1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

So Does This Make You Feel Better or Worse?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by BigBensBigBong, Mar 20, 2018.

1. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  2. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    It was always a catch. The nfl just now learn how to play like all the other levels of football. Now my grasscutters will quit asking why they catch better than nfl recievers

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    If they call it the Jesse James Rule I will feel vidictated and give the one fingered salute to all Pats fans and those who argued the point with me.

• Like Like x 3
  4. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Neither.

What's done is done. The rule itself is beyond asinine but those were the official rules during those points in time.

Now that the league has finally began to understand what constitutes as a catch, let this be a lesson to them. Seldom mess with something that works unless it really needs to be.

Within the same vein, why the original rule was changed due to the catch Calvin Johnson made in that fateful 2010 game against the Chicago Bears will always have me second guess NFL Officiating as a whole; nevermind numerous other events and incidents that pre-date that.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Worse. That bogus call altered the playoff picture in a major way.

I would have preferred us opening against the Titans after a long layoff.

Maybe the same results in the end or maybe not but would have been more favorable road to the SB.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. vlad582

vlad582 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2017
    The Steelers own arrogance was their problem because they had their head up their rears and wrote off the jags. Would have probably been the same thing with the titans. They were mentally checked out of the game from the start because they were looking ahead to the pats and it showed on the field. They came out flat and decided to start playing just before halftime. That may work in the regular season against the Browns but doesn't work against good teams in the playoffs. All those late heroics all season finally caught up to them, bottom line you play 60 minutes especially in the playoffs.

7. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    They hung 42 points on the Jags. I think theyd have beat the Titans handedly.

Dont disagree with a lot of what you said, but Jags were a much worse matchup for them.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    Worse because we are going to get screwed by the new rule somehow. There's going to be a lot of questionable catches now. I don't think Dez should have been a catch. Huge difference in the ball hitting the ground and bouncing in the air and catching it to catching, 2 steps, reaching for goal line, and ball possibly hitting the ground with two hands on it. I don't get what's so hard. All they needed to do is 1) Change this goal line fumble bs. If a team gets all the way to the other teams 1 and extends for the goal line and loses control. The other team doesn't deserve the ball. Those plays should remain with the team and maybe penalize them and make them start at the 5 or 10 at the most. 2) Just because you are catching the ball in the end zone and vertical. You shouldn't be allowed to trap the ball on the ground.

9. WinTheNorth

WinTheNorth Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Agree with AQL... the rule was the rule and ultimately I think the steelers were too focused on NE and I believe that would not have changed whatever the next game was.

Sorry for going a little off topic here but.... Kinda curious what the new rule would have meant for Troy's (non) interception in the colts playff game.

That game... groan... i gotta say... hard to know which gave me more grey hairs... that playoff game or the cardinals super bowl after LF scored that TD on us.

10. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    The issue wasn’t the catch rule - it was what constituted indisputable evidence to overturn a play on review.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    It wouldn't have mattered anyway. Porous D would have cost them eventually. It may prolonged the inevitable by a week... Steelers may have scraped by the Titans in divisional round, but lost to either Jax or NE in the AFCC.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Just want to say it's not like we scored 42 at will.

1. Jags were playing with large leads allowing them to have some cushions

2. Some of that scoring came on miraculous 4th down plays.

Notice how whenever we got within reach we couldn't tie? Playcalling and Jags dictated what we did lol. I'll say it again, we were never winning that game.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Doesn’t make me feel any different. It’s irrelevent. It has no affect on the past.

• Agree Agree x 3
  14. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    What's done is done. I like the fact that they are making some changes, but the sting remains. I also like them visiting the pass interference penalty. 15 yards for incidental contact and spot foul if you maul or tackle the receiver. Obviously it will be a slipper slope if replay is not utilized.

15. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    I am over it. I'm glad they are fixing the rules. Steelers had a home game against the Jaguars. They blew that game every way you can possibly blow a game. The James play sucked, but it's not the reason we lost in the playoffs.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    As far as looking back and asking "what if", if it`s a catch we are #1 seed and I believe we beat Titans. NE, maybe. Eagles, I don`t think so, but if you get to the SB, anything can happen.

17. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    We couldnt tie because we could never stop them.

Yes, Steelers made some great plays for TD's but Titans defense isnt as good as the Jags either.

Theres absolutely no way that the Titans arent a more favorable matchup then the Jags, especially after such a long layoff. And that is without a doubt what that call changed.

• Like Like x 1
  18. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    we had opportunities to tie when we were down 1 score with the ball but kept getting 3 and out's. Just shows how potent our offense CAN be

19. Mailman

Mailman Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2017
    I don’t really think about what if?What makes anyone think we would of won two games at our place when we couldn’t even win one?Yes,home field does matter but the Jags beat us twice there.Everyone is 0-0 when the playoffs start and we didn’t get done.

20. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    The rule change will screw the Steelers on defense somehow. Gronk will bobble one at the goal line that wouldn't have been a TD last season, but will be a TD this season.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    I still think it's a catch, I think it was a touchdown. Bad part is it had to happen in our biggest regular season game, against an opponent that is in the Steelers heads. With how it went down and the drama that followed the Steelers got too focused on the Patriots and getting revenge, they forgot about winning the game (jags) to get them there, in the playoffs.

As talented as the players are on this team. The lack focus and being disciplined and will probably keep them from winning a Super Bowl. They just never seem to come together as a team. Too many me..me.. attitudes. Which is sad, because this is probably the most talented offensive attack the Steelers have ever had in their history.

22. Mr.HammerZz

Mr.HammerZz Well-Known Member

Mar 13, 2018
    Vindicated. Further clarify's the leagues affinity for the cheaters too...We all knew it was a catch. We all knew we got bent over like usual when it comes to the Cheatriots.