1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

We need an atmosphere like this at Heinz

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by SDOT, Apr 25, 2018.

1. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    You constantly see the players talking about the fans. Ben talking about the home fans bringing it. Vince Williams talking about the fans bringing it this season. I'd say we got the best road fans but you have to admit it's lacking at home. We need an ultra section at home games. Teams get straight rattled at some of these soccer games. Home field actually means something.

2. takenoprisoners1

takenoprisoners1 Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2011
    I was at a Steelers game where the ushers were actually instructing fans to sit down because not everyone in the section wanted to stand at points during the game.... While I understand the concern of those fans that would like to attend to their needlepoint, I will submit..... THIS IS A FOOTBALL GAME!!!!!! If you want a nice cushy seat for your backside, your couch may be a more appropriate venue....

You don't see a lot of needlepoint going on in Centurylink Field for the Hawks -- well, at least since their team got competitive.....

3. chuckie_os

chuckie_os Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I truly (as a soccer fan) don't think Football will ever get crazy like soccer fans. They do the dumbest things and hardly ever get punished.
    And safety wise I don't think the NFL would want this either.

4. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    .......throw in a nice stampede and a riot or two....now we're talking....fun for the whole family.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  5. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Soccer fans must get really drunk to act as loony as they do cause I've watched the game and it just seems like a total snooze fest to me.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Yeah we need our fans to act like hooligans :facepalm:.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Boomer

Boomer Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2011
    I just can’t see getting that excited for soccer. It’s 90 minutes of running around and then potentially going home with a score of 0-0. I’d rather watch paint dry or grass grow over watching soccer.

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Another Apples to Oranges comparison?

....:tequila:

Good thing the draft is less than 24 hours from now! :herewego:

The future will be here soon enough!! :rawk:

• Like Like x 1
  9. Rambro

Rambro Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    I went to the Chiefs game last year. My wifes friend got hammered before the game and she kept yelling at the group in front of us to sit down. Some dude in a D.Thomas jersey turned around and pointed to the jersey and said "you see this lady? You are in our house Im not sitting down. Ugghhh I wanted to shake his hand lol. But yeah, arrowhead was a nice experience, chiefs fans are super classy.

10. chuckie_os

chuckie_os Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Well if you look @ all of these videos, they are from Europe..
    Soccer in Europe is HUGE..
    Gotta find a way to make it through all 90 mins!

11. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    Opposite story for me. Was at the Monday Night Game against D.C. and the fans started telling us to sit down when the Skins had the ball!

Felt like a home game! fun stuff, you could look around and Terrible Towels were going like crazy!

12. Mailman

Mailman Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2017
    Three Rivers used to shake when you were at the game!The scenery at Heinz stadium is all fine and dandy but scenery doesn’t give you home field advantage and make it loud as hell!Close the open end of the stadium and keep the noise in!!

• Agree Agree x 4
  13. theRealeHarris

theRealeHarris Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2016
    NFL does not need soccer hooliganism. Too much violence. The hooliganism is the complete opposite of the NFL's current family-friendly direction. But I'd like to see the NFL adopt more official supporters clubs, like say soccer clubs have. The importance of supporter clubs is to bring further unity and community among fans and between the fans and organization. Supporter clubs act as a channel of communication between fan and organization. Fans can display their love or discontent with players, staff, opposing teams, GODDELL.

For example Steelers could have:
    1) sections of seating at Heinz Field dedicated to supporters club. The loudest, PG place in the house. Not hard to be civil about it. I watched a game at Heinz field last season. I thought the North End upper level would be good given its bench seating.
    2) official steeler chants, songs. These are integral. Although "here we go steelers" is common at Heinz. There's a real lack of unity among the sounds people are making. We need songs dedicated to our Steeler legends (Rooneys, myron cope, 70s steelers). Chants for our current greats (BigBen, AB).
    3) Impact on away games. Nothing embarrasses a team like taking over their home with your team's song(s).... of course taking over another team's home with waving Terrible Towels is pretty cool too :herewego:

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. theRealeHarris

Dec 11, 2016
  15. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    It is kinda funny our road presence is much more dynamic than it is at Heinz Field. Which is weird because around the city of Pittsburgh the day before and day of it is off the charts. Much more raucous than other cities. But when people flood into Heinz Field it' a bit more subdued. Nerves?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  16. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    I agree in general - in fact, I remember back in the 80s when NFL first started to be televised over here in the UK, one of its selling points was the difference in crowd atmosphere (given that in the 80s violence at football matches was at it's height across a lot of Europe).

At the same time, it's worth pointing out that there's been a lot of work to combat hooliganism in soccer across the game. It's still there, though (in fact, there was a pretty nasty incident at the Liverpool match the first video is from, where a gang attached to Roma turned up with masks and weapons... not good). But soccer as a whole got quite "gentrified" during the 1990s.

One of the main differences between crowds at each sport is that soccer tends to be closer to the field, more compact, and the game is constant (whether or not its interesting), so fans tend be in one place all through the match. It's a different set-up generally in the NFL, so you aren't going to get that vibe in quite the same way.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    As a complete aside, my favourite fan chant story is when Chelsea had a French defender called Frank Leboeuf. Whenever he made a good play on the ball, the fans would sing:

"He's here, he's there,
    He's every f**king where,
    Frank Leboeuf, Frank Leboeuf"

Leboeuf wrote in a match programme that he was flattered by this, but requested the fans stop singing it because there were kids at the game. So the next match, when he made a play on the ball, the fans sang:

"He's here, he's there,
    He's not allowed to swear,
    Frank Leboeuf..."

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  18. theRealeHarris

Dec 11, 2016

:roflmao: Now that is the kind of stuff I would like to see in the NFL.... maybe pass on the cursing to begin. I agree with your points as well. Apples and oranges comparing NFL and soccer fan culture. I've been a footy supporter since birth (Manchester United , Cardiff City... my father is from just north of Cardiff- Bedeau/Pontypridd). However, being born in 1994 I've only first-hand experienced the premeirship era. But of course I'm familiar with the days of old and its violence. Speaking of soccer violence.... watch out for this Summer's World Cup in Russia :read:

19. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    Which games are you watching?

Nothing Hooligan about this. Just passion.

I agree about the draws but that's because the good players play a lot. Champions League, country, etc. You just have to know what to watch. Champions league game today cannot end in tie.

Yep! The Igloo too

20. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    Away fans for tonights game

21. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    My only experience with international futbol was during the '86 World Cup in Mexico. My ex and I were walking around the zocalo in her home town where they were having a match between Denmark and Germany. One of the Danish fans glared at me and asked where I was from. I told him I was from the U.S. and he looked relieved and said he thought he wouldn't be able to be nice 'cause he thought I was German! Talk about fans who travel well............

• Like Like x 1
  22. Watt Wack

Watt Wack Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2017
    Different sport, different country, different culture. Not apple to apple comparison. 3 Rivers literally rocked. Heinz is a whimpering toddler by comparison. F nice city views - sound escapes. 3 Rivers far more intimidating.

• Agree Agree x 1