1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you think we need a new coach, or something else?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelersfan35, Apr 24, 2018.

1. steelersfan35

steelersfan35 Well-Known Member

Oct 28, 2016
    IMO, ever since Tomlin became our head coach, we've been doing pretty well. We made it to 2 Super bowls with him. But since then, our rosters have changed. Some players retired or got traded/released. Since 2011, we've been like the Capitals, losing before we made it to the Super Bowl.

So, is it really Tomlin's fault? Or is it something else? For me, I think it's the defense. Our offense is has been good ever since Ben came along, but overtime, our defense has changed since the "good old days" with Polamalu, Taylor, Kiesel, Harrison, etc. I believe if we get our defense figured out, then we may be a serious contender. Even though we came close once or twice making the Super Bowl, that just shows you that an average defense and a great offense can still win Super Bowls, just look at some of the highest scoring Super Bowls... (SB 52) Patriots vs. Eagles anyone?

Last edited: Sep 25, 2022
  2. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    We do need something else collectively as a fanbase.

We need to R-E-L-A-X. The 2018 NFL Season has not even gotten into the preseason stages and nevermind the OTA's.

Keep calm and enjoy the draft. :drinks:

Last edited: Apr 24, 2018
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  3. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Its hard man. I mean for all the praise the pats get. They have lost 3 and should be 4 under belicheck. Its not one thing. Its a number of things at different times. Injuries, ike taylor, all kinds of things. Cant point to one thing.

4. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    We’ve drafted offense better than defense recently. That’s why the offense is killing it and he defense lags behind. When you draft studs like Bell and Decastro and high impact players like Marty and JuJu, as well as hit on your project players (Villy and Hubbard) you’re gonna have a good time.

Defensively we’ve drafted busts Jarvis Jones and Senquez Golson, and Dupree is starting to look like he will add his name to that list as well. Tuitt and Shazier were big hits, but the Shazier injury really has us reeling.

So a combo of drafting defense a little better and performing when it matters is what will get us over the top.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    I'm not a huge Tomlin fan but to me this team simply needs better team chemistry and more solid back ups when it comes to advancing through the playoffs. They are a very good regular season team but lately fail to achieve the ultimate goal which is winning the Lombardi. That certainly can be attributed to Tomlin and the coaching staff but at this point it would be a huge backwards step to change it up.

As for last season, once Shazier went down it was pretty much already over. It shouldn't come down to one player having that big of an impact but IMO it was devastating more than any other player not named Ben or Brown.

6. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    A couple of playmakers on defense could put them over the top, we need a athletic safety and ILB. Also if Watt becomes a double digit sack guy that would go a long way towards this team getting over the hump.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Haven’t been lucky enough to win lol

8. SteelerEmpire

SteelerEmpire Well-Known Member

Aug 30, 2015
    True our coaching staff has room to be better. But at the same time, they could be MUCH worse also

9. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Actually Belicheat should have lost 5

10. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Tomlin should be given at least 14-15 years... about the same time Cowher served. Tomlin is on year 12... so the clock is ticking. I say if there is no 7th by 2022... then Steelers should begin the search for a new HC. By that time, Tomlin may want to retire and go the Cowher route with CBS or Fox, etc...he would be good at that, because he likes to talk.

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. SteelerinKC

SteelerinKC Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    I am on the side of replacing Tomlin. In my opinion, he is all sizzle and no steak, a bullsh!t artist. He fails to recognize and deal with players doing idiotic things. He fails to recognize and change horrific defensive strategies that have proven to be doomed to failure. He fails to instill discipline across the team so we have letdowns against teams we should handle. We better enjoy the time we have left with Ben because if Tomlin is still around when Ben retires, it's going south very fast. You will see just how truly awful Tomlin is then. I think about what a coach like Belichick could do with a team like this and it makes me sick.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    I can see (hear) it now: "Obviously today's matchup features the Bills versus the Dolphins. Obviously they will play at least 4 quarters and then if tied, will play up to one quarter of overtime. Obviously if the home team isn't winning big in the 4th quarter, the fans will unleash holy hell! If the play by play guy goes down with strep, it's next man up, which is me, I will need to execute fully because after all, the standard is the standard." Some of you will have much better impersonations I'm sure. Go to it fellas. :drinks:

• Like Like x 2
  13. LoneGranger

LoneGranger Well-Known Member

May 5, 2016
    WHO would you select to replace Tomlin? Belichick (.683) is the only one and I don’t believe he is available. “Chucky” Gruden with his record of 100-85 .540 record? Tomlin is clearly the best after Bad Bill. Who else is ahead of Tomlin? Chamberlin .759, Lombardi .740, John Madden .731, Flaherty .701, George Allen .681, Halas .671, Shula .665, and Dungy .652 all Hall of Famers! Oh! And Blanton Collier .672 who for some reason is not in the NFL Hall of Fame. Who is Tomlin better than? To name a few: Seifert .649, Gibbs .629, Lambeau .623, Walsh .619, Brown .616, Grant .607, and Landry .601. Other than Seifert, they are all Hall of Famers. Again WHO would you select to replace Tomlin?

Current Active NFL Head Coaches with W-L Record for both Regular and Post Season

Bill Belichick 278-129 .683

Mike Tomlin 124-67 .649

Mike McCarthy 131-78 .626

Sean Payton 112-76 .596

John Harbaugh 104-71 .594

Andy Reid 194-193 .593

Pete Carroll 122-86-1 .586

Ron Rivera 67-51-1 .567

Jason Garrett 68-55 .553

Jon Gruden 100-85 .541

Marvin Lewis 125-119 .512

14. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    There are other choices besides current/past head coaches. Cowher and Tomlin weren't head coaches before Pittsburgh.

• Like Like x 1
  15. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    And who would you pick that you are certain would be better?

• Like Like x 1
  16. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    How many of those started with a SB winning team?:cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. LoneGranger

May 5, 2016
    Several of them and they could not coach their team to a SB victory. How many of them have achieved Tomlins sustained excellence. 8 of 11 seasons were double digits victory years. :cool:

18. LoneGranger

May 5, 2016
    Seriously you would trade an accomplished coach for a pig in the poke? 34-14 for the last three years and you toss him? Well it does not matter you think or what I think. Art Rooney is not dumping him. So whine on! Bill Cowher went 13 years without a Super Bowl victory. Tomlin has coached 8 double digit winning teams out of 11 seasons. Cowher coached 9 double digit winning teams out of 15 seasons.

19. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Tomlin and Cowher are about the same as far as winning. Only difference is, Cowher drafted a franchise HOF QB and future HOF safety (Polamalu) along with possible HOF LG (Faneca).

Antonio Brown is the only sure-shot HOF'er besides maybe DeCastro Tomlin has drafted.

20. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    STOP MAKING SENSE!!

21. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    There's never a guarantee that one coach is going to be better than another in any situation. That wasn't my point. My point is that the drawing pool is huge, and not just limited to existing pro head coaches. I know my high school coach would know better than going for 2 with a 6-0 first quarter lead. That's just one example of the things this coach has done wrong, and it outweighs what he's done right (imo).

22. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    I'm whining?

23. Mailman

Mailman Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2017
    I think Tomlin’s record as head coach speaks for itself!A few new assistant coaches seem like good choices!How Porter is still there blows my mind.He should have been the first to go!!!

24. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Going for 2 outweighs a Super Bowl and being the 2nd most successful active coach? Seriously, that’s your argument? :facepalm:

By the way, there is a reason your high school coach is a high school coach.

25. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    I have no argument, I'm not arguing with anyone. I never said replace him, but I don't like him. The 2 point fiasco was the tipping point for me (unleash hell was a close second). My high school coach died of cancer shortly after I graduated, but not before back to back undefeated seasons, one only allowing 13 points scored against the defense in all games combined. No knowing where he would be today.