1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Why not Harrison Phillips?

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by LoneGranger, Apr 19, 2018.

1. LoneGranger

LoneGranger Well-Known Member

May 5, 2016
    I like relentless player, and wrestling background. Wrestler are all about leverage and conditioning. Another smart player. Strong? 42 reps enough?

Harrison Phillips, Stanford (6-4, 307): His 42 reps on the bench made him the 2018 combine champ for all positions. But that's not the only reason NFL teams will likely fall in love with Phillips. His size makes him scheme-diverse, he has a reputation as a relentless player, and his wrestling background — he was a three-time Nebraska state champion in high school — will serve him well in the pits. He's not the most athletic player but gets into the backfield regularly, amassing 14½ sacks and 27 tackles for loss over the past two seasons. But what may really distinguish Phillips is his intellect. He graduated from Stanford in 3½ years with a double major and is already on the board of a non-profit organization. Projected: Round 1-2

2. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    As much as I would like to draft him, there are simply not enough spots within the defensive end position; his main projection.

Tuitt, Alualu and Heyward and Walton are all solid. What we need is a backup nose tackle. While using Phillips in that role does sound enticing, he is best deployed as a three tech, one gap defensive tackle.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Is he better suited to play a 4/3 or 3/4?

4. Watt Wack

Watt Wack Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2017
    Bottom line, we just have way too many holes before DE. ILB and S are the obvious ones, but I'd draft almost ANY position early on this team ahead of DE. ILB, S, TE, RB, NT and OLB. ANY of them are needed more than DE.

5. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    He will be drafted if the Steelers believe he is the best available player. There isn't any position on this team that will be off limits regardless of what people believe about holes and needs. The Steelers don't generally draft for needs and holes. That's how teams get into trouble. People just need to trust in the Steelers process. It's been successful for many many years.

• Like Like x 1
  6. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    Add CB to that list as well. We have no idea what Sutton is going to turn into. Can he stay healthy? I like what I saw from him but he is a question mark. Coty Sensebaugh sucks. Gay is gone. Hilton is slot only. Seems to me we need to draft a corner.

To the OP, I like what I read about Phillips too. Like WW said we just can't afford to spend a pick on a DE with our other glaring needs.

7. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Tim Settle is an intriguing prospect to me. For a big guy he is light on his toes, and can get low when he needs to.

8. Watt Wack

Jul 29, 2017
    Yea, I should have included CB as well. I'm not even sure Burns is an above average starter as well. Maybe not even average. He is 46th of 64 possible starting outside CBs....and I think that rating is pretty dead on.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...ng-the-top-outside-cornerbacks-of-2017-season

9. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    But Harrison is more of a DT/NT than DE.

It may not be a perceived position of need, but the way our run defense never really got their act together all year, even with Shazier. Maybe we can use one?

10. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    I've been pimping Settle, Looks like a young Hampton ( That's beastly ) Would love to get hom in the 3rd ( probably to late ) Is 2nd, to high?

11. Watt Wack

Jul 29, 2017
    No argument from here; I strongly believe we need a stud NT to make this D work. This D only excelled when we had a Steed or Hampton at NT. If Phillips is a stud NT I would entertain it. If we could get Vita I'd love it but it ain't gonna happen.

12. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

Jan 1, 2018
    I think Hargrave is way underrated. He had a better season last year than people give him credit for. I would leave our D line alone. What we need is NFL capable linebackers and safteys.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Definitely. He had some very strong games last year but he was battling back problems. Thats my biggest concern with him, those injuries and linger.

As for CB, if Josh Jackson is there at 28, Id be very tempted even if there is a good ILB there.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    Love Phillips. Love what he could be as a 3-4 DE.

Just don't see it as big of a need given that we would have to take him at #28.

He could play 4-3 DT as well.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    I doubt Settle goes before the 5th rd.

16. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    If we are truly talking about cornerbacks, the only one I see that the Steelers would be interested in is Jaire Alexander from Louisville. As asinine as that sounds, he is the only Round One candidate we have either met or have brought in for a pre draft visit.

Keep in mind that both Tomlin and Colbert do not always go to a Pro Day to just see one propsect a la Lamar Jackson. In fact, the team has been reported to have had some Pro Day Dinner's with him and other Louisville players the night before.

If he is the pick, I would not mind it if all options are exhausted by then. He is very sticky in man coverage and can play off or zone. He is also a special teams player; more versatility being a big selling point Coach Tomlin. Add the fact he does not fear anyone and that is definitley an "alpha dog" mentality this team has longed for since Ike Taylor.

17. Disco1981

Mar 20, 2017
    If everybody likes him so much...Why would he last until the 5th round

18. coldrolled

coldrolled Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2014
    Tuitt may be over rated too.

19. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Who said everybody likes him?

20. Disco1981

Mar 20, 2017
    Every mock I seen had him going 2nd, 3rd at the latest...I would constitute that as everybody

21. LoneGranger

LoneGranger Well-Known Member

May 5, 2016
    Do the Steelers select for need or the best available player?

22. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

Jan 1, 2018
    The Steelers select the best player available at a position of need.

• Agree Agree x 2