1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Lewis Predicts He will Be A Probowl CB

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by RobVos, May 25, 2012.

1. RobVos

RobVos Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
  2. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I love the confidence.

3. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    Aim for greatness...now back it up with actions. :herewego:

4. SteelByDesign

SteelByDesign Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    His first goal should be hold off Cortez Allen, and be a starter week 1

5. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    Last year Mcfadden was the starter on opening day, got replaced by gay and Lewis, a once raw rookie full of potential was coming into his own. A lockout, shortened camp with no ota's and new DB coach ( Lake) Lewis was held back as did Coach Tomlin a year earlier for his " stupid stuff".

He has called Coach Lake the BEST coach he's ever had. He has all the OTAs and mini camp and a Full Training camp this year and a much more fully mental grasp of what is required in this defense.

If he doesn't make the probowl, which is a monumental task in itself, it won't be a terrible thing but if he gets replaced as a starter....aka Mcfadden... then that is a different thing entirely.

I for one think he can do it and look forward to watching it happen this year.

Cajun-

6. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Well put, Cajun.

As long as he doesn't start backing this up with further guarantees about beating the Patriots, then I'll be happy.

7. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    I like the goal setting, but I don't expect him to accomplish this. How many times has Taylor been in the Pro Bowl?

It is tough for the Steelers CBs to get credit, there is always that, well they wouldn't be anything without all that pressure their LBs put on the QB.

I will be happy with a solid starter. I will be overjoyed if he can eliminate guys in matchups the way Ike can. This makes our D even more flexible. You can basically go one on one with both receivers, leaving others on the field to eliminate maybe 3 other guys out in patterns assuming they don't need to keep someone in for blitz pickup.

8. oldschool

oldschool Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I love the desire and if he gets 5 INT's with a growth in regular performance he has a great shot.

If Ike had more Int's he would have been to a few pro bowls also.

9. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    Even though in 10' he did dumb things I don't think he is as mouthy as Mr. Smith!!!!

Cajun-

10. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    So true. If you get 10 INTs and allow 100 TDs every year, you won't just make the Pro Bowl, you'll make the Hall of Fame. Getting 1 INT and allowing 1 TD will get you nothing.

11. numbah58

numbah58 Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I love the confidence.. Now go get it done!

12. Emerald Steel

Emerald Steel Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2011
    If Lewis has a probowl season, I will be pleasantly surprised. If ANY of our DBs (not counting Troy) make the probowl, I will be very happy.

We definitely need more turnovers this next season. Hopefully he'll be an INT machine.

13. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    i'm glad he said he wants to be a pro bowler instead of i want to be like willie gay and mcfadden. as for ike, he played in our zone system and was good at it. he wasen't just there for pass defense, he was also there as a run stopper. these new guys are better man cover guys then they are run stuffer zone coverage corners like ike. there was a time during ike's career that we were one of the only 3-4 teams around, and that didn't fair well for him to be a top corner in the league. he was a top corner in our system which required a different skillset then most other corners. he was responsible for run defense too. most corners in the league really weren't. just a different defensive scheme he was asked to play in. if in his hayday, he was put into a man scheme he may have made more probowls and interceptions. in those schemes, he would have to play the receivers more and think less about run support. it just wasen't what we asked him to do. that is going to change some with these guys. alot of the reason i think ike would also do well at FS within the next couple of years. :cool:

14. cory_86

cory_86 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    haha, thought exactly the same thing when i saw the article first at work :D

15. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Awesome, now put in the work and make it happen.

16. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Maybe he should win the starting job first. Remember Kordell Stewart and his talk about making the Hall of Fame, just go out and play.

17. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I like his confidence, now if he can translate that to the field
    we may have something.Make yourself better Keenan, you can do it, along
    with our other CB's.Keep watching tape, keep working on your technique
    outwork your competitors and opponents.

18. bigsteelerfaninky

bigsteelerfaninky Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    He's been hanging with Wallace way too much

19. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Interesting factoid number 136:
    Not one player in the history of the NFL that has ever predicted he would be a Pro-Bowl player has actually gone on to become one. Hope he's the first because that's good news for us. :praying:

20. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    heck , i'd like to have them all think that. what should they think? i'm going into this season as the 28th best player at my position. :shrug: :cool:

21. D0bre Shunka

D0bre Shunka Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2012
    A Probowl CB for the Steelers?!?!?!

Keep clicking the cleats together ("I think I can, I think I can...)

22. HugeSnack

Oct 17, 2011
    As the poster above reminded me, Kordell did. Although I don't think he guarenteed it or anything, he just said something along the lines of, "I think/hope I can make it to the Pro Bowl, and then the Hall of Fame." He made the Pro Bowl twice.

23. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Finally a cb with a goal to be great.If Im not mistakened, aren't he and wallace from the same hometown or something?

24. HugeSnack

Oct 17, 2011
    I think they've been best friends for a really long time, since they were kids.

25. oldschool

oldschool Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Yup, best buds and even started in college together also, but Wallace moved on to another school after while because of oportunity issues I believe.

I love having best friends and family members on the same squad. I think it not only keeps up tight and cohesive locker room, but makes those players work harder to maintain their roster spot to retain that close bond. A position on a team in the NFL is a procarious thing to hold on to and very rare to have family and old friends to enjoy the ride with. I really really wanted Mike Pouncy... Oh well, we have the two next best options after that with :yeehaw: Gilbert and now Rainey.