed his poor instincts. After all, if you run a 4.47 and you are still late on every route what else could it be?

Having said that, he was playing hurt so maybe his shoulder affected his pass coverage this year. I have seen none of his 2016 games so maybe he was lights out in those.

20. Ender

Ender

Apr 5, 2014
    I like Dirty Red a lot too. I think he will shock some folks now that he's healthy.

21. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    Grab first, move feet second in coverage. Needs to clean up his footwork and technique in coverage taking too many false steps. To hands on when the ball is in the air, drawing penalties. Eyes spend too much time in the backfield, losing track of routes and taking wild coverage angles. Lacks the make up speed to recover if beaten off the snap. Sudden releases can get him off schedule in press coverage. Seduced by ball fakes and play action. Has trouble breaking down on the move. Doesn't have the body bulk as his brother.

Mac you just described the last date I had!

• Like Like x 1
  22. Watt Wack

Jul 29, 2017
    Saying he is "raw" is code word for lacking instincts. The 1st time I saw Berry play at TN, he flew off the screen with splash plays, and I said to myself, "Now that guy is a special player." When I watch tape of TE, I don't see that same thing.

23. Watt Wack

Jul 29, 2017
    Well, I've been going on (and on and on) about instincts, and Red has them. He's not big or fast, but he plays without wasted movement, which means a lot in this game. He reminds me a little of Zach Thomas, who Jimmy Johnson drafted and he had a super productive career. When asked if Zach's lack of height didn't concern him, Jimmy said, "His job isn't to change light bulbs." Unlike Pgh's philosophy of late, JJ considered production in college more than measurable physical traits. Red was a tackling machine in college, just as Zach was.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Incorrect.

By "raw", he is inexperienced at the position itself. Instincts are a different skillset all together; position being irrelevant.

As I said, Terrell has them. Whether you accept it or not is entirely up to you.

25. Watt Wack

Jul 29, 2017
    And if his career is fraught with taking the wrong angle to ball carriers and losing receivers in pass coverage, what will you say then?