1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Carnell v Tom

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Fe3CCity, May 20, 2018.

1. Fe3CCity

Fe3CCity Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2012
    We have all thought about the weak spot know as the secondary.

I personally was not on Lake's team. With a new secondary coach and all but Lebeau formers gone, butler is running a version, is this the change we need.

"The D is complex" has been heard before. Carnell comes from that previously spoken D.

Is this the guy thank can splice new ideas with common college tongue?

I think speaking the same language is under appreciated. Is this our Rosetta stone?

2. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I think just years of experience could help. TB had to teach new guys all the time at the college level. I'd like to think it will help but until we see results we won't know. We had trouble from guys that had been through this system from day one and still had trouble. Was it the coaching or the players or a combination of both? :cool:

3. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    As a player, I truly respected Lake's game. He was top notch, smart and selfless. Grateful he was in Black and Gold.

Unfortunately this didn't translate to coaching an NFL secondary. It seemed to be over his head. Had trouble developing players. Secondary looking lost on multiple occasions.

Tom Bradley comes with an extensive coaching resume. He will bring a teaching aspect that Lake could not, discipline. I feel the secondary will not be a liability going forward.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Daddymac10

Daddymac10 Well-Known Member

May 1, 2015
    If we can keep Artie Burns focused & from taking an occasional lunch break after the snap ...we should be fine

5. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I am anticipating seeing a big step forward for both Burns and Davis this year.

I also expected to loose 10 pounds this spring and that didn’t happen.

6. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Bradley is one heck of a good coach. Being that it's always been on the college level I hope it translates well into the NFL level.
    But, I know a guy that played at Penn State under Bradley, he played safety and said Bradley was the best coach he ever had.

7. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    This is the most excited I've been about our secondary for a long time. Even with Burns and Davis. If Bradley can get those two to tighten up parts of their game I think we are golden.

Loved Lake as a player but his time here was two years too long.

8. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    I wish lake could have stayed and learned under Bradley. Sarrett is learning under munch and I think he will be much better for it. They are already talking about him taking over once munch leaves.:cool:

9. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Personally I believe that if Tomlin cannot win it all, something tells me that Munchak just may in fact be our new Head Coach. No excuses for Coach Tomlin this time.

Again, I am taking quite the assumption here but why did Munchak not accept the Head Coaching offer from the Arizona Cardinals? Not much is adding up from that aspect to me. Something vital must have been stated for him to stay.

10. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    I understand the concerns many people have with how Bradley is going to combat a problem that begins within the rules of the NFL itself in Article 46. Article 46 killed the principles and fundementals of tackling all together. As such, NFL teams have only a finite set of solutions. Some teams, such as Seattle and New England, literally remove padding all together and only have helmets to use to institute rugby style tackling. Other teams, such as the Steelers, received and utilizied a robotic device known as the M.V.P. or Mobile Virtual Player.

Furthermore, I also understand the concern of a college Head Coach ascending to the NFL. The mechanics, systemics and rules are completely different without question. In addition, talent alone will not be the deciding factor in games anymore as every NFL Player has talent. It is the skills and refinement in those skills through repitition that seperate good players like Alshon Jeffery to great players like Antonio Brown.

In all actuality however, no amount of rugby based training or technological piece of equipment is going to matter without the correct and detailed coaching that goes with it. Furthermore, talent and skill, while necessary, are not the proverbial "end all, be all" solution either. The constant repitition of the fundamentals and principles from the coaches themselves towards their players of the game itself is vital in any league; High School, College or the NFL. This is why I was so excited about the Bradley hire; his extreme levels of attention to detail within the fundementals and principles of the Defensive Back position no less.

That being said, in short? Yes, the NCAA FBS and the NFL are two entirely different contiuities of their own. Yes, Article 46 is here to stay until 2020 when it is set to expire (assuming the players fight against it by either with their wallets or with their actions of not participating). However, none of these concerns have anything to do with the core structure of any Professional Sports Organization's foundation of success; the continual repetition of the fundementals and the principles. No Article of any kind nor league is ever going to change that; all the more reason that those who are cautiously optimistic need to realize that the principles and fundementals of the game will never be replaced.

In the end, this is what Bradley has over Carnell Lake. Lake did institute some teachings in regards towards coverages and body placement within them but never really touched on the principles and fundamentals to the extent Bradley ever has. Bradley has the experience and stickler based mentality to institutie those fundementals and principles. That being said, I do believe that we will field a secondary that many of us have not seen in some time. A secondary not only capable of sound covergae techniques but proper and efficient tackling.

When that happens this season, we will look back on February 8th of 2018 when Bradley was hired. Most of all, when that happens, we will have a much better defense; one that is more ready for the storms that await in January than in 2017.

11. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    It wouldn't surprise me but it may come down to MT retiring on top if we win. :cool: