1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Hypothetical situation

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by BK99, Mar 28, 2018.

1. BK99

BK99 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    The media is making a big deal over Eric Reid not being signed so I thought this might be fun to look at. We all know most didn't care for the kneeling deal but I have a hypothetical I want to run by you.

What would you think if they offered Reid a 2 year deal at vet minimum? I know it isn't remotely realistic that he would take such a deal but could the media complain given he is offered a deal?

Would Reid take it if maybe you add incentives totaling like 3 million if he makes 1st team all-pro and has 5 interceptions and maybe 10 tackles for a loss?

The final thought, would Reid be an upgrade over Davis? I'm thinking yes but the only way I could even get behind him being signed is vet minimum and only for 2 years and add the incentives to force him to play his best ball if he wants more.

What say you Steeler Nation? Do you put aside harsh feelings for a gift contract that makes the team better? And remember, I understand it isn't realistic, I just want to see if anyone would support him being brought in on the cheap to replace Davis.

2. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Need to get younger and faster not older and slower.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    I'm sure some of the crap show spillage that is kaepernick and the others that chose to champion whatever cause it was has some to do with it. However I also acknowledge the fact that neither Kap or Reid are top shelf or highly sought after players... Simple as that.

Similar arguement was made for Tebow. Who'd sign him for his religious circus of distraction and ultimately settling on the fact that he really is not going to ever be a good QB. Of course he never got the same spear headed coverage and ultimately appears to accept the fact that he wasn't going to make it as opposed to hiring a law team to boo hoo a collusion law suit. Great athletes all of em... Not so great QB's 2/3 of em... And not Really a very good safety according to his team and their fans, as well as the rest of the league. Another mouth piece with little amount of inspiring tape.

Really wish common sense would prevail over this hurt feeling crap.

4. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    he would be an upgrade

5. dobbler-33

Nov 13, 2011
    not hard to upgrade the safety spot from what we saw last season. Hard to justify Mitchell money for another down trending mouth piece who might have a decent to good season or 2 but he's not who we need.

6. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    ........he really is not ever going to be a good QB........except for against us........fixed it for ya!

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  7. steelcityclash

steelcityclash Well-Known Member

Mar 25, 2018
    Reid is only 25 I think

8. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I don't see them giving up on Davis just yet, we will get a young stud safety in the draft.

9. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I think Davis had a better year than most. He did lead the team in tackles and interceptions. He also had a sack and a forced fumble. Sure the gronk play sticks out to most but if they give us what was a catch from Jesse than it wouldn't be as much of a sore spot. One play doesn't define a good season.

I'm sure not anxious to run this kid out of town yet. I don't think any rookie is going to have a better season than he did last year. Add a new coach that can still teach him and I think we will have a good player. Add a good player like Burnett back there with him and it will make a huge difference.

This was only year two for him. He was thrown into the fire with a lot of changing parts in scheme and player around him wise. People tend to forget we have made many changes in our defensive backfield since last year. Cockrell out haden in. Gay out Hilton in. Mitchell out golden in. Haden out Sutton in. Gay in and out. Wilcox in Mitchell out. Davis two years ago was thrown into the slot at first and then to safety. Burns was benched this year partially for a game. Shazier out made a difference too. So many things were changing around him. No I think we have a pretty good player and it should get better as we stabilize the d-backfield around him. :cool:

10. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    I think he said he is not taking a knee anymore, so somebody will pick him up.

11. Fugitive60

Fugitive60 Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2016
    Would rather draft his brother.

12. ST-ILL-ERS FAN

ST-ILL-ERS FAN Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011

He's 26 and according to most experts he's top 10 actually at his position. Your opinions appear to be uninformed and biased. Maybe if you didn't listen to the biased right and did your own research you could make well informed, objective comments. it shouldnt be that easy to expose yourself. There's one issue only that's keeping Reid from getting signed and that's because he chose to kneel and was outspoken about it. Only the intellectually dishonest or casual fan would claim different. He would be an immediate starter on any of the 31 other teams out there (besides the team he last played for).

The same can be said about Kaep...maybe he wouldn't be a starter but to say he couldn't be the #2 on a team (including the Steelers) is plain ridiculous. I could name at least 5 team's he could have started for w/o thinking twice.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2018
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  13. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    And Kap would've been an upgrade over Jones.

14. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    :popcorn:

Kaepernick threads are almost as good as the Vick threads a few years back.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  15. oldschool

oldschool Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I like that he took a knee (Kap too). I would have zero problem had our team did it. In fact I would have respected it.

If they were to get him with a contract that suits the team then I say we do it. Hopefully we get him at a steal.

16. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012

The thing about the Kaepernick topic is that the clown began kneeling only because he was benched and it didn't have anything to do with the National Anthem initially. The media circus then spun the whole thing to be about BLM and a hatred for everything that went with that movement.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  17. ST-ILL-ERS FAN

Oct 25, 2011
    look at the clown calling someone else a clown. You come off as being ignorant as hell. If he was kneeling because he lost the starting position then why did he continue kneeling after he got the starting position back?? Not to mention he hadn't started since Nov 2015. He didn't start protesting til Aug-Sep 16 so your statement makes no sense.

He made it quite clear from the beginning his stance was against social injustice. Only morons like yourself twisted the narrative and said the issue was with the flag and the military. I could embarrass you and make you eat your words real quick, but I can tell you're someone who gets off on making a fool out of himself.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2018
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  18. dobbler-33

Nov 13, 2011
    Come on guy... Ive done my own research as do quite a few folks here. He simply is not as good as you wish him to be. Nor is kap. At one time I thought different but Kap regressed and did so in a big and noticeable way. The whole world saw it not just some of us folks that "appear" influenced by the bias right HAHAHAHAHAHA sorry still laughing at that one.

Reid isn't even top 10 at his spot in the 9er fan base and being on the west coast I'm surrounded by em. As well as force fed their games and the biased west coast sports news in this region. Seen him in action quite a bit and don't really see him as anything more than okay. Is he better at his position than what kaep ended up being at his? Without a doubt. So fret not, I'm sure he'll get picked up by someone. If not, oh well.

19. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    I only wish the girl Colin Kaepernick kept as a drugged sex slave could find some way to protest. Maybe she can take a knee in the parking lot outside the trauma center she undoubtedly still visits.

20. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I still put the anti American above that other piece of $#|+

21. ST-ILL-ERS FAN

Oct 25, 2011
    As far as Reid is concerned I don't know if you're paying more attention to fans who took issue with his kneeling then actual people have credibility but it appears that way...i don't accept opinions where it's quite obvious it's driven by someone's personal opinion of someone

According to Pro Football Focus, Reid enjoyed his best professional season, posting a healthy 81.4 overall grade (which tops his rookie year Pro Bowl campaign). In a Week 17 win over the Los Angeles Rams, Reid shined, earning the PFF “Game Ball,” while amassing four stops and a 96.5 grade.

Shutdown Corner ranked Reid as the eighth-best defensive player available in free agency.

Additionally, Bleacher Report recognized the former LSU standout as the 10th-best strong safety in the NFL.

https://247sports.com/nfl/san-franc...nt-value-will-be-tough-to-determine-115202904

My biggest question is being honest for once

1) is Reid currently better than any safety on the Steelers current squad??

2) is Kaepernick better than any of the backups on the current squad??

22. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    I love conversations like this. Eric Reid chose to kneel for the anthem. That was his choice. It was his freedom of speech to do so. He knew there could be risks, but he chose to do it anyway. Guess what? Like it or not, NFL owners also have freedom of speech. They don't owe any player a job. They don't want that type of negative PR associated with their teams. That is their choice. They are well within their rights. They do not owe Eric Reid a job.

Its funny how protesting was so important to Reid. Now that it is hitting him in the pocketbook it's not so important to him anymore.

As for Kaepernick, he is just flat out not good. To answer your question Landry Jones is heads and tails better than Colin Kaepernick. Kaep is completely incapable of running a conventional offense.

• Agree Agree x 2
  23. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    1) Not when you weigh in all factors.

2) No.

24. Ender

Ender

Apr 5, 2014
    This is my issue right here. We don't need another strong safety. We have Davis and we picked up Burnett both of whom are strong safeties (although they may try Davis at Free). All I've been able to find and read on Reid is that he's not great in coverage. We need a true free safety center fielder type. That's why I like the younger Reid or Jessie Bates in the draft.

To answer the questions:
    1) no, I think Burnett is the better more versatile player
    2) no, I don't think Kap would be better suited to run our offense than Jones or Dobbs

25. ST-ILL-ERS FAN

Oct 25, 2011
    What factors is that?? The kneeling disregarded.