1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Dupree

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by TheSteelHurtin2188, Apr 23, 2018.

1. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I certainly don’t think this has an iota to do with admitting anything. This is purely them thinking there is upside, and apparently a lot of it.

2. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I'm not denying his upside. I'm questioning his production so far and his ability to see that upside come to fruition. It will continue to be categorized as upside as long as he continues to underperform.....which he has. Trust me nothing would make me happier than to see him reach his potential because the better he does the better for us. I'm just telling it like it is,he's got work to do.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    So thats the root of your vitriol. I dont think Bud needs to be an all pro to call JH out for acting like a schmuck. Maybe if JH was helping Bud instead of stomping his feet like an impetuous child, Bud would be further along in his game.

As far as injuries go, no player steps aside, if the coach says go you go.

Buds play hasnt been up to snuff for a first rd pick but things like dropping into coverage and injuries cant just be brushed aside either. His play against the run is more concerning then sacks.

4. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    It's not the root at all ,its his underperforming that's root enough....I just simply don't like the fact that he has to say anything. There's enough guys on the team that have too much to say but at least some of them can back it up on the field....he can't. Neither you or I know the extent that JH helped or didn't help the young guys but we do know that he invited all the guys out to AZ for years to train with him but some people want to gloss over that fact. Some leaders are vocal leaders and some lead by example and that's what JH did ,if anyone on the team wanted to follow they could have instead of whining about it which is what Dupree did. I like my athletes to speak on the field. I never complained about his sack totals in fact if you read my other posts I said I couldn't care less. The root of my problem is he is soft and not living up to his draft selection. His play against the run is a direct reflection of his lack of physicality and that is by far my biggest issue with him. He's 6'4 270 lbs ....is it too much to ask to play like it. I don't think so...but like I've said maybe it's me :shrug:.

5. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    This x 1,000. It's not like he's outweighed by a right tackle by 60+ pounds. At that size, he should be able to do some damage in the run game. Plus, he's faster than 99% of RTs in the league.

6. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Agree, Dupree is too soft against run. As long as he is there, strong running teams like Jax and others will take advantage of his weakness against the run and run right at him. With him there and coupled with our secondary weakness in tackling you'll get 45 to 43 types of games. Seen him blown off the ball way too much against the run. In that area he is close to being a Jarvis Jones.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Actually we do know, you're just choosing to believe that several teammates are lying about it. I thought it was pretty convincing when Bud was asked if JH was a mentor and he laughed and walked away from the interview shouting, "they asked if he was a mentor." And we are talking about last season, not years past in AZ. And while showing guys how to weight train can be considered mentoring, Id prefer he show Bud how to set the edge and get after the QB.

. Sure as hell didnt last year. Can argue if Tomlin was right or wrong but he wasnt on the field to lead by example. The only example he was setting was a bad one trying to get himself released.

I never said you did. I was speaking for myself and agreeing that his run defense is a bigger concern.

8. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    For those whom are still questioning the fifth year option, I ask you this;

Who among the 2018 NFL Draft Class of Edge Rushers can be selected in Round One while we have other pressing needs? In addition, can said Edge Rusher do more than just rush the passer?

Keywords are 'can' and 'do'; questions one and two respectively.

9. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011

Sorry I mangled your post I don't know what I did :smiley1: sometimes my IPad skills are like Buds run defense.....weak sauce :shrug:

Last edited: Apr 25, 2018
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  10. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    I don't think many if any are questioning the 5 th year option they really didn't have much of a choice. I'm pretty sure most of us are just really frustrated by a guy with all that ability not living up to it. I don't know the guy, so it's not personal. He is underperforming plain and simple....

11. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Oh make no mistake. I am also frustrated as well. However, injuries happen. There is no guarantee a healthy Dupree vs. a 50% one, for example, will yield the same results.

Even so, we need to give him time. As I said, if Dupree is truly an issue due to injury concerns, players like Clowney also need to be held in question; draft status being irrelevant.

One more subject I did want to touch base on. I did say "to those whom are". I was not specifically targeting you. :smiley1:

12. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    No I know you weren't singling me out. It's all good I don't take myself or too many things that seriously :smiley1:
    I realize you can't expect anyone to perform at their best if injured but some people can play with or around their injuries. I'm not saying he can or he can't either...but if he's constantly injured playing patty-cake I'm not very optimistic about his durability....like I've said the biggest problem I have with Dupree is that he just isn't physical and he's not going to be productive for us until he understands that. You can't just run around people in this league . He has to be physical at the point and he has to attack OL in their chests ,not just their outside shoulders. When is he gonna develop any other move or technique....If all he is gonna continue to do is run the arc then soon he might be working next to the golden ones......oh wait those are arches...nevermind.

13. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Couldn't have said it any better. After 4 years you can't keep saying injuries are the problem, because if that's the problem then it's another problem. :shrug:

• Like Like x 1
  14. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Damn that some Confucius **** right there....I like it.:smiley1:

15. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    9.2 million dollars for Dupree in 2019? How is that possible? I must be reading that wrong. There's no way he gets that money from the Steelers or any other team, unless he has a pro bowl/ team MVP 2018 season.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    Clooney though has had an all pro season and at times look even more dominant than watt. He killed Brady in that ne playoff game and had they not had brock osweiler they probably would have won. Dupree has done nothing close to that.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    He's just average. Not good nor great he's just there. I dont see him jump off the screen or film as a playmaker. With his capabilities physically he could be a lot better but he has a poor football skillset. He's probably much more athletic than von Miller is but Miller is a 100000x better football player regarding skillset and technique.

18. Ender

Ender

Apr 5, 2014
    You may be right. He doesn't seem to have very good football instincts.

19. coldrolled

coldrolled Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2014
    Should have hired Greene and removed Porter.. This poor OLB execution keeps falling to the coaches.