1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Bradshaw/Roethlisberger

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by mytake, May 8, 2018.

1. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    Ugh. Don't post a link to that play!! I'm just barely over it to begin with. I'll take your word for it. Just don't make me watch! :facepalm:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  2. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Marino handing off would be the same as Malone handing off.

3. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Let's see.......8 SBs, N.O. would have thrown a total of 16 INTs...........

4. bettissb40

bettissb40 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I'll take either one of them, just give me Noll as the coach.

5. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012

Come on man. Do you think that they would have not seen the difference in talent and trusted it? Dan Marino to Louis Lipps would have been sick.

6. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    I would hope so but, That wouldn't have been "Steeler" football. "3 yards and a cloud of dust!"

7. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    They still have to pass the football and would have had one of the best QB's ever slinging it. Not to mention, they didnt always hold a lead, you dont play catch up with 3 yards and a cloud of dust.

Trying to stop a team with Marino and a ground game of Foster and then Bettis and that defense? Good luck with that.

The 80's teams had better talent then it gets credit for too, just no QB.

Our trophy case would have several more shiny objects in it for sure.

• Winner Winner x 1
  8. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Agreed, but I’ve watched both, just like yourself. Taking one or the other in their prime, and allowing for changes in the game, Bradshaw would be my starting quarterback and Ben would be my Cliff Stoudt.

9. pastorbob

pastorbob Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    The dedence was good partially becauce of Terry!Nod player is going to let a qb play tougher than him.The qb can fire-up a D ornot as in pass happy Marino. The better question is how many SB Terry lost compared to big baby Ben.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  10. Watt Wack

Watt Wack Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2017
    No

11. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I have said and always will say. bradshaw is top 3 all time. sure he had some great teammates. some great wrs and an awesome d but late 70's that d was not as dominate. the last 2 super bowls bradshaw made some throws that were just unbelievable. he doesn't get the credit he deserves for many reasons but if you never seen him play and I mean other than youtube. if you never did, you really cant appreciate how good he was. just my opinion

• Agree Agree x 3
  12. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    And people forget that Bradshaw was essentially his own offensive coordinator, calling his own plays. Pretty good for a guy who couldn't spell CAT if you spotted him the C and the A. :thumbs up:

13. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    They would have thrown more. Also, the thing that stopped that 1984 team was they couldn't handle Marino. Put him on their team with Lipps and Stallworth as his targets and that's an entirely different story. That was really Stallworth's final season as a great player. Also, even without Marino, that was the only team to beat the 49ers that season.

• Like Like x 1
  14. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    If the Steelers had Marino from '83 to '00.... there probably would be at least 2 more Lombardis, minimum... in that timeline on top of the 4 won in the 70's. One in the 1984 season with Lipps, Stallworth at WR... and then one in the 90's with the Blitzburgh D along with Foster, Thigpen, Mills, Morris, etc. Marino never had that awesome RB that Bradshaw and Roethlisberger had. Bradshaw had Harris and Bleier... Roethlisberger had Parker and Bettis. Problem with that alternate time continuum... is the Steelers probably would never have drafted Ben... and we'd still be stuck around 6 or 7 SBs. Marino may have played longer for the Steelers than he did for the Dolphins... so 2004 in that timeline is unclear. Also, could the Steelers afford to keep Marino in Free Agency? There's too many damn variables and it gives me a headache thinking about it.

Last edited: May 11, 2018
  15. Mailman

Mailman Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2017
    You’re basically comparing apples to oranges!Bradshaw had a defense that was arguably the best of all time with 8 of 11 starters on defense making the pro bowl in 1976 and that team didn’t even make it to the Super Bowl!The defensive rules didn’t change until 1978 as far as illegal contact with a receiver as the db could make contact with the receiver at the line of scrimmage.Ben’s stats blow away Bradshaw’s as Terry only had two more touchdown passes than interceptions in his career but Bradshaw was one of the best clutch Super Bowl qb’s of all time.It’s an interesting question but different era’s make it tough call!

16. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    At the end of the New England game, Bradshaw would not have been trying to spike the ball nor would he have been confused about calling a play.

That explains the difference in a nutshell.

• Agree Agree x 2