1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Official 2018 Draft Day Thread (NO SPOILERS!)

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by Blast Furnace, Apr 26, 2018.

1. TheMatrixHasYou

TheMatrixHasYou Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2018
    So you're saying we can't win unless we have a 1st round ILB? The Eagles ILB's are not 1st round guys.

2. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    I'll keep that in mind when the Defense is getting pounded again this year.

• Winner Winner x 2
  3. TheMatrixHasYou

Mar 6, 2018
    Yeah, I know. I wanted Avery there too. In my mock I had us moving down 20 spots and taking Avery in the late 2nd so I was disappointed more than anyone.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    And Im sure you'll forget all about it when they aren't.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  5. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    To me it doesn't matter if the ILB was going to start right away, all offseason we heard ILB was a priority. Bostic isn't a long term answer, if there's a injury then what it will be like 2017 signing a scrub like Spence.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. TheMatrixHasYou

Mar 6, 2018
    Yeah, I know. I think they will have to get one more ILB in the draft somewhere.

I always over value ILB's who can run 4.60 and every year I have ILB's rated in the 3rd round who fall all the way to the 5th to 7th rounds. They really are a dime a dozen in the later rounds.

7. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Here the thing, our depth on defense is trash. We could use two each of safety, olb, and ilb... and we could use a DT.

8. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Well that's not going to happen now, I would settle for one of each.

9. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    When the OT was announced in the 3rd at first I thought it was that OLB from Oklahoma they were drafting, never heard of this OT :shrug:.

10. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    Why do people like you keep bringing up yards. If a qb drove the field on you 4 times for 99 yards and each team you stopped him at the goalline who cares about the yards. The defense just eventually got GASSED. They held Ne scoreless on 6 of their 11 drives and forced 2 4th down conversions and a crucial turnover. Gronkowski just started to wear them down. The eagles defense did a good job they made enough plays for the team to win.

11. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    The lbs are not the strength of their team. Their best players and game changers on defense who are Some of the best at their positions in fletcher cox, brandon Graham, and malcolm Jenkins are all FIRST ROUND PICKS.

12. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    Ben will go to the HOF and was the 11th pick overall.

I don't think anyone is expecting the same from Rudolph.

13. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    I hear ya but how often did Martavis ever use his height to his advantage. He didn't catch alot of contested passes.

Washington is a tough kid who battles and competes. A+ character.

14. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    It also appears Ben is not so good at those GL fades negating the advantage a tall WR has in that area . I am also going to speculate the Team probably intend to use Washington as a RB as well. He looks like a RB to me a lot on tape and could be a WR they could flex into the backfield to help create mismatches.

15. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Adding character guys is nice. Helping the damn defense would have been a hell of a lot better.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    The only player I knew was S Barkley. And since he was gone early, I have no suggestions for who the Steelers draft.

What I do know is they tend to draft for future needs. See Cam Heyward.

To win now, you pay QBs next to nothing on a rookie contract instead of breaking the bank on a veteran back up.

From my perspective, Washington looks like he is big-upper body guy who can out muscle you for a contested catch. Swat you away and then run away. Bryant couldn’t. He need to be wide open when catching the ball. He looked better than he was because he had Ben throwing him the ball.

With Rudolph, and his nose so bright, we no longer have to look forward to suffering with Landry for a year.

If I was drafting, I would’ve used the first three picks for defense. But maybe with the addition of Tom Bradley, they feel confident about finding solid D players in the later rounds. Or they just said screw it, let’s score 46

17. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    You guys are missing the big picture. The reason for these wonderful picks is to finish higher in next years draft. Then get the D help. Should be some studs left within the first 12 picks.

18. TIMSBURGH

TIMSBURGH Member

Nov 25, 2017
    New member but Steelers fan for 42 years. I agree we need defensive help for 2018 also defending the MR pick some projected him as a late 1st early second rounder. also as stated above finding Bens replacement needs to start. we now have 2 young Qb's to groom. If one works out fine but a 3rd 2018 and 4th rd 2017 is a small price to pay for a chance at Bens replacement.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Welcome to the board. Good first post :drinks:

20. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    I was all excited for the draft, then the picks happened now I'm bummed out :bowdown:. I thought there would be more attention paid to the defense in the early rounds :frustrated:.

21. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Edmunds could be the dime LB though, that's a upgrade over guys like Spence and Mitchell being on the field.

22. TheMatrixHasYou

Mar 6, 2018
    We have first round picks in Haden, Burns, Watt, Dupree, Heyward, and second round picks in Davis and Tuitt. They don't always play as well as they should but it's not for lack of using high picks.

23. TheMatrixHasYou

Mar 6, 2018
    I think the team gave up a 3rd and 7th this year to move up to get QB Mason Rudolph, not a 3rd rounder next year.

24. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Since the Steelers don't have a 4th rd pick, I can take a nap :shrug:.

25. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    Watt is left to be desired but I like what I saw. Haden is a good player and the only guy who showed up vs jax. Heyward is solid but he was absent in the biggest game of the year. Tuitt pretty good just cant stay healthy. Davis, burns, and Dupree are not good. Just because you draft someone in the first rd doesn't make them good.